Sign in to follow this  
ApeX89

Advice on new PC needed!

Hi there folks!

So finally the time has come that little ApeX can afford a decent new computer.

So far, I will be going for a pre-manufactured model as I am not into assembling the PC myself.

First of all, it does not give me any additional benefit of "big mans lego".

Second, I don't want to take the risk in damaging any parts while assembling.

So, here are the 2 configs that I looked up so far: (ALTERNATE is the name of the vendor)

ALTERNATE Gaming Series VIII

• Windows 10 Home
  • Western Digital WD30EFRX 3 TB HDD
  • be quiet! POWER ZONE 750W, PSU
  • be quiet! Dark Rock 3, CPU-Cooler
  • Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-2400 Kit, RAM
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX Advanced
  • Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB, Solid State Drive
  • Intel Core™ i7-7700K, CPU
  • ASrock Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON, Mainboard
  • be quiet! PURE BASE 600, Case

ALTERNATE Staiy Gaming PC

• Windows 10 Home
  • Seagate Barracuda 4 TB, HDD,
  • Cooler Master MasterWatt 650, PSU
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, CPU-Cooler
  • Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-2666 Kit, RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
  • Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, Solid State Drive
  • Intel Core™ i7-8700K, CPU
  • MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON, Mainboard
  • Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Case

I highly appreciate all your advice!

See you in the skies!

ApeX 

Edited by ApeX89

I'd personally go for the 2nd.

Whats the price of each and whats your budget, maybe people can make a pc build for you and then you can find a company that will make it to how you want but you will then know what parts to choose.

I don't like the 650W on the 2nd tho... 750W to me in the standard you should be going for these days, I personally have 1100W because I went overkill and wanted to give my rig "Alot of overhead"

Don't be like a typical person and simply look at the graphics card and base your whole rig around that. You got a choice of a 1070ti or a 1080, I haven't compared these companies GPU against each other

But regardless the 1070ti is a fucking powerhouse of a card that I'd happily take that over a 1080 if it mean't getting 2666mhz RAM over 2000mhz, a i7-8700k over a i7-7700k, MSI Z370 over ASrock Z270, and well.... everything on the second case over the first.

If it makes it easier make a layout like this and right each Pro and Con of each case, means comparing each part of each rig against each other first, but then at least you can accurately at the end of it

look at a piece of paper in front of you and see straight away at a glance all the pro's and con's of each rig.

pros-and-cons-worksheet-template-pro-con

Edited by TheLocalPub

Price is around 2100 € for both setups and this is also my budget.

If you need help get t a nerd buddy to help you build it, a case of beer is cheaper than a retailer build fee. If you feel like saving a few hundred bucks it's really quite easy, designed for the lowest common denominator and with plenty of youtube and help website guides.

If you are picking between the two go for the second but upgrade the power supply. Good choice with the Hyper 212. A quarter of the price and 80% the performance of a top of the line water cooler. If you are going to be gaming at 1080p the 1070 is more than enough. Even a 1060 is enough for 1080p. The processor will be the big difference, and the 8700k is worth the extra shekels. It's faster, has more overhead for OC'ing if you ever get into that, and it has a couple extra real cores.

You do not need 32GB of ram. That is wasted money unless you do 3d rendering in a modelling program or edit videos and can't stand waiting an extra 10 minutes or something. That is money down the tubes for no added benefit in gaming whatsoever. Get 16GB of the fastest RAM available (make sure your motherboard can handle the rated speed)

You can build a PC on this site: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/
It has a compatibility filter so you can choose the proper parts for the build.

Something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cz2rD2

Personally I would go for a full ATX tower case, the more space the better.

Edited by PiZZADOX

So, based on your tipps I just made another config:

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8700K

1 x MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON

1 x be quiet! Dark Rock 4

1 x Corsair DIMM 32 GB DDR4-4000 Kit

1 x MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G

1 x be quiet! DARK BASE 700

1 x be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM

1 x Seagate Barracuda 4 TB

1 x Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB
Edited by ApeX89

My only input is if it's an option go for a Zotac GTX 1070ti AMP extreme... its a big BIG card (12" long) and fugly unless industrial bee monster is a theme. Having said that they have possibly the best air cooling systems I have seen (short of some expensive after market stuff). Currently running a 1080 version and it will passively cool on some games.

Personally id suggest lowering the ammount of ram your buying aswell as the size of your harddrive, to see if you can squeeze a better graphics card into your budget. ram and harddrives can allways be added later on.

Personally id suggest lowering the ammount of ram your buying aswell as the size of your harddrive, to see if you can squeeze a better graphics card into your budget. ram and harddrives can allways be added later on.

From above : "DCS recommendation is for 32gb ram, with 16 being minimum 32gb is a sound investment. "

I do however think you could save money by going for 2 x 16 sticks.

