Impulse 9

Kingslayer for PRO

Add Kingslayer as a PRO Officer  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Add Kingslayer as a PRO Officer?

• Yes
    • No

I am applying for the position of Public Relations Officer.

As many of you are no doubt aware, I am currently running the WW2 events project. WW2 events have always been popular in the past, and this is something myself and others such as James and Headshot have been trying to make a regular thing, with at least monthly events.

At this point the project is large, we have over 40 missions either created or in development, and 14 active mission makers. Those numbers are likely only to get larger.

The last event we ran we a great success, and we are hoping to run the next event in mid May. I've assisted in creating two other Arma 3 WW2 events, as well as organised or assisted with multiple I44 events for Arma 2.

Up to this point I've been working with Headshot, which as worked well, unfortunately his real life commitments mean he soon will not be able to provide much time. I feel a project this size needs an officer overseeing it. In addition as the person organising the event, it would be extremely useful for me not to have to go through someone else and hope they are available when dealing with the required bureacratic side of event creation, but to instead be able to deal with things directly myself, such as liaising with the other PROs when picking event dates, and not have to await approval when a date is selected.

I'm also on the discords of a number of WW2 Arma mods, and being able to communicate with these devs in an 'official' capacity, would be very helpful. Similarly there has been interest from other communities in playing WW2 events with us, and I'd like to be able to speak to them on behalf of UO if further discussions take place.

Being a PRO isn't just about running a pet project though, and the thought of putting up a PRO poll is an idea I've flirted with in the past. I think we need more events, as they are a good way of bringing the kind of gameplay the regulars want to see back on the server.

I will be honest and state that the WW2 project will be my primary focus, however I am more than happy to work with the other PROs and assist on other events. I believe I have a good relationship with the other PROs already, and do not foresee any issues in working with them.

I do also have a number of ideas for non WW2 events. In particular at some point I would like to set up a series of campaign games, where we play through a series of missions where one affects the next. I'd also like to look at the idea of possibly including UOTC in more events, as and when Cath is more available, for instance perhaps looking at an event where new leaders are encouraged and supported, with more experienced players and instructors in 2IC slots, for example.

While my job and family don't allow me to play Arma as much as I did some years ago, I'm pretty much always available on Discord and the forums, and as shown by the last WW2 event, I do have the time to dedicate to the administration and running of events.

I know there have been concerns about the PR office becoming 'overstuffed' with a large number of officers, but I feel that the overall benefits outlined above would outweigh any disadvantages, and I would be a net asset to UO.

This poll requires a simple majority vote lasting two weeks, ending on 2018/05/04.

This poll was put up at Regular Request.

Yes, your last event was the best we've had in over a year so I have confidence in your ability to produce more. 

I cannot see the reasoning why we need five officers in one department. If we traded one of the existing (not naming names), then I could get behind this. Voting no.

Edited by Nathan

Easy yes.

Kingslayer has been great to work with over the last few months on the WW2 events and has done a good job leading and organising them. I feel with King as PRO more good events will come as a result.

King is also willing to work with the other PROs and work on other projects as well as the WW2 stuff, which is a bonus.

Edited by James27

Easy yes on this. Can set up events, and cross community events. There is no fucking limit on how many PROs we can have. its not like we a lot of people willing to do the job.

Edited by WA Lancer

Easy yes on this. Can set up events, and cross community events. There is no fucking limit on how many PROs we can have. its not like we a lot of people willing to do the job.

This, this and this. There is no "trading", there is no limit, so why the fuck not?

1x PRO == 1x event.

5x PRO == 5x events

right?

Voted yes

Dangerously British, but he is a good man lad who has organized some brilliant WW2 events. Having him as a PRO would also take some work off the shoulders of the other PROs in the way that he can organize future WW2 (and maybe others) events himself without creating too much work for other PROs.

Yes.

Edited by znoop

1x PRO == 1x event.

5x PRO == 5x events

right?

Voted yes

Voting No, the math does not compute or rather is not working.

I won't deny the events you've been involved with are usually pretty good but I do not understand why you can not work with the other 4 PRO's if one of the them is busy.  If its because they do not communicate with each other how will a fifth fix that?

Yes. Kingslayer is effective.

Also I have always thought that having extra officers is a very good idea.

Yes from me. Makes great events and the more events the better. I think people would be foolish not to vote him a yes.

Edited by Matty93

Basically this. Also it's good to get some Tea into PRO.

Edited by azzwort

I voted yes for King's reg poll and god damn it I'm voting yes again for the man to become a PRO. The WW2 events have been an amazing experience despite some mission bugs.  

I'll be honest, I'm giving a reluctant yes. The first WWII event left a very bad taste in my mouth because of the debacle with the event organizers and the MMO office pointing fingers at each other over who was to blame for the event's issues. After the administrative and mission issues in the first event, I wasn't expecting a lot from the second one.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. The second event went well and, although I wasn't able to play for the entire thing, I had a great time during the portion I did get to play and heard good things about the rest. Given the event's success, I'm putting aside any personal misgivings I have in recognition of Kingslayer's ability to turn the WWII event around.

On a different note, if both Kingslayer and Max saw it necessary to become PROs themselves in order to get their events moving efficiently, then I think it is time to trim the fat in the PRO office.

Edited by SgtDeadly12

I'll be honest, I'm giving a reluctant yes. The first WWII event left a very bad taste in my mouth because of the debacle with the event organizers and the MMO office pointing fingers at each other over who was to blame for the event's issues. After the administrative and mission issues in the first event, I wasn't expecting a lot from the second one.

The WW2 event back in November wasn't organised by Kingslayer, he contributed a few missions and helped test others. He decided to organise the next one after it became clear CathFawr wasn't going to because Cath could not commit the time.

I feel that whatever administrative problems that one suffered, shouldn't affect people's decisions in this poll as Kingslayer didn't make those decisions.

Edited by James27

The WW2 event back in November wasn't organised by Kingslayer, he contributed a few missions and helped test others. He decided to organise the next one after it became clear CathFawr wasn't going to because Cath could not commit the time.

I feel that whatever administrative problems that one suffered, shouldn't affect people's decisions in this poll as Kingslayer didn't make those decisions.

I was under the impression that he was quite involved with the first event, but I guess I overestimated his involvement. As I said, however, I am voting yes. I did not write my post with the intention of persuading anyone else to vote no.

The "pointing fingers" boiled down to "MMO agreed to do the thing, did not do the thing". Regardless, King was a lean-on for me during the org of that first event based on his already proven track record with ww2 events. As I understand it, the second went far better, not that I need a reason to vote yes on this poll as I know king well enough to surmise he'd do a great job, but that alone would seal it for me.

Edited by CathFawr