Impulse 9

Enhanced Movement - Addon Request

Add Enhanced Movement to the modpack?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Add Enhanced Movement to the modpack?

• Yes
    • No

This is a poll to add "Enhanced Movement" mod to our mod pack, it allows player in ARMA to climb structures/objects that could be climbed in real life.

• Have you tried the mod with our modpack?

Yes

• Were there any RPT errors produced?

No Errors produced by the mod. Link of Report

• Is the mod still maintained by the developer?

Yes, Developer is active, the mod was first posted in 2014 and it was last updated in August.  He's also active on the Steam workshop page of the mod.

• What is the mod's file size unpacked?

0.598 MB

What does the mod add that warrants it's addition to our mod pack?

This mod allows players to climb objects that in reality you would be able to. For the most part any object that's just slightly taller than your height you can climb. This will perhaps add to the complexity of urban fighting making the experience more realistic as Urban fighting in real life is very complex. The following scenario will scratch the surface of what this mod will allow you to do in urban situations.

RMtscOX.jpg

The stairs to access this house is in the alleyway shown on the right side of the image, but the enemy has an MG team watching down this alleyway. So "Bob" decides to climb this low wall up to the porch to access the house (As seen in the images). Instead of exposing himself to the MGs fire in the alleyway. This mod enhances Urban Combat making it more complicated no longer do you have to leave and enter from the same way. We have all been in the situation running down a fence in ARMA looking for a gap in the fence thinking i can probably just climb this dumb wooden fence.

Looking forward to what you have to say,

Blue

This poll was put up at Regular Request.

This poll requires a 3/4 vote lasting one week.

Let me guess? No for file size? :D

This mod would be very nice addition because many older games have this functionality and it's 2017. It's time for Arma to catch up.

Has there been any discussion prior to this vote with the GSO's on adding this mod?  As a reminder any mod or add-on added via a vote can only be removed with a vote.

Voting yes, mod looks good and will allow players to climb those pesky walls that ACE seems to deem un-climbable despite players knowing they should be able to.

As a reminder any mod or add-on added via a vote can only be removed with a vote.

Also, unless I'm misinterpreting the GSO SOP 1.1, the GSO can indeed remove it without a poll if the mod later breaks and the submitter is unable to maintain it.

Has there been any discussion prior to this vote with the GSO's on adding this mod?  As a reminder any mod or add-on added via a vote can only be removed with a vote.

I have not talked to anyone from the GSO on the mod, also was under the impression that this is still in effect  "1.1 - Defective or broken mods may be removed from server by the GSOs without prior notice."

Also thought this is how mods are added , and the other forum topic was more of a discussion

Also, unless I'm misinterpreting the GSO SOP 1.1, the GSO can indeed remove it without a poll if the mod later breaks and the submitter is unable to maintain it.

Probably needs clarification, its been talked about in the past without any official clarification.  Here are some recent instances its come up but its even been discussed back in A2 removal votes if I remember.

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/24357-addition-of-shacktac-ui-mods/?p=293338

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/23090-arma-3-addition-of-rhs-content-upon-release/?p=280131

I have not talked to anyone from the GSO on the mod, also was under the impression that this is still in effect  "1.1 - Defective or broken mods may be removed from server by the GSOs without prior notice."

Also thought this is how mods are added , and the other forum topic was more of a discussion

We can always ask a GSO to add a mod.

Seems neat, is there a way to enable/disable it on demand (as in, make it mission configurable)? I can see this breaking fortifications in certain missions.

I have not talked to anyone from the GSO on the mod.

Voting no. 

This could be cool, but jumping up and making a poll that will effect missions and gameplay instead of actually taking time to discuss the merits of a mod in a separate forum thread is not a behavior I want to encourage. 

Edited by azzwort

Voting no. 

This could be cool, but jumping up and making a poll that will effect missions and gameplay instead of actually taking time to discuss the merits of a mod in a separate forum thread is not a behavior I want to encourage. 

