Sign in to follow this  
Syntax Error

Adjusting the night vision in the Primary more useful and less grainy while maintaining realism

I'd like to make a suggestion about the current state of night vision optics on the server.

An ACE update added a signal/noise filter, fog, and "Night Vision Effects" in other tweakable slider settings (Found in ACE Settings -> ACE Nightvision options) to add an element of additional realism to Night Vision devices in order to make them not like the god-like BIS vanilla night vision that existed previously, which was too detailed and overpowered. It should be noted I am not advocating a return to the Arma 3 vanilla night vision or spectator night vision settings - those are waaay overpowered and totally unrealistic with current technology.

However with the current settings of signal/noise, fog, and the effects scale make many night vision devices, especially generation III devices such as the PVS-14, PVS-15 (aviation), and any of the subsequent Arma 3 "future" NVDs, in my opinion, significantly worse-performing than what they are like in reality. The static effect that ACE has is a tweakable setting which IMO for Gen III devices is set way too high which makes the static obscuring and distracting to the function of the device and obscures shapes/terrain features at even close distances:

PLEASE NOTE THAT IMAGE COMPRESSION IN IMGUR MAKE THE GRAINS LOOK BLURRIER THAN THEY REALLY ARE IN-GAME IN ALL OF MY SCREENSHOTS. I was not able to remove compression of these photos that Imgur does automatically.

EuUOv0bh.png
(I can tell there's some kind of structure in front of me, but is there anything between me and that thing?)

A good example of a Generation III PVS-14 performing in low-light conditions with visible signal/noise "static" is seen in these videos:

---

Take for example a PVS-14, with the default ACE settings of 1/1/1 for effects/fog/noise (hereafter "EFN") looks like this (tested in Virtual Editor on Tanoa standing on top of a radome):

kaGs9xfh.png
S0xujgFh.png
Pea soup

h4sBwyQh.png
Night vision off

fZaMhN9h.png
You can tell there's some kind of hill there but that's about it. Note the size of the static grains which ADDS black spots, obscuring detail. Are there enemies in the static?

sL5qC3Jh.png
​Night vision off. Note partial moon giving some illumination in an otherwise very dark night.

With a bit of tweaking of the EFN setting to, say, 0.4/0.0/0.3, makes the night vision significantly better-performing while not making them overpowered, and more realistic to a Generation III device:
xbfQjhFh.png
7MQPSFfh.png
You can see to some distance and tell that there's an airfield a few klicks away.

qILLwleh.png
​Night vision off

dS8GhQih.png
I can now tell that there's bushes and terrain detail in front of me. You can kinda tell there are actually men on the lower left quadrant of the scope.

bpKVPRgh.png

---

IMO the "Fog" setting is the most unrealistic given that it adds an arbitrary limiting factor for the usefulness of an NVD at distance, especially for aviation purposes. You can see this problem most acutely in this video, where the night vision makes looking out of the canopy window look like a pea soup, and once the goggles are taken off, suddenly you can see at very long distances:

Aviation goggles in specific such as the PVS-15 should have very high signal/noise ratio (very low "effects" ACE setting) while maintaining a very low "fog" setting for distance.

---

Tweaking settings

Doing some tweaking with the EFN (Effect/Fog/Noise) seems to me that the following sliders ma
Night Vision Effects - Lower the setting, the better-performing the brightness and gain of the tube is. 
Fog - Self-explanatory, adds an arbiitrary view distance for rendering the terrain when the night vision is turned on. Should be set very low if not off for Gen II tubes.
Noise - The lower the value, the "smaller" the grains in the noise are, and thus you get better detail and image fidelity the lower the setting is.

"Effect" comparison photos:
P2vlC6Ch.png
Effect 0.1, Noise 0.3 - I think a good analogue for high-performance Generation III tubes.

Njc2nBCh.png
Effect 0.8, Noise 0.3 - Gain and image intensification is lower (dimmer tube), maybe a good analogue for Gen II tubes, though noise may need to be turned up to reflect lower performance of Gen II tubes.

QTnOrY1h.png
Effect 1.5, Noise 0.3 - Gain is a lot lower, might analogue Gen I tubes. Gen I tubes are pretty much useless outside of lots of ambient light or lots of infrared light flooding.

"Noise" comparison photos:

P2vlC6Ch.png
Effect 0.1, Noise 0.3 - I think a good analogue for high-performance Generation III tubes.

jqr3AeFh.png
Effect 0.1, Noise 0.8 - Significantly larger static grains obscure lots of detail. I believe this to be way too high of a setting for any Generation III tube. Note ACE default is 1.0!

T3aSCuLh.png
Effect 0.1, Noise 1.5 - Pretty much a static television at this point. Utterly unusable.

BeTh6XTh.png
Just for kicks, set noise to 2.0. It's useless.

Obviously, the settings I tweaked with were just what I was messing with. If we want to make unique and distinct types of night vision settings, further testing should be done to find the best fit between realism, balance, and technological limitations of Gen III vs Gen II or Gen I NVDs.

---

So, in conclusion, I think PVS-14s and other Generation III/III+ night vision devices we use in the modpack are underperforming to what they are really capable of. I posted this thread just a discussion thread to see if we can better improve the performance of night vision devices on the primary while maintaining realism and an acceptable level of performance and balance for use in night fighting conditions.

This thread is also primarily concerned with the performance of Gen III device that we use mostly in the server, such as the PVS-14, PVS-15, Vanilla Arma 3 NVDs, Russian 1PN138s, BAF NVs; for Gen 2 or Gen 1 NVDs, performance should be degraded to reflect the lesser performance of these two devices, as demonstrated in this video here (Gen 1 night vision really sucks):

Edited by Syntax Error

The few times I've changed it, I generally roll with:

ace_nightvision_noisescaling = 0.7;

ace_nightvision_fogscaling = 0.0;

ace_nightvision_aimdownsightsblur = 1.5;

ace_nightvision_effectscaling = 1;

I think I ended up on something similar as a relative hit for older kit.

Edited by TinfoilHate

Yeah so the issue with the noise that I've finally noticed is that it adds a white and black static filter over and already dark image, so instead of enhancing the light given off by come areas in shadow it instead darkens them leading to being able to see better in darker areas without night vision.

The few times I've changed it, I generally roll with:

ace_nightvision_noisescaling = 0.7;

ace_nightvision_fogscaling = 0.0;

ace_nightvision_aimdownsightsblur = 1.5;

ace_nightvision_effectscaling = 1;

I think I ended up on something similar as a relative hit for older kit.

Is that the settings currently used in the server? The fog scaling I can say is definitely not set to 0.0.

No, otherwise I wouldn't have to change it. We use ace default, so 1 across the board.

OK, that is going back to the original post, if the default values on the server are ACE default, then we should think about adjusting the ACE Nightvision settings server-side, since I am assuming the ACE Nightvision settings are not adjustable client-side on the Primary for balance reasons.

Yeah, agreed, though honestly just make an Olsen's module for it. 99% of us use it anyhow and it can just get tossed into the framework version.

Yeah so the issue with the noise that I've finally noticed is that it adds a white and black static filter over and already dark image, so instead of enhancing the light given off by come areas in shadow it instead darkens them leading to being able to see better in darker areas without night vision.

I've been telling you lad. Something was off.

Now how do I upvote this thread?  :laugh: