The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
PaxJaromeMalues

Small but useful (windows) software thread

I am not sure if I am one of the only ones sometimes spending quite some time on the net trying to find thoose small tools that make your life a tad bit easier.

Lets share the small tools we gathered over time so others may profit from them as well.

I will make the start with this one:

Link Shell Extension

As Windows for most users is a graphical experience and time is somehow spend more clicking things instead of using PowerShell I always hated the fact I had to go to the Shell just to drop a more specialized link type.

This tool adds this function to the right-click explorer menue.

1. You select a source (object or directory).

2. You drop the perviously selected source as one of the link types which fit the source type.

lse0.png lse1.png

Myself I often use Process Explorer and WinMerge.

Process Explorer can display virtually all data about running processes,  think of it as of Task Manager on steroids.

Winmerge is good for maintaining files which are not in source control system. Useful for Arma missions.

Windows itself has some good programs that not many people know about, like Resource Monitor. It's useful for finding out what causes system slowdowns.