The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

HeadShot

ArmA 3 - United Operations at Arma Finland [2018-05-13] 1600z

First event in a long time I would have loved to join in on.  Unfortunately, unable to attend that day.

I sincerely hope this event will turn out well and that similar styled events will be held/ joined in the near future (externally hosted or hosted by UO).  Looking forward for some immersive AAR footage!

Correction to the UO max playercount. Instead of 37 slots, there should be 39 (USAF Pararescue is also reserved for UO).

How do we know if were in (sorry I'm new).

Presumably Headshot will release a public roster or have Arma Finland update the roster on their event notes sometime this week based off the sign up responses. 

In AFI Sync, after you have downloaded the mods, you can join the test server simply by clicking "join server". If you get in the server, everything should be working fine!

The actual mission won't be uploaded at this point unfortunately.

Slotting will be in priority of who signed up first, we're looking at 43 sign-ups for a total of 39 slots. In other words, if you show up you'll have a slot.

Paavo will be acting as coy command, FoxxyFrost is currently slotted as Platoon Leader, Max, as the 2IC, SovietPolarBear, SgtDeadly, Hittheman, and SgtDeadly as backups.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ibc9gzrw7jaavwu/AAAtiCcQgnj0-u39LN_6oUMda?dl=0&preview=AFISync_rc.zip

Edited by HeadShot

Slotting will be in priority of who signed up first, we're looking at 43 sign-ups for a total of 39 slots. In other words, if you show up you'll have a slot.

Paavo will be acting as coy command, FoxxyFrost is currently slotted as Platoon Leader, Max, as the 2IC, SovietPolarBear, SgtDeadly, Hittheman, and SgtDeadly as backups.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YLAgOBPwsqq7HEOulr4CKu77ItsaZxXAO65qY8YnRko/edit?usp=sharing

My role as the Company Commander will be to guide the players towards the gameplay experience we are looking to create. I will give UO and SSG Platoon leadership general guidelines and tasks, but it will be completely up to you to plan and execute your missions. The warning order document reveals the initial plan for UO's Delta Platoon, but it only tells you where to go and what to do at the very beginning of the mission. After that, it's all about interacting with the Swedish Platoon (SSG) and the finnish speaking players, and adapting to the changing situation.  

Remember that this event attempts to simulate a crisis-control, peacekeeping mission where the actual enemies are difficult to distinguish from the civilians. This means that when a Platoon is ordered to conduct presence patrols in a region and your squad encounters civilians, you will not start to zip-tie and search each individual for weapons. And if you did something like this despite instructions not-to, as a reaction that civilian group will most likely turn hostile towards ISAF. After that we would have 6 more potential enemy combatants... We will go through the ROE at the beginning in the overall mission briefing.  

Edited by Paavo

Updated link to the latest version of AFI Sync, it includes a better method of delta patching.

Hello folks, Furean from Arma Finland here!

Tomorrows' game is fast approaching, so I'm posting some finals bits of information for you to have a look at before tomorrow.

I've got some screenshots where you can familiarise yourself with how the different factions will look like in the mission. I've also included a quick guide on how to use a useful inhouse Task Force Radio script that we have in our server.

FACTIONS IN THE MISSION

GUIDE FOR USING ARMA FINLAND'S TASK FORCE RADIO / ACE SCRIPT

The event was partially a success, and partially a failure:

+ Players understood the setting and were able to play in a light roleplaying setting throughout the event. ROE was for the most part understood and followed by everyone.

+ The level of immersion was quite high, as the civilians went about doing their own business while the ISAF searched for the Taliban insurgents, manned checkpoints etc.

+ Playercount and participation was very good for this type of event.

+ While the mission itself was heavy with scripts, it was technically sound. With 150 players, there are always some tech. issues, but these were for the most part due to connection issues etc.

- The core gameplay mechanic that was designed to keep the civilians busy had a planning error. This single error had a domino-effect, and as a result instead of activating the tribes to be more-and-more aggressive towards each other, everything stalled. This meant that the only aggressive faction in the event was the Taliban, and they lacked the resources to attack the ISAF more aggressively

-Preparing the ISAF Forces for the mission could have been better. SSG ja UO Platoon leaders should have been briefed prior to the event, to cut down the planning and preparation phase at the beginning of the event, and to help the Platoon leaders better understand the setting prior to going in and planning on the fly.

- Miscommunication and misinformation is always present in a complicated roleplaying environment. The event should have been simplified on many things, especially gameplaymechanic wise.

---

Overall conclusion: I am frustrated that a minor planning error lead to a situation where the event was boring for most players. I can still see the potential of this kind of event-concept, and with only a few adjustments it could turn out to be a major success. This type of event has not been tried in the similar way before, so it is natural that some things didn't work as planned. It is noteworthy to mention that the playerbase proved that they were capable of playing this type of event, and not turn it into a chaotic Altis-Life type of clusterfuckery. The failures were about the design, and the design can be changed.

I hope that these types of international events will be held in the future as well.

Edited by Paavo