The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
Leonidas

Arma 3 Contact

Posted (edited)

I told you it was ancient aliens. Are we getting it?

Edited by Leonidas

Posted (edited)

Here's an image album with a bunch of the new stuff coming with the free engine update.

https://imgur.com/a/2xHU7xx

Pictures are all taken on the new terrain, which is not free.

Edited by TrainDoc

Here's the change-log for the dev-branch:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/140837-development-branch-changelog/?do=findComment&comment=3357788

Turns out almost everything in this update can be used with the exception of the terrain without having purchased the expansion itself.

The change-log does not mention anything related to the new factions right now as they are not on the dev branch, so nothing about the new warriors, wildcats or anything to do with the Aliens at the moment.

Feels like a DLC, the map is very nice.   I am unsure what to make of the rest of it.   If the map and assets come to the base game, I would look towards using those assets.   Putting a forced cost requirement on those resources towards the larger community may be unfeasible.   If Map content comes the base game by way of lite/base game update, expect many new updates for Rosche and other maps to use this new content.   Expecting people to pay for it to just continue to play here would be rough given the game's age and participation short of a community poll.

Historically we have only required Expansion 1 to participate within the community.  Secondary DLC has been largely optional. 

It will have the same rules as APEX with the only things locked behind the paywall are the use of the island and use of assets in a primary role (using dlc weapons, gear, etc)
The map objects are part of a free update available for everyone, so map makers can utilize them freely. I don't think the map is worth ~25 dollars at this point honestly, just like Tanoa is not worth ~15 dollars to play on.

I am excited with the ambition of Bohemia and the creativity of developers to push this kind of content our way and am sure that mission makers and script developers in our community will utilize the theme of this DLC, even if not the DLC itself, to create some unique missions with this alien theme. I am not hopeful that the tactics we use to play will change or that a new "feel" to the way the enemies will maneuver and behavior through both presentation (animation and art style) and mechanics (they'll still be "combat, aware, safe, careless, or stealth") will change whatsoever.

I will likely wait for this to go on sale to purchase.

The CBRN stuff and the map are great, I hope we add it to the server.