Sign in to follow this  
Impulse 9

[Discussion] Teamspeak removal of flavor icons & individual department icons.

Simply put they are too close to factions and or cliques.

At best they let you identify an officer and if they are in proper department, for any questions that one may have.

I personally feel they only serve as a distraction from the merit's of the individual.

Flavor icons might help with some morale issues, but they do nothing in general for the maintained well being of the community.

Visiting groups/communities would have no additional icons, nor would preexisting groups/communities. They may tag themselves with their own names if they wish to represent themselves in such manner.

If turned into a poll this would be phrased in a manner, to establish the only ICONS to be used in TS would identify Officer/Regular.

Only one ICON per individual. One tint for Officer, one tint for Regular.

Departments would be defined but with no additional ICON basis.

What's a little flavor going to hurt anyway? If people are upset that NoDebate happens to have a silly 'John Rambo' or the many other silly icons some people have, then they're just... Well, being silly. Past that, the literal factions (Goons, TMP, etc) use them for self-identification purposes and I highly doubt that TMP and so on identifying themselves as such will be bringing down the community as we know it.

Past that, their part of some people's identifies. A new player would know that you, for instance, are god and lord of us all being that you have tags for everything, while a UOTC person could possibly help them. Similarly, people with specific game tags (I don't really recall any but the Flight simmers) would be able to recognize who is part of the group without necessarily knowing everyone off hand, thus able to get people together for their group games.

It is more convenient, all in all, and not exactly some big evil that really needs squashing.

I smell my server group tag.

*checks below his nostrils, to spot an unidentified tag floating back in forth in a gradual waving motion*

Oh... Huh... What's that doing there?

I am all for removing "flavor" tags IFF it presents clear and serious technical issues for the TS3 server. Otherwise I say, do we really need to get into politics again? Live and let live.

It doesn't NoDebate.

And I think its a horrible idea to eliminate these icons. I see no reason to - there has never been an instance where a visitor has been unable to identify officers, as far as I know. Being "Too close to factions and cliques" - not sure what this means and what relevance it has.

All Regulars should be able to help any member or new participant within this community.

Regulars have stepped up by way of voting and interest within the community and accepted those tennents of responsibly.

A race for the most icons and or favored flavor icons accomplishes nothing for the good of the group.

Individual acheivment icons while fun in the short term are not maintained by any standard, so that the acquisition of them at present, appears to be one time only, and then only when certain members are present to respect these "creations". If there was a more defined cycle of use, on a standardized set of icons. This may benefit the playerbase and community in a fashion that could be good for the morale of the community. This is not currently the case.

Individual icons while they have no impact on server performance, and are generally light hearted also serve no applicable function.

The creation of mythos behind individual icons or self created rules behind them should not reflect upon gameplay or be enacted upon a playerbase that are unaware or unable to have these "house rules" defined.

At current there are no standards to addition or removal of flavor icons, or "event icons" "activity icons". The addition of such "acheivment" tokens of status have been done in an adhoc manner, and maintained by none.

By definition at present Event icons, nor Activity icons should not be allowed, nor should accomplishment icons, since they go above and beyond the one allowed icon out side of Regular and Officer Status.

So, the problem with Event, Activity and Accomplishment icons would be that they would encourage some players to behave in a certain way to obtain said TS icons?

If I'm understanding this correctly, your reasoning for removing not-needed icons would be the same reasoning as to why we don't have pins, ribbons and other similar symbols to give players attending UOTC courses.

The flavor icons are sorta kitchy, I'd get rid of them asap. I don't know if I'd go the route of one icon per person (hard to distinguish a GSO from a GM at that point) total though. I've dropped into some other TS's where they abuse icons and it looks terrible to a first time user (Your game admins are 5 Star Generals? What!?!). Then again there needs to be a clear distinction of the different officer roles. If there could be a max I'd say 3 icons as a trial, and then from there test other ideas (2 per, or 1 per person).

When I came in I thought the rule was one flava icon per person (excluding officer tags)? If that is enforced, then sure. But make it apply to "challange" ones and "achievement" tags. If someone wants to display ahnuld, then remove all other ones. Simple as. I think if it's one per person it is fine because they are funny to look at.

Is there any flava icons which people think are causing groups or making "house rules"? If so, then they need to be looked at.

To me it doesn't matter, I don't see the need in removing them, but I only have one, so I couldn't care less

I think that personal flava icons are ok as long as it dosen't degrade into things like "qualified UO pilot" "official UO sniper". I think most of them are in good taste and are pretty funny. As for the TMP and Goon tags, it is mainly for identification purposes. The tags are something UO has always had and I belive it would be taking a part of the community's identity away.

When I came in I thought the rule was one flava icon per person (excluding officer tags)? If that is enforced, then sure. But make it apply to "challange" ones and "achievement" tags. If someone wants to display ahnuld, then remove all other ones. Simple as. I think if it's one per person it is fine because they are funny to look at.

Is there any flava icons which people think are causing groups or making "house rules"? If so, then they need to be looked at.

yes one per person, if they want a stupid achievement icon make it the only one.

In my opinion the achievement ones cause more clique/ribbon/pin issues then any others. We don't give rewards here remember, delete them all together.

Our Charter: 1.2 - Factions will not be tolerated.

