The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Whiplash

Boring Monday - Could it be a weekly thing?

Background

I have been thinking about this for a while and tried to figure out who I could approach this idea with best. Well, since I am not too connected among the Regular base here I decided to just write down my thoughts in this thread and who knows... maybe it will receive a few replies.

Disclaimer: This is not my sole idea. The proposed name of this and the general idea has been expressed by a Regular some time ago. I hope it is alright if I use the chosen name, if not, let me know.

It's been quite a while since I managed to release the first version of my Boring Monday mission. I usually do not appreciate talking too proudly about ones own creations, but the mission matured to a nice "mini/limited MSO" type mission. Most of my time donated to mission making has been put into improving the mission while being unable to finish other missions I was occasionally working on. By now there are even two versions available.

Now, I know that the resonance was not that great and the majority here hasn't played the mission for more than 5min (if at all). Nonetheless, I also witnessed players who were mostly new to the community enjoying the mission because it provided a playground for them to get familiar with pretty much most of the game features while still being in a "live" scenario with some actual and unscripted contacts and firefights.

Proposal / Intention

Since the server is still empty most of the time during the week, I was wondering if people were interested (or cared at all), if something like a Boring Monday weekday session were to become a thing. This could start off with the mission sharing the same name, but could eventually be expanded way beyond that single mission.

The intent would be to allow people who share a similar gameplay style and who may not always get satisfied from the weekend sessions to gather up and enjoy some serious, yet relaxed and slow paced mil-sim gameplay.

Key aspects of the play session could include:

• Having a mission that runs longer than usual
  • Allowing players to focus more on planning, execution and especially logistics with a changing player count and different available units/ assets
  • Providing lots of different assets to choose from which in turn allows CO's for great flexibility
  • Having a regular play session that would be perfect for new players to get familiar with the gameplay on the server
  • Allowing similar minded players to have a fixed day where they could expect to find people enjoying the same boring stuff
  • Eventually, maybe and probably only in my imagination, helping to improve gameplay by drifting a bit away from the very action loaded and fast paced gameplay
  • Attempting to simulate a very limited "mini MSO" type feeling (although it may only last couple of hours)

Since there is no intention to make any official event out of this, it would require the understanding and tolerance of the community to take place. But since the server is empty during these times anyway, I couldn't imagine anyone being bothered by having this run (given that people would actually be interested in joining).

Final thoughts

As someone who not always has time to play during the weekends, I think it would be a great idea to have something run during the week. Even more so if it would suit my personal preferences. Since this idea is fully based on my personal preferences (and since I am even promoting my own mission here), take this for what it's worth to you.

Nonetheless, I think it would be something new and different. And maybe something new and different could have a positive impact.

I would love to hear your comments on whether or not you think this could become a weekly thing:

• Do you think this would be possible from a sole organizational perspective?
  • Do you think this would require a more official approach?
  • Would you be at all interested in something like this and intent to join up for this (knowing that it will be "boring")?
  • Do you think my personal preferences do not fit in here and will not see the needed resonance to see this become a weekly thing?

I am obviously not a Regular and have little say. Additionally, the state of the community and what the people may or may not appreciate is beyond my judgement. Thus, any input would be greatly appreciated. And with the last sentence, I would like to specifically apologize for appearing to bluntly promoting my own mission here.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

This could get me back on the server week times. Sounds like what I missed for yuite some time, sadly I am very dependent on player count. Playing with only 4 people is not my thing.

I would def. show up if this rolls.

Hi Whiplash, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas. While I don't play much ARMA anymore, I appreciate what you are trying to do: get people playing longer missions that are more tactical and require more planning than normal. Personally, that interests me and I would welcome joining in on a session like that, as long as the time was right. But that's the rub for me - the timing.

I understand why you are using "boring" in the event description. It is tongue-in-cheek for a mission that will require more deliberation than other missions. I suggest that you do not use the term "boring" for any of your event descriptions because it may influence your player's general feelings during the mission and become a negative self-fulfilling prophecy, even if it is not actually "boring." Some other terms you might consider are "focus", "planning", "deliberate", "cautious", "operational", etc.

Good luck with your proposal and I hope to see something running from you soon!

.. I understand why you are using "boring" in the event description. ..

It's from his "Boring Monday" COOP missions on the server, there's a USMC & a BAF variant.

