Sign in to follow this  
ZZEZ

[Addon] Add F14 to modpack [2011-07-3]

Add F14 to modpack  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Add F14 to modpack

• Yes
    • no

This post is only partially in humor .. read and you will understand ... I just can't pass it by.

Can we add back the female mod ... because the last person (naval aviator) to qualify on the F14 was ....... as jaynus would say ..... wait for it ..... a woman.

See documentary Angels and Speed.

voting no as per krause's reasoning. This seems to be more work then it's worth, and most importantly it's not necessary, especially considering that this aircraft is not in use anymore by any army that we have in game. As I always say, we have aircraft that already fulfill this role in-game and adding another plane is pretty much worthless.

again, voting no.

Azzwort...BDUs are not used by the US Army anymore...you know its invalid reasoning as we have many missions set in the 80s and the F14 was retired in 2006 after participating in Iraq/Afghanistan war.

The difference with this plane is that its a twin-seat one requiring teamwork.

Because we use the other twin seat aircraft that already exist in-game all the time...right?

I do in my missions, reference Rex on Everon and Restoring Order on Takistan[would have been marines mission if we had blufor twin jet] if you think theres any bullshit going on or anyone pulling your leg.

I would have put twin-seats in all my missions that utilize air assets if we had blufor twin seat jets to begin with, which we don't.

Heres my mission list that will use the F14 should it pass:

Operation Boxer

Swift Delivery

Restoring Order[along with change to Marines]

Anubis

Will you vote yes now?:)

voting no as per krause's reasoning. This seems to be more work then it's worth, and most importantly it's not necessary, especially considering that this aircraft is not in use anymore by any army that we have in game. As I always say, we have aircraft that already fulfill this role in-game and adding another plane is pretty much worthless.

again, voting no.

Copied from other thread:

azzwort, so why are we having missions dating to early 80's and 90's, while we live in a year 2011? Giving argument that F-14 is not in service anymore in just wack. Both you, and me know that people make missions that are taking place 10-30 years ago.

no, serves no purpose beyond novelty.

I have to disagree. It certainly does serve a purpose when we have NO two-seater aircraft, and no true multirole aircraft, and no appropriate aircraft for the U.S.S. Nimitz carrier (assuming that passes which I'm pretty sure it will). Well that is unless you want to see F-35's for 80's/90's missions. In addition, it is one of the few aircraft that don't use MANDO MISSILES and thus will not screw up ACE. Finally... the community using FUN addons is not a novelty. Last time I checked we played UO to have FUN!!! YEs...FUN!!! If it's popular with mission makers and it gets used and the community has tons of fun with it...then it's a useful "novelty" in my opinion. Think about it...the DCU uniforms were DEFINITELY a novelty given that they were only used in Iraq for only about a year and a half or so and are not used by any other country that I'm aware of. I guess we can "make believe" that they are multicam or something just like we can "make believe" that the Harrier or F-35 is an F-14 Tomcat. Hey everyone, lets play "imagination time!"

again, voting no.

Okay, according to that reasoning let's remove all the old BDU units and older ACRE radios like the PRC-77 that aren't in use anymore by "armies we have in game". Sound fair?

PRC-77 is not an ACRE radio, it is an ACE radio.

When did it start to matter if something is used or not used anymore? These are cool, the addons we pass don't have to be current with military times. Cone on guys, that's like saying in all out missions a lone LHD off the shore by 1 mile is realistic.

I'll get my two point five cents into this to try and help clear some possible fog of war around why we wish to have the F-14 added. (Seeing as I pestered ZEZZ and then left him to it.)

The F-14;

- Was choosen due to being the only WORKING BLUFOR Carrier aircraft available, all other options including the upcoming F/A-18's required seperate addons such as the GLT Missilebox which is incompatable with ACE and our high player count missions.

- Provides a BLUFOR two seater aircraft, creating more teamwork opportunities over single seater aircraft.

- Provides a balanced range of options for mission makers in BLUFOR and OPFOR, as this comes with the supposed "strike" package versions for ground attack and multirole ops. Also included are OPFOR Iranian F-14's for ZEZZ to practice agai... I mean...

- Is very compatable with the Nimitz, has the right wingspan and a very tight turn around to allow it to move on the deck.

What the F-14 suffers;

- Low quality texturing, again. It isn't pretty to look at (Unless your an aerophobe and cross your legs everytime you beset your eyes upon the lines of an F-14)

- Is not in current USN service.

Again, it's worth mentioning that the previous config issues were ammended and this is a fully working aircraft with no ACE issues.

