Gusy

UOAF Reading List

Post books you feel are required reading for UOAF.

Eye of the Viper: The Making of an F-16 Pilot

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Viper-Making-F-16-Pilot-ebook/dp/B001NCDC2M

This book covers the brutal training a group of student pilots at Luke AFB must go through to become F-16 Viper pilots. It also covers stories from the Instructor Pilots in Vietnam and the Gulf War, and from the experiences each student has gone through. Highly Recommended.

wow dude I have a huge library so ...

I will start mostly with biography

FALKLANDS

• Sea Harrier over the Falklands by commander "Sharkey" Ward
  • RAFHarrier ground attack Falklands by SL Jerry Pook

IRAK

• Iraqi Mirages in combat - The story of the F.1 EQ in Iraq by Miguel Garcia

AFGHANISTAN

• Apache by Ed Macy
  • Hellfire by Ed Macy
  • Red platoon by Clinton Romesha (CMH)

WWII (ETO)

• The Big Show: The Greatest Pilot's Story of World War II by Pierre Clostermann (Top scoring WWII Free French ace)
  • Spitfire Ace: My Life As a Battle of Britain Fighter Pilot by Gordon Olive
  • To fly and to fight by Col. Clarence E. "Bud" Anderson
  • Zemke's Wolf pack as told to Roger A. Freeman
  • GABBY a fighter pilot's life by Francis Gabreski
  • An ace of the eighth: An American Fighter Pilot's Air War in Europe by Norman "Bud" Fortier
  • Thunderbolt!: An Extraordinary Story of a World War II Ace by Robert S. Johnson
  • The Lost Squadron: A Fleet of Warplanes Locked in Ice for Fifty Years by David Hayes (crazy and really interesting story)
  • God is my co-pilot by Robert L. Scott
  • Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel
  • The first and the last by Adolph Galland
  • Messerschmitts Over Sicily: A Luftwaffe Ace Fighting the Allies and Goering by Johannes Steinhoff
  • I Flew For The Fuhrer: The Memoirs of a Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot by Heinz Knocke
  • Luftwaffe Eagle: From the Me 109 to the Me 262 by Walter Schuck
  • The War Diary of Hauptmann Helmut Lipfert: Jg 52 on the Russian Front 1943-1945 by Helmut Lipfert

WWII (PTO)

• Samurai!: The Autobiography of Japan’s World War Two Flying Ace by Saburo Sakai
  • Baa, Baa, Black Sheep by Gregory Boyington

And many more ....

Will probably update this when I'll have some time

Edited by Foxy

Vietnam

Robert Mason, Chickenhawk: an amazing book from the perspective of a pilot's career in the Huey through Vietnam.

Marshall Mitchell, Clashes: Air Combat over North Vietnam, 1965-1972: the strategy and tactics of the air war in Vietnam from both sides.

Cold War

David Isby, Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army: a must read for any Cold War buff. Disects every part of the Soviet army and has lots of pictures.

Fighter Pilot: Robin Olds’ Biography. Co-Written by both his daughter and Ed Rasimus. Covers his early years a little, his time in WW2 flying lightenings and Mustangs. Then into the ealrynjet age with shooting stars and sabres followed by his time in Phantoms. Some time in the Pentagon. Very nice book that provides some unique insight into these eras of flying.