I think of fractions as a personnel split within the A SINGLE game. For example if ZZEZ wanted to start his own ArmA squad and/or Impulse wanted his own ArmA squad. To have a fraction you need to split a whole.

In the case of UOAF the icon seems more like a Falcon/BMS unity thing. Unity does not strike me as a bad thing.

A faction is a group which is acting a political bloc to undermine the charter or otherwise subvert the rule of law. At no point did that line in the charter mean task oriented groups or open clubs within UO - it meant groups with a political agenda which were not in the best interest of the majority community. In other words, the term faction from the charter is the same definition you will find in an encyclopedia or from a study of history. Specifically the word factions was in response to inhouse squads at TG which basically controlled the admin team and were able to subvert the rules by doing so. i.e. the 18th and omega IHS had admins in their squads, so they were able to do whatever they wanted.

UOAF is a UO organization for the betterment of UO and is open to all UO members, just like Purple Unicorns or the Minecraft Team. We are politically neutral when it comes to UO, because we don't play a game which is reflected in the charter or SOPs. If anyone thinks UOAF is doing contrary and is somehow a faction, I feel sorry for them. Calling UOAF a faction is like calling Interpol a faction.

I have no interest in playing here if we are not allowed to organize to play other games.

All Regulars should be able to help any member or new participant within this community.

Regulars have stepped up by way of voting and interest within the community and accepted those tennents of responsibly.

Red herring? What does this have to do with the issue at hand?

A race for the most icons and or favored flavor icons accomplishes nothing for the good of the group.

Can you provide an example in which this has occurred? And if so, what negative consequences did it have?

Individual acheivment icons while fun in the short term are not maintained by any standard, so that the acquisition of them at present, appears to be one time only, and then only when certain members are present to respect these "creations". If there was a more defined cycle of use, on a standardized set of icons. This may benefit the playerbase and community in a fashion that could be good for the morale of the community. This is not currently the case.

All the TS icons do have a technical standard, none of them have special powers other than the Goons icon. What is a specific instance of a problem here?

The creation of mythos behind individual icons or self created rules behind them should not reflect upon gameplay or be enacted upon a playerbase that are unaware or unable to have these "house rules" defined.

Are you referring to NoDebate saying that only those who get X kills can get a John Rambo icon? That's false, and anyone may have the icon if they requested it. In another example, we are only giving UOAF icons out to those in UOAF for obvious reasons, just as we only give officer icons and UOTC instructor icons for obvious reasons. If it's not obvious enough: these icons necessitate membership to the respective bodies.

At current there are no standards to addition or removal of flavor icons, or "event icons" "activity icons". The addition of such "acheivment" tokens of status have been done in an adhoc manner, and maintained by none.

So? We can make SOPs in about 5 minutes to govern this. Just because SOPs don't exist for this does not mean we should do away with player customization altogether.

I think the UO symbol for regulars is good, and the officer ones are good as well, but I don't care much for the stupid ones like Ahnuld Challenge, UOAF, and random other ones. They don't do anything but show that other members are better than others even if that isn't what it is meant to symbolize.

This^

From the casual player's perspective who is coming here to... well, actually play ArmA:

I need to be able to identify GMs and maybe officers or instructors in case I or the server needs a helping hand.

Other than for those two icons I could not care less nor can I say I ever really bothered to look at any of them more closely (or at any of the other "extensions" that live south of the actual ArmA gaming channels for that matter).

Mouse over them maybe once but I dont know what they all are supposed to mean nor do I even want to know...

I think getting rid of the blatantly stupid ones that promote stupid shit like "John Rambo" or "One Drink Ahead" is a good idea, but I dont really care about the other ones too much.

I think getting rid of the blatantly stupid ones that promote stupid shit like "John Rambo" or "One Drink Ahead" is a good idea, but I dont really care about the other ones too much.

Can I ask how "One Drink Ahead" which is given to Irish members as a joke because of our stereotypical drunkenness promotes stupid shit? Real interested to hear the reasoning behind this NouLogic™

Can I ask how "One Drink Ahead" which is given to Irish members as a joke because of our stereotypical drunkenness promotes stupid shit? Real interested to hear the reasoning behind this NouLogic™

Because we need to know that you are Irish?

Because it promotes being drunk, or gives you an excuse to act/be drunk, which is against the charter if you are playing on the server?

Seeing that you and Boon are not stereotypically drunk, but actually drunk, that seems to be a fairly valid view point.

Because we need to know that you are Irish?

Can I ask what your point is? All of the flava tags are there for such a thing, flavour. As long as it is limited to one a piece then they are fine I think. Please don't come in here with that stupid reply when you know what the tags are for

Because it promotes being drunk, or gives you an excuse to act/be drunk, which is against the charter if you are playing on the server?

Seeing that you and Boon are not stereotypically drunk, but actually drunk, that seems to be a fairly valid view point.

I'm sorry, this is just ridiculous. Never have I been on the server drunk, never have I been on TS drunk, never have I gone, oh my fucking tiny image on TS gives me the ok to be drunk. This is actually retarded. How dare you just throw around things about myself you have no idea about. You're never on the bloody server so how would you know who is drunk and who isn't anyway.

I mean the only reason he brought up the "One Drink Ahead" thing is because of him and boon's problem with eachother. Never have we had a problem, or even anyone suggesting that icon means anything but a bloody laugh.

Edited by Sceaduwe
Remove inflamatory comment