Sign in to follow this  
gibanica

Back in House squads

As the fusion of two former groups had started, we were having nice weekdays plays back in 2011-2012. I wasnt part of any former group, but I liked the way UO playing that time.

My first missions in the autumn 2011 I remember.

A2 using Six Updater, modpacks, dual core,  JSRS, avoiding smoke puffs, 15 FPS anyway, heavy firefight - I had a comicbook not a videogame...every single night new play, new fun. aaah.. Nice memories.

Today we have those events, cool, but way too rare. 

Maybe I have missed a lot of forum discussions few past years, but I can noticed, events have started as ArmA3 popped up. So the reasons for upper situations, unknown.

Since when we have events, and not regular open game every night? ANd whats the reason being like that...

Definitely enjoyed those times too, I think that we're just pretty unknown for the most part so we don't get a lot of people coming through, great memories though!

Since when we have events, and not regular open game every night? ANd whats the reason being like that...

I'm not sure what you mean by this, we've always had events. If you are referring to the steam group, that's something I've begun since I became a PRO. It doesn't force gameplay to those times, but that is when play usually is. 

This is the situation because of numbers, there isn't much content being produced that draws in players, and those that do produce like Haggerty, Lancer, Sheriff, etc, get burnt out.

Numbers remain sustainable and the infrastructure has always been in place to facilitate the communities requirements.

The issue of "getting more players" is a very complex situation, but one solvable through content production.

Again, the steam group events are because of the reduced numbers. It is "open play" every night, but that takes a commitment from players to jump on and seed the servers, something 

edit: Having people willing to run and organize events is paramount to success, there is a ton of work that is done behind the scenes to organize and plan events. There is a system in place to facilitate this kind of cooperation.

I don't want to sound negative, in fact, I'm pleased that there is discussion occurring.

Edited by HeadShot

yep that's what am I talking abt. open play every night, I mean..you, me and a dozen more up on the UO public, running a random mission.

Events run on weekends no probs. But Im sure that UO can gather up 10-15 ppl by weekdays.

Then go on the server and start to play, I dont understand it, so many people want to play during the week, but no one is actually joining the server.

Then go on the server and start to play, I dont understand it, so many people want to play during the week, but no one is actually joining the server.

I second this. I for one am usually to busy to play during the weekdays, or when I'm not busy, prefer to spend my time playing other games. If users wish to play during the week, there's nothing stopping them gathering a small group and playing, there isn't a rule saying we can only play at the weekends, its just that's when most people are free.

One way you could get users to hop on the server is to make a post on the forums/discord saying you are hoping to play, give a time and a day and some will likely express an interest in joining you.

20:45 CET

yETss4j2QVKteEgoydq51A.jpeg

20:45 CET

yETss4j2QVKteEgoydq51A.jpeg

Well done, you just hopped on randomly, most people wouldn't have noticed your attempts to seed the server. If you coordinated with those who would also wish to play during the week, then you might actually be able to get a session started.

One way you could get users to hop on the server is to make a post on the forums/discord saying you are hoping to play, give a time and a day and some will likely express an interest in joining you.

Edited by James27

I can't see that you asked people on discord if they might want to join, I'm not sure if I was on TS on that time, but did you ask people in the barracks if they have interest to play? 

If you think that people will wait for you to jump into the ts game channels and suddenly come to play with you in the dozens, you're wrong. I needs some work and time to get the server started, if you just go around and ask people you might be able to get some players on the server.

Exposure is important, I can't comment on what you've done Gib, I haven't seen anything, but sending out a msg on discord, or hit me up to post a steam event pop-up, that should definitely help gather attention.

I saw people today on the server playing. I'll try to play more when I see people on. I remember I used to get people to join me when I did CO-OPS alone. (with success I might add(i know straight blasphemy)) The problem is that nobody really wants to play by themselves. Maybe a few of us, if we are willing to play, could go sit in the primary channel to rally people. That's how it used to work.... you get a handful of people in there and suddenly everyone is like HEY THE PRIMARY IS LIT! LETS GO! Another issue is: what mission or game mode do we have that one person can start and have fun with, that others can join? we simply dont support that style of game play. It's not milsimmy enough for people not to complain about. The only option is to seed the server. Post that you are going to play on the forums and try to get some people involved. (might help) It might take a little organization but the individuals who want to play need to make a big effort as opposed to just waiting till there is a scheduled event. We gotta just sit in the primary or waiting channel and just congregate there.. like the old days. we gotta be hungry for it. I for one am willing to play more regularly if others are too. I'll try to seed more too. I'll even try to lead if it will get more people interested. Even if its just for the meme of seeing me lead. YEAH ARMA !

Edited by siR_miLLs

Well Im thankful for upper two posts! it seems we ll need some time, but its rolling up.

@James27

Reading your posts I can't still figure out are you willing hop in by weekdays or not. I hope you are. ;)

The lack of weekday play was a direct result of the forced switch to Arma 3, and the total lack of mission and mod content in the first few months. We lost a *lot* of players and they never came back.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Slider. 

At the time, sure the Arma 2 playerbase was diminishing, and would likely have kept diminishing further; but that "diminishing" playerbase here at UO was still larger than our current playerbase, with games at all hours even if they were just shitty seeders. The ability for Arma 2 players to A) check out the server whenever they liked and B) see United Operations - SRV 1 in the top ten serverlist by playercount at basically all times of the day was huge for our ability to attract and sustain players.

Arma 3 was all but dead on arrival at this community. No ACE, no ACRE, few missions, and fewer good ones, no US/Sov stuff, I mean for fuck's sake we were using the ancient and lost art of Teamspeak Commanders! It took over a year for Arma 3 and it's mods to be in a state that supported our style of play, and it showed. Everyone who was in the habit of playing during the weekdays fucked off to other servers, we no longer had the benefit of all that free advertising, and we had nothing unique to set up apart for a long, long time.

And to add insult to injury, TFAR (fucking TFAR!) was released and running on servers a good (i dont remember exactly how long this is a guess) three-four months before we had ACRE2 up and running. The most unique thing about United Operations Arma 2 was now being copied by some casual russians who didn't even do terrain modeling! To this day ACRE2 is not nearly as dominant as ACRE1 was in Arma 2.  

We really were not ready to play Arma 3 in a serious fashion when we transitioned, and sure, maybe Arma 2 was dying, but killing it off destroyed the player count here for a long, long time.

S4d, that is exactly why myself and many of my buddies even from OFP days stopped playing, and why a lot of units have never recovered to their ArmA 2 player counts. I agree, the biggest part that ruined the environment for early ArmA 3 was the lack of mod support, and this encouraged the new ACE team to rush their ports and implementation that has caused numerous problems we are still dealing with, primarily the animation and health system (particularly with the AI) that gets a complete revamp every few months for some reason. It is simply not filling the void that ArmA 2 mods did.

You can look at 15th MEU, 242 NS, 509th PIR, etc to see the effect that moving to ArmA 3 at that early date did to communities. Not only did it decrease the player counts but it also changed the direction that the modpacks were configured.

Edited by PiZZADOX