Sign in to follow this  
Boondocksaint

Kerbal Space Program

I have counted the votes, the kerbin space station has won!

As said before, I will send file tomorow. No modpack. You get 2 days from when I send the link to the file. Then give me the file, I send it to the next guy.

Feel free to record/take pictures of your process if you want, and post it here.

If you haven't applied yet, then don't worry. You don't get to vote but you can join the building part! :)

Sorry it hasn't started. My internet died for about 2 weeks and I just got it on. So I have not been able to pass the save around. :/

Here is a video I made illustrating how to land a rover onto Duna within a few kilometers of a given target. The landing sequence is very similar to the Curiosity landing in 2012 using a heat shield, drogue chute, and a "sky crane" to lower the probe onto the ground for a soft touchdown.

Force

KSP makes me kinda curious, seems very complicated but at the same time easy and simple to me...how was the learning curve for you?

When you finally work out orbital mechanics, man up and take your first trip to the Mun, you will be hooked forever.

An if you're not worried about your constructions constantly crashing for unknown reasons. More time you put into KSP, the crazier constructions you'll be able to sucessfully launch into space.

I got me the demo version and just finished my first ship, I think she's very big for a first ship...we will see if she can make it a few metres.

I called her Solaris I, since in the demo you don't have any other planets except for the mun to go to I decided I wanna send my first ship to the star. I'm just about to take off :biggrin:

Edit: The start went just fine, the whole thing shaked a bit much bit it didn't break apart. http://i.imgur.com/9u2sQJb.jpg

But I must've done something wrong with the stages, as soon as the first stage burned out and I hit space the entire thing fell apart...seems that it didn't do as I wanted it to. :(http://i.imgur.com/XEngGYc.jpg

I'll be back with Solaris II

Edited by TheKillinguy

I'd edit my post even further to avoid doubleposting but since it's only possible for a few minutes...

Solaris II was even bigger than Solaris I, but I improved its stability and the staging worked perfectly well. Unfortunately I ran out of fuel on the way and got stuck in the sun's orbit.

Screw it, I'm buying the thing!

The learning curve for me took about a year and a 1000 page textbook.

I hate when people play this...because I can do barely anything good in that game and I have had it since it was released to buy.

Seeing as mechjeb aint updated to the newest version I cannot play it.

I hate when people play this...because I can do barely anything good in that game and I have had it since it was released to buy.

Seeing as mechjeb aint updated to the newest version I cannot play it.

Mechjeb is working fine with the new patch. Check the forums :)

With regards to your attempts at close-orbiting the Sun: don't use a traditional engine once you're out of Kerbin orbit. Use either a nuclear engine (if you've got the fuel to spare) or, and this is probably the easier option, a massive ion engine array, which is basically a solar sail.

To build, your final stage should have a significant number of solar arrays and a huge backup battery supply. As soon as you leave Kerbin space, face retrograde, turn on your engines, and go make dinner.

If you go the nuclear option, warp between apo and periapsis and do controlled retrograde burns to shrink your orbit.

MechJeb 2 is functional, even if the interface changes are ridiculous. It takes a while to get used to but much of the same functionality is in place, as well as a bunch of other tools.

Just put up the latest space station - so far five sections in orbit, including: the power core; the fuel core; the station tug; the living core; and the maintenance core (for now just a quantum strut hub and docking ports). I'm proudest of my station tug, as I always have a tough time designing one that has the power, RCS fuel, and the balance to haul loads from 1-20 tons. I solved it this time by adding modular sections that I can pull on and off depending on the job at hand, including docking port converters and RCS power blocks.

And I know I'll just destroy it and start over come the next patch. Again.

So I recently got Kerbal Space Program... and well I have a bad time getting my Kerbals into space and well staying alive :)  So... I was wondering... what are some mods or plugins you all run?  Also got any good tips for a shuttle or anything?

Although I don't use it I've heard alot of good things about Mechjeb. I've also heard of one (Can't remember its name) that allows you to create something in the spaceplane hanger and use the symmetry correctly, then move it into the VAB. Useful for rocket launched shuttle craft I guess.

The fun of KSP is messing about and trying to find whatever works, or in my case what doesn't.

Look up some tutorials by scott manly and some other folks. You definitely do not need mods to get into space.