Apex,

some time ago I built my own system and it worked out okay.  I got some smoking deals that were unavailable online.   I had the same concerns you had about damaging parts.

Just after I completed the build my son-in-law got the urge to upgrade and found a great offer.  The merchant he used offered a price match guarantee for all of the parts he selected.  So just sourced the cheapest parts he could find online and was able to buy them all in one place.  The merchant also assembled the system for $50 and offered a 1 yr warranty.  Good deal for his peace of mind.

Price out the parts and compare. If the prebuilts are better than building, then go with the second one because it's better in every way except GPU which is only about 10% worse, but a 1070Ti will run excellently for at a year before you have to lower settings from ultra, and will probably last you 3 or 4 more on medium.

Building is not that hard and is a good learning experience, and is probably going to save you some money. Normally a big concern with prebuilts is that they're going to cut corners, but these both look pretty good.

Well, I just decided to go with a 1080 instead.

Everything else will be pretty much the same.

This is my config so far now:

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8700K, Prozessor

1 x be quiet! Dark Rock 4, CPU-Kühler

1 x be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W, PC-Netzteil

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM Alternate, Betriebssystem-Software

1 x Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB, Solid State Drive

1 x MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK, Mainboard

1 x Seagate Barracuda 4 TB, Festplatte

1 x Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Super Jetstream, Grafikkarte
1 x G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3000 Quad-Kit, Arbeitsspeicher
1 x Creative Sound Blaster Z, Soundkarte

1 x Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium, Tower-Gehäuse

You're spending a lot of extra money on RAM and that soundcard. Depending on the games you play (DCS being really the only exception), 16GB DDR4 at 3000Mhz will be more than you need, and RAM is really expensive right now. As for the soundcard, unless you have specific needs it's going to go largely unused.

Unless you're planning on some heavy duty stuff or DCS or just have money, 16Gb will suffice. I'm running 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 sticks and am very happy. 

I agree with Scope about the sound card. You're down right wasting money unless you're doing professional work with it.

No professional or even good amateur audiophile would buy an internal sound card anymore. You only buy one if your PC doesn't come with a D/O output already. If you want to waste your money on an expensive sound setup at least get an external DAC/AMP setup since your motherboard has D/O.

You are spending a good chunk of cash on this PC and you aren't getting an NVME drive, you are spending a lot of money on the graphics card which will have outdated tech in the next year, and you are picking 3000mhz ram when your chip can support 4000mhz.

Edited by PiZZADOX

What do you mean by NVME drive? The new Samsung 960 Evo? I am currently thinking about upgrading to this one.

My only reason for 32 GB RAM is getting back into DCS in the near future.

I largely need that soundcard when I am using my headset for DCS or BMS.

For regular stuff I am using an external USB audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1st Gen) and ESI nEar 08 studio speakers.

New config:

1 x Intel® Core™ i7-8700K, Prozessor

1 x be quiet! Dark Rock 4, CPU-Kühler

1 x be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W, PC-Netzteil

1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM Alternate, Betriebssystem-Software

1 x Seagate Barracuda 4 TB, Festplatte

1 x Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Super Jetstream, Grafikkarte

1 x Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium, Tower-Gehäuse

1 x Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB, Solid State Drive

1 x MSI B360 GAMING PRO CARBON, Mainboard

1 x G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit, Arbeitsspeicher

1 x Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx, Soundkarte

You should be able to find a workaround for using your headset with a default motherboard, as it'll save you an unnecessary expenditure (this, coming from an audiophile and former recording engineer).

Pizza was referring to NVMe SSDs, which are significantly faster than SATA drives. They're spendy.

Jup found that out recently and figured that it didn't make much of a difference so I opted in for the NVME SSD.

I now opted for a way cheaper Audigy soundcard. I could still upgrade afterward.

Why are you so adamant at getting a sound card when you won't be gaining that much and you'll the throwing a chunk cash for it.

i just want to get a good sound out of my headset.

my current soundcard comes in at around 25 to 30 € 

I just my motherboard soundcard and to be honest that’s fine. Then again, my headphones and mic are also cheap. But for hearing squashed radio chatter and the whine of a jet engine that’s totally OK :)

The NVME drive is worth it.

An internal soundcard will be as good (bad) as a nice motherboard's onboard sound. You probably have some realtek ALC variant which is just fine for 99% of stuff. Check the ohms rating on your headphones. If your pair of cans is good enough then again, opt for an external DAC and AMP. No one worth their salt buys an internal sound card anymore. Almost all of the limitations on an onboard solution are found on an internal sound card.

I hate to be the guy recommending more expensive stuff, but if you only care about gaming and care not about audio production, and you are a complete madman, you should get this: https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc-overview/

The output is extremely clean/flat, it has a toslink input, it's own microphone input, has a good volume dial, and can power resistant headphones.