Sign in to follow this  
Herbiie

Plagarism

Hi all,

Are there any rules concering plagarism for missions submitted for UO?

I don't mind old missions of mine being revamped however I'd like people to ask permission first, however this mission:

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/page/ArmA3/missionlist/_/livemissions/co25-pb-hill-v10-r1360

Is just an updated version of this one:
http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/page/ArmA2/missionlist/_/livemissions/co30-pb-hill-1-operation-buckland-v5-r565

To the extent where certain elements are literally copy & pasted, in particular the briefing.

I don't like to be 'that guy' but without my permission or even me being credited for the mission concept, I don't think it's appropriate for this level of plagarism to be allowed, and was wondering what the rules were regarding this.

Thanks,

Herbiie

7.1 - Works and content submitted by way of posting, submission, uploads, missions, and custom addons, become the works and property of UnitedOperations.net.

The mission has been obsolete for almost 4 years and in that time there has been no attempt from you to port it over for this game. 

While it is frowned upon for users to copy other's works without asking, there are no rules against it and missions are considered works and property of UO. In this case I don't see much of an issue.

The user could have done you the courtesy of sending a PM, but I doubt he was expecting a response from a user who hasn't played in a long while.

However, he should have absolutely given you credit in the brief and the description on the forums, I imagine the user forgot, just as he forgot to credit himself as well in the brief. Again though, there are no rules pertaining to giving credit to users whose ideas may be the basis of a mission. I know that the MMO-in-waiting takes issue with the lack of credit given.

Regardless, blackskimask has been messaged to be made of aware of the issue, so you'll have to wait for him to get online and he'll respond.

I would also like to ask though, did you attempt to take this to a PM to be resolved? blackskimask is reasonable and this issue likely could have been solved without this thread.

I think user had no ill will, otherwise he'd at least change the name to make the original harder to find.

First of, issues like this should be tried to be resolved between missionmakers first, I'm pretty sure most people here are reasonable. If there are still problems, then contact a MMO.

Arma 2 missions -> message the original creator that you are porting their mission (no need to wait for permission from inactive user). If original creator for some reason contests, contact a MMO.

Arma 3 missions -> if one mission is clearly imitating another try to resolve it between each other (make sure it's not just a coincidence). If unable contact a MMO.

As per Forum SOP's:

7.1 - Works and content submitted by way of posting, submission, uploads, missions, and custom addons, become the works and property of UnitedOperations.net.

its UO's now.
Edited by Corax

The mission has been obsolete for almost 4 years and in that time there has been no attempt from you to port it over for this game.

Hence why I didn't complain about it being ported, James.

Just seems odd that under that rule anyone could literally copy & paste a mission and pass it off as their own.

Thank you for your swift replies.

Blackskimask has stated numerous times verbally that it is virtually a copy/paste of your mission and at no point has tried to pass it off as an original idea; He has been regularly trying to revitalize older A2 missions, by making similar ports to A3. Yes, He should have most certainly given you the credit you deserve for the original content, but at no point did he try and cover up the fact that you made this mission, nor is this malicious in any form. I think this was a bit of a dramatic approach and  I believe an attempt at direct interaction, before making a thread was most certainly the better choice.

Edited by Darkside

UnitedOperations in many ways is a teaching community.

We have in the past and to present encouraged people to learn from examples, and in part it is why we have made our mission directory, as well as listings public.   Our mission library is an asset for the community and others to learn by example, even if that example is building upon known and or well developed missions.   Some people are just simply bad at being creating with briefings, others are not well versed on unit composition nor gear scripts.  Many users who stared with mission making in this community continue to use the base templates on which they learned to create content as the basis for all missions they have used up to date.  In general the GSO and MMO office has encouraged the userbase historically to use reference materials and or port and adapt older missions from the A2 assets, into the new engine.   To simply lose over 500-700 missions when the same skills and assets are generally used was seen as unacceptable.   

As for the SOP listed above, in general it is a protection against users taking things from the community to be disruptive, but also allows us to edit/hide/modify works submitted for use by the community for any number of reasons, be it promotion, administration, content creation or so forth.  This was a mission you had submitted to the community almost 6 years ago.  It was not maintained, and we had made numerous requests for mission makers, new and old to scavenge though the old missions from ArmA 2 to port or bring forward and or adapt missions to create more ArmA 3 content.  I am more than confident to say if you were to go though a random selection of any missions on the server, there is exact code, and or dialog from missions in excess of 15 years old even from as far back as OFP.  Credit is always desired to be included in missions when they are used as a base or template, but not enforced nor required.  Simply put, some of the scripts and layouts are older than a number of our players. I personally do not see this as malicious.  If you do and wish to discuss this further with me, I am free on teamspeak or discord.

hello herbiie, I have already replied to you in PM form but I'll leave my statement here too

i forgot to credit you (i even forgot to credit myself in the mission) i will fix this when i get around to updating the mission, did not intend to pass this mission off as my own. 

thanks

Edited by blackskimask

Impulse there is a big difference between opening a mission to see how it works & using similar scripts or using the same modules & copy and pasting a mission without asking permission, deliberately.

However, thank you for clarifying the standpoint of this community on plagarism.

@Darkside - not every forum thread at UO is dramatic.

You're getting far too worked up over someone copypasting your mission concept from 6 years ago, dude.

Per our discussion, and per prior requests in the community, this is the distinction.

You submitted works for the communities' use 6 years ago.

These works were not maintained in over 5 years.

We switched content from ArmA 2 to ArmA 3 (4 years ago).

The community put forward a request for existing mission authors to update their missions they were interested in continuing from A2 to A3.

Missions that were submitted to the community and abandoned were considered community assets for new mission makers to learn from, adapt or port from A2 to A3.

Many of these missions that were abandoned were ported, some were not.  These are still community assets for use in the community.

Impulse there is a big difference between opening a mission to see how it works & using similar scripts or using the same modules & copy and pasting a mission without asking permission, deliberately.

However, thank you for clarifying the standpoint of this community on plagarism.

@Darkside - not every forum thread at UO is dramatic.

I mention your approach being dramatic, in which I stand by. All of this secondary discussion is borderline wasteful when you could have simply DM'd BSM and had this situation rectified in the same day, his reply is indicative of that.