From my previous experiences with long running seeder-type missions, I can tell you that the overall experience will greatly rely on having a good commander - one with the mindset focused on the type of gameplay you want to achieve, as well as able to quickly deal with assigning tasks to JIPs and setting and enforcing a working chain of command. This will expecially be vital if the mission is intended to run many hours - get the wrong guy in charge and people will start leaving.

This type of mission would also greatly benefit from having someone assigned as Zeus to add another factor of uncertainty and replayability.

Both roles will need a good mechanism for picking the right sort of people for the job - most likely you'll need to convince a GM you trust to ensure the gameplay quality.

Should be 4 'play sessions' a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Each day at around 1PM, then again at 7PM, the Steam Group should have an announcement and the TS should have a mass poke. Encourage people to hop on. Where are the PROs, Officers, and Regulars that have committed themselves to this community? Why aren't they promoting play and encouraging people to get on? Where is any advertisement at all for play sessions or anything of the like?

It's disappointing seeing the server fill up once a week to 40 people and die an hour or two later. No effort at all from really anyone.

Should be 4 'play sessions' a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Each day at around 1PM, then again at 7PM, the Steam Group should have an announcement and the TS should have a mass poke. Encourage people to hop on. Where are the PROs, Officers, and Regulars that have committed themselves to this community? Why aren't they promoting play and encouraging people to get on? Where is any advertisement at all for play sessions or anything of the like?

It's disappointing seeing the server fill up once a week to 40 people and die an hour or two later. No effort at all from really anyone.

To be blunt, a lot of the regular base has grown up, particularly people that have been here for years. Speaking only for myself, between a complex and stressful job, a relationship and family, other hobbies, games and interests, etc, I have precious little time for arma. Friday and Saturday are populated because that is a time that actually suits a lot of people. I know in my case, I can't dedicate time during the week to arma.

Again I know in my case, myself and other regulars and officers are trying to organise a series of events, and to encourage more players on the server, but again this takes time because of everyone's commitments.

To be blunt, a lot of the regular base has grown up, particularly people that have been here for years. Speaking only for myself, between a complex and stressful job, a relationship and family, other hobbies, games and interests, etc, I have precious little time for arma. Friday and Saturday are populated because that is a time that actually suits a lot of people. I know in my case, I can't dedicate time during the week to arma.

Again I know in my case, myself and other regulars and officers are trying to organise a series of events, and to encourage more players on the server, but again this takes time because of everyone's commitments.

Oh totally, I'm fully aware. I mean, speaking for myself, I usually can't even make those few hour windows to play and I'm typically working in the evenings anyway. I'm just suggesting as a low-effort fix for little Steam notifications and TS and Discord announcements to encourage people that are available to play.

If regulars, officers, and the like are busy with real life shit which is the case, I think this will help organize sessions without anyone having to be directly involved.

This is a great idea Whip.  Using a day during the week when the server is empty to promote a different style of gameplay.  I would show up if the all of the UO rules are strictly respected and the pace differed from the usual UO style.  

Concerns:

1) The pace must be boring.  The whole idea of this specific day would be to offer a break from the usual UO mode of missions.  A day when milsim and briefing are not a dirty words.  When the focus is on relaxing the pace.  Relaxing the pace doesn't me allowing teamkiling, it means that running about in a blind rush to kill stuff is not permitted.  The speed of mission execution should be relaxed but not our UO code or charter.  The term boring is very important because calls to "hurry up" or "play a TvT" would be discouraged  and persistent whining about "boring" would result in kicks or bans for disrupting the gameplay.  

2) A mission with boring pace may be  supported on an empty server, but if this event is popular and the population increases we will soon be trying to stop a tide of demands to change the mission into your standard UO 1 hr hurry and shoot and kill and then put up another mission.  If the event is popular the pressure will be intense to lose the "boring" and change the gameplay to a style that is the same as every other day.    You will face a river of opposition, demanding change, more action, blaming regulars for poor leadership or attendance.

3)  I don't want to be the only reg present having to address the derping that may occur when players have been waiting around too long.   It is not enjoyable if there are 6-7 players (some regs) running amuck and some some are getting killed on the range.  I think that the community may not be able to wait around more than a few minutes.

