silencer.helling3r

Proper ACRE setup question: keybinds / pushToTalk / radio

I hope it is okay to ask here because in TS no one responded in the help channel...

How can i distinguish my ACRE setup to be able to properly select "radio" or "direct speech only" mode?

Sorry for asking such a dumb question but i'm really unsure how to setup this in the correct way, or if this is already handled automatically in a way i don't know.

- Currently i have "CAPS LOCK" bound in TS to push-to-talk.

- ACRE binds this to Radio Transmission.

- Obviously i have no way to talk without the radio now.

Is the right solution thus to rebind my TS key to something different, and what do you advice the TS push-to-talk button should be with a default keybind?

Posted (edited)

Yes, you can just rebind the TS push-to-talk key. Mostly people use left Control key. To change ACRE keybindings, go Configure -> Controls -> Configure Addons (the button in the lower right of the dialog) -> ACRE2. You can also check them when you forget how to switch radio channels or open a radio menu.

Edited by redram

Posted (edited)

CAPS LOCK is not a good choice for TS PTT, because CAPS LOCK is also used by ACRE for radio use. The following are the default ACRE commands..

* Radio PTT:  		Capslock
* Alternate PTT 1:  	Shift-Capslock
* Alternate PTT 2:  	Ctrl-Capslock
* Alternate PTT 3:  	Alt-Capslock
* Open/Close Radio:  	Alt-Ctrl-Capslock
* Cycle Radio:  	Alt-Shift-Capslock
* Cycle Babel Language: Left Windows Key
* Set Radio Left Ear:  	Ctrl-Shift Left Arrow Key
* Set Radio Right Ear:  Ctrl-Shift Right Arrow Key
* Set Radio Both Ears:  Ctrl-Shift Up Arrow Key

People use all sorts of keys for PTT, but the best are probably those that cannot impact other ARMA commands, like Mouse Button 3 or 4.

Edited by kail
typo

I think i found a nice solution: i just unbind the "current radio" assignment (CAPS by default).

This way i can have caps for direct speech (which i use most commonly anyway and want it to be easily hittable).

For the radio i use the already assigned Shift-Caps binding - most of the time i only have one radio.

Shoud the issue arise that i have two or three radios (RTO?) then i can access them with the other combinations (alt+caps / ctrl+caps). Only with 4 or more radios i will get into problems, which will probably never happen anyway.

I will try this a while and see how this works.

Shift-Caps? I don't think that will work.. using Capslock as TS PTT will cause you to also talk in local when you attempt to use your radio. With Capslock as PTT, TS will not care that you also pushed Shift.

Why?

Shift-caps is already bound to radio #1 by acre default.

And when using radio, isnt it already also always together with radio? At least i always hear my sl talking direct when using radio.

Like I said, TS will not care that you pressed Shift+Capslock to use Radio 1 (or Alt+Shift+Caplocks to open the radio), TS will only see the Capslock. With Capslock defined as TS PTT, your mic will activate every time you press Capslock. So, you'll either speak locally & use the radio at the same time or you'll constantly hot mic every time you use a key combination that includes Capslock.