I concied to the argument that a lot of things we have are not in use anymore. With that said, still voting no as per krause's reasoning.

When did it start to matter if something is used or not used anymore? These are cool, the addons we pass don't have to be current with military times. Cone on guys, that's like saying in all out missions a lone LHD off the shore by 1 mile is realistic.

Judging by all the addon removal posts you pushed but a short time ago...are you fucking serious?

Logic would deem a mod not used, is a mod not necessary.

Yes, if Falcon were to add aircraft into his WACs, this airplane would find a fit purpose. However, it also seems that though it looks pretty, adding in more assets to the mod pack for their aesthetic value is like putting make-up on a fluffer.

Mission makers this is on you, shall this be something you would use to a point that it would find a frequent home in our missions or not? If no, let's wait for a more modern, capable, and versatile two-seat in the F-18 whenever they are ACE/ACRE compatible, thoroughly tested for such, and based upon the mod maker's opinion a ready craft for the cause.

Judging by all the addon removal posts you pushed but a short time ago...are you fucking serious?

My post was made to mean, used by the MILITARY.....not used.

Actually, you reply makes no sense other than an attack, because nobody was even talking up to that point about used addons verses unused to my knowledge.

I could have worded it better, but it was still understood given the post before mine....people started to talk about what the US uses now as opposed to what is does not.

Lets keep peoples posts in context, and stay off the disrespect....

Odd At current, again I'll state that in the length of time that ArmA 2 has been released, there are at current only three carrier aircraft available on Addon sites to us which are;

- The F-14 put forward here.

- An F-4, currently nothing known to be wrong with it since I last looked at the thing pre-OA.

- An Su-33.

An A-4, and F-18C exist in two mod packs but both have separate issues (RAC's), hence the F-14 is the best thing available to us at the moment.

And again the F/A-18 in-dev atm by meatball is a ground up Mando Missile aircraft which is known to be incompatable with ACE and high player counts.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=115958&page=34

So really, the F-14 in my opnion is a suitable aircraft as it provides us an all rounder BLUFOR/OPFOR two seat Strike/CAP/Multirole option for the Nimitz and other missions. Service life and current status should not be accounted for, why? Half of the people here still mix up the M4 and M16 between US Army and Marines... Especially now that the Nimitz is on a good streak to pass, bringing the F-14 in with the Nimitz will complete the "package" that mission makers may want to fully implement the Nimitz, if we only pass the Nimitz then we will have no true cat and trap aircraft to deploy. Leaving us to rely again on the Su-30 to fill in for a fictional two seat Su-33 flown by the USN. Theres your realism.

Mission makers this is on you, shall this be something you would use to a point that it would find a frequent home in our missions or not? If no, let's wait for a more modern, capable, and versatile two-seat in the F-18 whenever they are ACE/ACRE compatible, thoroughly tested for such, and based upon the mod maker's opinion a ready craft for the cause.

I have already said which one of my current missions are going to get it, that mission list does not include any new ones - just current ones that are on the server, its going to appear in at least 4 missions right off the bat.

If you want to wait for a F-18...you are going to be waiting for eternity because the F18 being developed uses addons that are not compatible with our modpack, I feel like a broken record saying it - we are not going to get the F-18 and this is the second best alternative out there, to put it simply...this is a all or nothing for blufor twin seat jet, my biggest enjoyment in this game is teamwork hence why I like tanks and twin-seat jets/helicopters so much, because you have to use teamwork to operate the vehicle....just 1 guy flying a jet is not teamwork - its a lonewolf raining destruction.

@ Deathstrike

Maybe I was asleep when I have been writing my replies and posts, but I voted for this...I want it. My response was, who cares if the US does not use Tomcats anymore. I don't give a shit. One of my post was taken out of context, and partly my fault, cause I should have made it clearer.

We at UO as far as I am concerned don't stick 100% to REAL when it comes to our mods, and that is a good thing, because if we did, we would sacrifice fun for "real". And real was does not see the stuff we do.

Again, I am for this Mod, I am for the F-14. I don't know how else to say it at this point.

You guys bitch about how you can't have a twin seat Blufor jet. Then, when a suitable one comes up, we say it's not good enough? Are we spoiled? Do we have to have the absolute best? By reading through this, this isn't the best, it's the ONLY.

I'm sorry for going off lately in the voting threads, but we really are arguing over petty things and resorting to childish behavior.

I'm working on a mission using F-14's, Nimitz and Tropica map :).