Sign in to follow this  
Impulse 9

[Discussion] Teamspeak removal of flavor icons & individual department icons.

The unilateral deleting of Barracks without notice.

The only time this was ever done was once, by Fusionpoo. he was heavily chastised by all the other officers and told not to do it again. If you think you are part of a authoritarian community because the idiocy of one officer, once, I would say you are expecting too much from a free online community run by volunteers. You'd probably be expecting too much from a pay service. If channels vanished at other times it was from server resets and your channel being semi-permanent rather than permanent. Semi-permanent channels are deleted by the server automatically when it resets. If you or anyone else would like their barracks channel set to permanent, you need to petition an officer.

Back on topic:

I will meet with the other officers this weekend and we will hash out some amendments or tweaks to the current TS SOPs to address the concerns and opinions brought up in this thread.

who is in charge of handing out the regular icons? because I havnt had one in months and I do belive im a regular here. Please and thank-you!

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Some of the vanity icons are kind of dumb, but they don't create factions or hurt the community in any real way.

who is in charge of handing out the regular icons? because I havnt had one in months and I do belive im a regular here. Please and thank-you!

Any officer. Poke one of us when you are on.

Impulse I agree that customs sounds can cause problems. But that was not what I cited. Be fair.

Everyone... It is not the details as much as the trend I wanted to highlight. It is not one persons actions but rather overall tone. I want you to "not seeing the forest for the trees". Get it?

I can think of only one expansion of personal express in my UO time. Only one :(

Impulse I agree that customs sounds can cause problems. But that was not what I cited. Be fair.

Technically the max file size allowed = max size for a custom skin. This also is shared with custom radio sounds.

Understand?

Again... sigh...

(You can allow custom faces and not custom sounds... not my point however)

It is easy to get caught up with details. I am sorry I am failing so badly in conveying the bigger picture. All my posts in this thread are believe it or not are on the original Impulse point... abet an encompassing point.

Please allow me to try again. I really do not like long posts. I will try to keep it short.

Forget the details, mechanics, preconceptions of original founding intent, preconceptions of current personal intent, actions of others in the past, any micro focus or any prejudice of TS icons for just a minute. Just let it go. Step back. Step way back and just look how we treat others in our community. We are a community. I think you will agree a really good community.

Often at UO we completely fail to look at the big picture. It almost seems to be in the nature of how forums operate… not just ours by any means. We argue over the smallest points… to death. There is a tendency by many to force… even by vote… their will on others. There is an undercurrent of struggle… when there does not need to be. Often I am left wondering why. Why do we do this to ourselves over and over again? This is not about Impulse at all. I have said this before. There is no one at UO I respect more than Impulse. This is about the nature of online communities… how things are done and our opportunity to create a better way. This is about a tone. This is about treating others the way we could only hope others would treat us. This is about treating Members with the same respect we treat Regulars. This is about treating Officers not only with the same respect we treat Regulars for once but also with an additional tone of appreciation for their efforts for the greater good. This is about keeping it fun.

When the Officers meet this weekend to refine the SOPs I can only hope the first and primary intent is how they can make UO a great community for everyone... a really fun place. Maybe even let Members have a TS flavor icon so they can feel more a part of the community and can express their personalities. Any action should not be a projection of power rather a projection of the potential of how great UO can be. Open things up. Think fun!