Sign in to follow this  
Max (Hammer 5)

Operation First Strike - AAR & Media Request

Hey UO,

Mission Feedback.

Sustains.

[Platoon] BMD & Troop integration. Mission 1 was some of the best mechanized infantry coordination I’ve seen in a while. Blue (114), Darkside/Cephei (115) & AFI Squad (116) coordinated with each other to establish effective SBF & security postures over and over. Every 2nd platoon BMD I saw was firing from a position that never risked harm to infantry. I especially liked the react to contact drill that the Platoon conducted as we approached the second ORP.

[Platoon] Platoon briefings. I was very impressed by the work done by members of second platoon. We repeatedly reviewed and rehearsed the platoon plan for mission 1. I think everyone in the platoon knew what was going on and it made us much more effective as a result.

[Company] Leadership Communication. Lateral communication between the squad leaders enabled the platoon to be more effective. Several times I gave squad leaders a specific task & purpose and orders to execute and they did this without problem. Coordination between platoons was decent during mission 1 as well, especially as we pushed our way up to ADA site 1.

Improves.

[Company] Battle damage reporting. It was difficult to build an accurate picture of how many enemy forces were destroyed. Squad leaders need to gather this information from their squad members and feed this up. If I had this problem, I assume that Company command had this problem as well.

[Company] Blue-on-Blue. We were on the firing side of one blue-on-blue engagement. This is unacceptable and I take responsibility for it. The breakdown in situational awareness and hasty react to fires caused improper PID and resulted in a friendly squad destroyed. I believe there was another blue-on-blue incident in mission 1 between 1 & 3 platoon. Every leader (TL+) is responsible for minimizing this occurrence.

[Company] Rehearsals & Back briefs. Mission leadership (Squad Leader+) needs to do a better job of meeting ahead of time. It is unrealistic to assume that we as a community can perform company level missions without greater preparation. We aren’t as rehearsed and it shows. Spending more time rehearsing would result in us being more effective.

Event Feedback.

Sustains.

Coordination with outside groups. It was a pleasure working with Blahh and the leaders of AFI before, during, and after the mission. I hope we can run more events together in the future.

Respawn system. I enjoyed the respawn system. This was the first time I included this in an event. I’ll be working on improving this and trying to make it more useful.

Mission performance. Thank you to the mission makers and those who came out to test the missions.

Improves.

Gear loadouts. I’ll take a look at the gear loadouts and try to optimize them for Part 2.

Mission Testing. I announced and ran 2 test sessions (09 JUN, 02 SEP) in support of this event. We had 2 to 3 people show-up. Thank you to those that did – you helped us find errors and correct them. In the future, if we have 10-20 people show up, we could find even more errors and get those corrected. I’ll continue to run test sessions, log the errors, and fix them to the best of my ability.

Briefing Material dissemination. I’ll work on coming up with some new ways to get briefing material disseminated ahead of events. And I apologize for not putting the pilots in the PM thread for mission leadership.

Next steps

1. I plan on working on the next UO Invitational Event. Not sure when this will occur – I have other tasks I need to complete before I devote any energy towards this endeavor.
  2. Operation First Strike Part 2 development will continue. Really excited about this and we’ll be looking to improve on all the lessons learned from PT 1.

Finally, please post any media content to the event here. We’ll consolidate it and use it as content for our future Reddit posts.

Evening lads

I'll be writing my AAR to shed light on what the operation was like from COY HQ.

I'll be going over the 2nd mission almost entirely due to the first mission I was afk for the most part thanks to a rather important and also rsther sad phone call.

Disclaimer: I'm writing this on a phone with little sleep so excuse me if spelling and punctuation is iffy.

Role: Company 2ic (1st & 2nd mission)

First and foremost I'd like to once again thank the UO community and external community's for playing this weekend; I took a screenshot of 108 player count which beats the highest recorded player count according to the wiki which we updated about a month ago.

Also a special thanks to the missions devs and gm, I look forward to part 2.

Anyways let's kick it off...

2nd mission:

It was a mess.... quite simply put. From COY HQ down to even the most basic rifleman in the COY.

Company's radio net was in shambles and it just seemed like almost nobody had any idea how to use a radio, so god knows what it was like on platoons net when they had contact.

The sheer lack of knowledge when it came to comms, trying to even get a simple "yes we are ready to move" from each platoon leader at the start of the mission took almost 20mins and even still I never recieved it from all callsigns hence why the order of March got changed due to the prolonged waiting we had, contact, sitreps, and almost any question I asked was received with silence apart from a few times but even still I was told everything apart from what I asked, having people just popping up on company net and randomly shouting down it while another callsigns was talking without proper hailing, and even at one point I'm sure a random dude from a section was just on COY net chatting away like it was a 343.

All in all you get the point in terms of radios and comms, it was awful sadly and I'm willing to put alot of the downfalls of the 2nd mission down to poor comms.

Apparently there was friendly fire, none of which COY can confirm.

At a section level there needs to be more organisation. Section 2ics/team leaders need to help manage their section better for the sl.

You as a 2ic has full control over that section just like the sl does, help him with arranging the lads into security, checking ammo states, fire rates, and just general section level stuff, don't sit there idle like you are just another rifleman, while section leaders need to be on top of sending up reports to their superiors (something thst is easier to manage when your 2ic is managing the section while you handle traffic)

In terms of bugs and testing.

There's needs to be more of it, there was simply alot of problems that slowed everything down.

Will maybe post more once I get to a computer.

Just a quick note to mission makers: Please, please, please, do not have cleanup scripts running. It makes determining exactly what you killed nearly impossible.

Local Pub I think to be fair in regards to radios you were experiencing or Lancer was experiencing a bug as you didn't seem to be able to hear people on the radio. For example did you ever hear Lancer he was on your net but you sounded like you couldn't hear him.

Edited by Cunnah

There were times I could hear him but all those times it was just him shouting over the radio incomprehensible stuff.

Terrain was very poor and I'm willing to bet it played a big part in poor comms.

Just a quick note to mission makers: Please, please, please, do not have cleanup scripts running. It makes determining exactly what you killed nearly impossible.

Although I completely agree with you, but at a 100+ player event all server performance we can salvage will be important

Although I completely agree with you, but at a 100+ player event all server performance we can salvage will be important

In this event I'm pretty sure we'd be OK.

You generally use clean up scripts when you are spawning in new waves of AI. the server is already tracking the bodies of everyone thats already spawned in, no need to delete them and their equipment.

Hey Fellas! I was going to post somekind of AAR earlier, but other work got in the way. But I was inspired by WALancers excellent conversation starter video about mechanized movements so I posted a bit of a response to it in reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/9t4cns/how_to_conduct_a_shit_simple_soviet_style_attack/e8udnpy/

The response is very much focused on the FIRST STRIKE PART1 event. Hence the post here.

I really liked the video and want to see many more of them!
I am also anxiously waiting for part two of this event!