The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
James

[A3][Discussion] Addition of Redd'n'Tank vehicles to UO-Mods

Hi all,

I'd like to get opinions for adding Redd'n'Tank vehicles, a German Army vehicle mod, to UO mods for the A3 server.

It adds 5 new vehicles currently, with a 6th in the works.

They are:

Marder 1A5

TPz Fuchs 1A4

Mercedes G-Class "Wolf"/"G-Wagen"

Flakpanzer Gepard

Wiesel 1A2 TOW & Wiesel 1A4 Mk20

The 6th WIP vehicle is a Luchs, a German armoured wheeled recon vehicle.

The vehicles included have been used by the Bundeswehr from the 1970s/80s through to the present day, providing content which could be used for a variety of mission settings.

We already have basic infantry equipment for the Bundeswehr from the Cold War to the present day, from RHS, Corax and Toadie/NIArms. This is proposing to add vehicles to supplement this gear which were used by standard line and mechanised infantry units in the German Army.

Edit: Forgot to also add, everything is ACE/ACRE compatible. Proper German rack radios are configured for the vehicles. The Tampella also uses the ACE mortar system.

Edit: Yet another detail I forgot to mention, mod adds a static MILAN ATGM, useful for a variety of settings, not just pertaining to the Bundeswehr, but also the British Armed Forces until the mid 2000s, the French Army until very recently, Peshmerga forces in Iraqi Kudistan, and many others.

The following album shows various screenshots of the content I am proposing we add.

https://imgur.com/a/ph6CZyd

It is licensed under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs CC BY-NC-ND, which allows us to include it in the UO mods folder, so we can have control over updates.

Here is a link to the BI forum thread:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/210296-reddntank-vehicles/

Link to steam workshop page:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128145626

Edit:

To note further, if there is wide enough support for this mod expressed here after about a week, I will bring this thread to the GSOs and ask for its addition, failing that I will poll it for addition.

Edited by James27

SF2 has given me some ideas that I could use this vehicles for... yes from me.

Although, are they compatible damage model wise with RHS and 3CB vehicles?

Edited by Gkenny

Hard yes, and I encourage everyone else to say the same. Great quality vehicles with lots of features that would be a fine addition to the modpack.

Although, are they compatible damage model wise with RHS and 3CB vehicles?

Yes, armour values are correct to real life and do not pose an issue. There was a discrepancy with the Marder's 20mm being a bit strong, but I wrote a separate config patch to make it play nice, as well as to make the MG3 use the same sounds as the one we already have.

To note further, if there is wide enough support for this mod expressed here after about a week, I will bring this thread to the GSOs and ask for its addition, failing that I will poll it for addition.

Edit: Forgot to also add, everything is ACE/ACRE compatible. Proper German rack radios are configured for the vehicles. The Tampella also uses the ACE mortar system.

Edited by James27

E-z yes from me. Expanding the German assets to use on our nice German terrain will be a welcoming change from the current asset roster we end up using.

Given the interest in Global Mobilisation and the overlap of units i cant help but feel that adding this now only to rip it out again later would be rather short sighted. If we do peruse GM then this would have to be removed and as we know from experience removing anything leads to lots of broken missions which inevitably don't get fixed. 

That on top of all my usual concerns about more content increasing surface area for instability ect.

@vpope we removed mods before and ignored the broken missions why can’t we do this again if gm gets released.

Given the interest in Global Mobilisation and the overlap of units i cant help but feel that adding this now only to rip it out again later would be rather short sighted. If we do peruse GM then this would have to be removed and as we know from experience removing anything leads to lots of broken missions which inevitably don't get fixed. 

I totally understand this point of view, especially after talking with you yesterday. However, it is uncertain as to when Mondalkb and GalComT will release GM. We could potentially be waiting many, many months before we see any of this.

I am willing to commit myself to writing any necessary compatibility configs for said mods should it be required, or even a mothball if we feel that is best if/when it comes to it. 

If we really wanted to be nitpicky, I could argue that technically the mods released by GM won't be the same anyway, as they are focusing on an earlier period than Redd'n'Tank who are focusing on more contemporary vehicles, for example the Fuchs versions in the two mods are different, GM won't have an infantry transport version, see: https://i.imgur.com/IptN5D8.png. However, this can be considered pretty minor though and I won't shed any tears about picking one over the other if/when it comes to it.

That on top of all my usual concerns about more content increasing surface area for instability ect.

With regards to this, as the proposer of the mod, I am willing to maintain the the compatibility config I mentioned to maintain stability in the mod pack with this mod and compatibility with other mods in the pack as I have stated.

I do agree we need to be careful about what we add in order to maintain stability, but as discussed last night some of us believe there is a balance to be struck between this and making sure the game doesn't get stale through replaying the same content, especially as ArmA 3 has already outlasted the time spent playing ArmA 2 at UO, and a successor isn't looking likely to be announced soon. 

@vpope we removed mods before and ignored the broken missions why can’t we do this again if gm gets released.

If at all possible, this should be avoided. Mods in the past have typically been removed for solid reasons pertaining to issues like no longer functioning as intended or outright breaking. I am not in favour of outright removing and breaking missions when it can be avoided, like stated above, if it came to a situation where we include GM I will make sure they are compatible, or if we feel we can only have one or the other, I will write a mothball patch to allow time for a switch over to happen, as has been done in the past with major mod replacements.

Edited by James27

We absolutely could and this is more of an MMO point so i would defer to blackhawk on it but surly its in our interest to maintain the largest possible library of playable missions. Typically we see missions break from mod changes/updates/removals which keeps the numbers down.

I would like to see this mod added, GM may not be released in my lifetime.

I support adding this pack.

There were some concerns re duplication with Global Mobilisation, a Cold War German mod in development, which a lot of us are very interested in. On looking into the matter further, it appears that the reddntank vehicles is for the most part different to the list of vehicles that GM is developing, or at least later variants. Also GM is not released, and the developers for that mod will not give any kind of release date or time frame. James has stated that he is willing to do a mothball/compatibility patch, if and when the GM mod was added, depending on what overlap there would be.

Considering then this would have a level of internal maintenance, add much needed variety of high quality content, and allow broad expansion of a “faction” in our mod pack, I am in full support.

Edited by Kingslayer

AS someone brand new to this community, I still see the potential for this mod to improve a ton of our gameplay. Yes from me, if it matters at all.