Sounds like a great idea; on a low population day to use the empty server for a different style of ARMA.  But I doubt that the community will allow it.   The server may be empty again very quickly because of the pressure to homogenize gameplay.  Some players would rather have no-one using the server unless it is for fast action, kill, more kill type missions.

I would love to hear your comments on whether or not you think this could become a weekly thing:

• Do you think this would be possible from a sole organizational perspective?
  • Do you think this would require a more official approach?
  • Would you be at all interested in something like this and intent to join up for this (knowing that it will be "boring")?
  • Do you think my personal preferences do not fit in here and will not see the needed resonance to see this become a weekly thing?

MY two cents.

• Yes, this is easily doable as is almost any event/organised play session is. It really isn't hard to do the work required, whether you're successful in getting the players though is a different story.
  • No, if you have like minded people just ask them if they want to get on monday and play. If you want to play ARMA why does it have to be an "official" play session
  • No, I dont know anyone personally that enjoys this style of gameplay. When I play ARMA I want to be tested on fast paced tactical decision making and shooting, not how long I can hold W. This is why I love TVTs because they are generally dynamic (less so with attack/defend) and leaders do things differently. If we go back to the Op Road Warrior event (not the most recent one but the one before) that was the most fun I've had on ARMA in a long time. We drove around the AO conducting reconnaissance for the main tank platoon, engaged and destroyed enemy ATGM positions and took out enemy tanks, all this was done at an incredibly fast speed and leadership (myself included as a TL) had to make decisions quickly and correctly under pressure (pressure being enemy T90s).   
  • Im sorry I dont know what this means.

Thanks for the replies so far.  Concerns have been noted and been taken into consideration.

I guess the only way to really find out is to try and organize such a session.  In order to not waste an opportunity here, I will try and prepare this a little bit, defining goals, what one could expect from such a session, best suitable times etc.  Turnout might be very low and any effort eventually "for nothing", but for me, personally, the effort seems still worth it.

Just hope it would be fine from a server administrative view to "occupy" the server (even on a low population day with an average of 0-1 players usually present).  I mean, it would be something unofficial, but the intend would still be to have an organized session with a specific (or rough) time-frame.  Would be disappointing if the session had to be ended because people (who may not have joined specifically for the organized session) demand the mission to be changed.  Maybe a GM or likewise could just confirm here again quickly under which circumstances such an unofficial session could be hosted.  Last I want is to piss off people over this.  If this has to eventually be ended due to server statutes, then so be it.

Anyway, this might be a hit or miss kinda thing.  Once I managed to put some time into the organization I will see if I can/ am allowed to "officially announce the unofficial play session" here.  Who knows, maybe we will find enough people interested in this to have the numbers to get something going (guess we have to be considered lucky to hit 10-20 players).  Would like to aim towards the end of February to have the first (trial) session for this.  If you care for something like this, stay tuned.

Just a heads up:

Work on the mission for this is almost done, but due to the new implementations, a mission review needs to happen first. Thus, it will take a while to (potentially) make it through the review. Planning on trying to get something started within the next 2-3 weeks.

Yeah this sounds pretty great. Is this still running at all and if not would anyone like to start it up again?

I could also see this as an opportunity to reintegrate tactics and skills that have been slowly fading away among the wider server population without an official training.

Edited by TheHutch

Yeah this sounds pretty great. Is this still running at all and if not would anyone like to start it up again?

I could also see this as an opportunity to reintegrate tactics and skills that have been slowly fading away among the wider server population without an official training.

This is not running at the moment cause it never kicked off. I am probably the only one interested enough to try and get something going, but recent personal changes had me pulled back from the intended timelines posted above. I am still planning on getting this kicked off to see if anyone would join and enjoy this idea, but I will probably not be able to commit time to it for another 3-4 weeks (at least).

The mission referenced in the first post has been updated, however, and is pretty much good to go. Any changes needed need to be evaluated after playing the mission with couple of people. So, if anyone is willing to plan such a session on a Monday, all you need is a dedicated Mission Commander who lives up to the idea behind this intend, a solid Zeus player who can create immersive additions to the already randomized gameplay and a couple of levelheaded and interested players who enjoy slow gameplay and discourage hasty and hot headed actions.

So, unless someone wants to get this started sooner, I will still be trying to get something going some time in the next 1-2 months when I hopefully settled again and got the time and place for some ArmA.