cctoide

DCS: A-10C Warthog

I figured this demands a thread of its own for those who are interested.

You can now pre-order DCS: A-10C Warthog from ED and have instant access to a beta version of the simulator. This is a pre-order of the digital distribution version (i.e. download), not a boxed copy. There is already a beta build for download and it will be updated during development. The price is $59.99/€43.84.

Note that as a beta it may or may not include documentation and other features at this point, depending on what's in the beta forum (I haven't seen it yet).

There is no NDA for this beta, though I'd go easy on the criticism in public forums since this is a very early beta build.

There should be a link to the beta forums in the page you see after the purchase has gone through, IIRC. It seems some people are having trouble accessing the forum though, as apparently it assumes you already had an account on the forum and the account name matched the one on the DCS website. If you ask in the appropriate board there I am sure they will help you out.

I am currently setting up my controls, I've already flown a bit and I have to say that regardless of what bugs and unimplemented features might lie within, the beta is worth it just for flying around and checking out the flight model.

[video=youtube]

I'm probably going to buy this and be incommunicado for 2+ weeks. :o

My first game for computer was TOP GUN (MAC).

My favourite plane ever is the A-10.

As a child I was playing with army men in the sand when I saw an A-10 overfly my school and begged my dad to take me to an airshow until he complied.

I got to sit in the cockpit, hold the joystick and the pilot autographed a printout photo for me with the words "Keep looking up!" I lost it in a move some years back but I treasured that picture throughout my youth.

If it weren't for my poor working knowledge of mathematics, physics and my mild stigmatism which necessitates a light glasses prescription pilot would be my #1 goal in life...

Pu-Pu-Pu-Purchased.

And now to wait many many years for the torrent to work as the FTP wont let me in and the HTTP is 10kb/sec. Huuuzaaaaaaaah!

Still though, LOOKS FUCKING AWESOME. My poor PC probably wont be able to keep up :o

Hey cctoide, I noticed your post in the Beta forum and see you have a similar rig to me, all be it with a better GPU. What settings are you running it on and how smooth is it compared to FC2/DCS:BS?

Cheers

For my first run I turned all the settings to max, visibility medium, display res 512 and MSAA 8x with HDR and TSSAA enabled. In the first training mission I got very good framerates when looking down at the cockpit and the ground, but when looking up to see the rest of the world the framerate was slightly lower - about 14-18FPS I would say.

These settings are extreme though, especially the 8x MSAA, so I'll start messing with them tomorrow to see what works best. Shadows and antialiasing tend to kill performance the most, so I will probably be turning those down slightly. If you have a rig similar to mine I wouldn't be worried about performance, you should be able to run it at medium to high settings across the board. The only performance issue I had with DCS:BS on this computer was the Shkval reducing framerate by about 5-7FPS at 1024 res, which is understandable as it's almost like rendering the game world twice. I didn't have time to check out the targeting pod today so I don't know how much of an impact that has.

Also, keep in mind this is an early beta and, in the words of ED, unoptimized. There may be performance improvements in the retail version.

Anyone figure out the quick start key? And does it work on SIM mode?

Doesnt appear to be RSHIFT + HOME anymore :)

Too lazy to learn the full start sequence yet, just wanna mess with the targeting systems :)

Not sure if it's implemented yet as I don't see it under Commands>Cheat, which is where it is in BS. An easy way to get a takeoff-ready plane is to place an A-10C in the editor, set skill to "Player", and "takeoff from runway". Can't do this in existing missions without modifying them, though...

Also, a heads up: a beta version of the flight manual is in the Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C Beta\Doc folder. There's unfortunately no key list there yet but I think Wags said it will be added in the next beta update.

You might have noticed my question about videos of the beta in the beta forum. If anyone plans on publishing videos from this please try to make it obvious it's from a beta build, it would suck to accidentally give this a bad rap before it's done.

I'm going to see if I can get FreeTrack working, need to figure out if TrackIRFixer works on the DLL included with Warthog. Note that there's no TrackIR support in the 64 bit version yet since they've apparently been waiting on the 64 bit TIR version from NaturalPoint for weeks now.

edit: Nope, it uses a new version of NewInput.dll, TIRFixer can't patch it. It will probably be updated soon though.

Yeah i noticed that on instal its sexy 64bit now. I think this is the first game i own to be released in (in beta anyway) 64bit as well as 32bit.

So far it seems to run better for me than BS....not sure why. Ill try maxing out my graphics later to see what happens. Is the multiplayer stable yet? Would love to get some messing/missions going later.

This sim is incredible, absolutely amazing. Highly reccomend it to any sim fans.

[video=youtube]

Remember, this is still highly beta. Also, you can't see me pressing switches, buttons, etc. in the vid because it is a play-back. However, trust me, I was making heavy use of that yellow-outlined panel to the left cockpit side. It was the emergency trimmer, which let me trim my airplane to the right (notice how the right aileron was constantly up? I was trying to reverse the turn of the plane).

Game = fucking amazing

You did pretty well Cody (seeing that you survived and all), but if I were you I would have done an emergency weapons jettison. I learned the hard way that having an explosive still attached under a wing can be a bad thing in good ol' F22 TAW. :)

GETTING IT NOW BOYS> Definitely a UO Pilot material game :D

Add to TS and we'll do some badass formation flights, *** around. ;)

No demo?

Thanks, Eagle Dynamics, you stuck-up bunch of pole smokers.

I'd love to get a feel for the game and see if it's worth buying but I guess they don't understand how putting out demos gets them more money.

No demo?

Thanks' date=' Eagle Dynamics, you stuck-up bunch of pole smokers.

I'd love to get a feel for the game and see if it's worth buying but I guess they don't understand how putting out demos gets them more money.

[/quote']

Either that, or their profit-analysis shows that it'll cost more to make a demo than it'll earn them money, since it's such a niche market anyway and word gets around. :)

No demo?

Thanks' date=' Eagle Dynamics, you stuck-up bunch of pole smokers.

[/quote']

Lawl. You do realize this is an early beta, right? Why on earth would they release a demo of something that dosn't remotely represent the finished game?