Why can't this be that thread?

It gives a lot more range of movement. It allows for players to be more flexible and creative. It adds a bit of realism (depending on how it is configured I assume).

The only thing you point out is it may affect current missions, to that I say how badly does it hurt these missions? If a mission is broken by the fact that you can climb over objects higher than your chest, then I question the mission design as a whole.

Voting yes.

Do you know how it determines if an object is to tall to climb over? Also, how long does it take for the animation to complete? And does a players weight impact climbing ability?

It looks cool.

Why can't this be that thread?

Call me crazy, but maybe a few days of discussion before polling something might be a good idea? Like it's cool that you're all wildmen who live your lives on the edge and never plan anything, but I'd like to put a little thought and discussion into something that I want that will effect everyone.

Edited by azzwort

Do you know how it determines if an object is to tall to climb over? Also, how long does it take for the animation to complete? And does a players weight impact climbing ability?

It looks cool.

• There are 4 heights that the mod allows your to climb onto, with the highest object you are able to climb onto just taller than an average Arma player.
  • Your weight impacts your ability to climb by limiting on how high you can climb and how fast you do it, for example if we have 3 objects in-front of us: Object A (1.9 Meters) , Object B (1.2 Meters) , Object C (0.5 Meters) .  Mission makers through parameters can change this but if you are 45 kg you can only climb object C (0.5 Meters). If you carried 30kg of equipment instead of 45 kg you can now climb C (0.5 Meters) and B (1.2 Meters) and cannot climb object A (1.9)  etc.. 
  • It takes about 6 seconds for the animation to complete to climb over obstacles with about 21 kg of weight haven't tested for heavier weights.

Seems neat, is there a way to enable/disable it on demand (as in, make it mission configurable)? I can see this breaking fortifications in certain missions.

It is mission configurable the mod allows you to tweak variables to cater it to your mission , you can completely disable climbing and vaulting if you wish. 

Here is a list of variables that the mod allows you to define for your mission:

• Weight Limits ( How heavy you need to be to climb a certain fixed height)
  • Booleans to limit movement  ( Disabling climbing Onto things , or Over things)
  • Boolean to disable Enhanced Movement locally
  • Animation Speed Coefficient 
Edited by Bluef16

I would prefer to walk rather than run, sometimes a jog is okay. But climbing walls ... I've had too many pizzas .

Voting No.

• There are 4 heights that the mod allows your to climb onto, with the highest object you are able to climb onto just taller than an average Arma player.
  • Your weight impacts your ability to climb by limiting on how high you can climb and how fast you do it, for example if we have 3 objects in-front of us: Object A (1.9 Meters) , Object B (1.2 Meters) , Object C (0.5 Meters) .  Mission makers through parameters can change this but if you are 45 kg you can only climb object C (0.5 Meters). If you carried 30kg of equipment instead of 45 kg you can now climb C (0.5 Meters) and B (1.2 Meters) and cannot climb object A (1.9)  etc.. 
  • It takes about 6 seconds for the animation to complete to climb over obstacles with about 21 kg of weight haven't tested for heavier weights.

It is mission configurable the mod allows you to tweak variables to cater it to your mission , you can completely disable climbing and vaulting if you wish. 

• Booleans to limit movement  ( Disabling climbing Onto things , or Over things)

Im glad my concern i was planning on voicing got answered in your response. Would vote yes if i could fam

If we add this I believe we should have it turned off by default and make it opt-in, my plan would be to add a module in the Olsen Framework to enable it by default. The end goal being backwards compatibility with older misions.

I think not off by default but rather we just keep vaulting over things on and climbing objects off, that way you can't climb fortifications 

Edited by Bluef16

How does it treat items such as razor wire and other obstacles you could technically climb but never would?

Sorry all the questions but I am like Azzwort and would prefer some discussion before a decision.

Would probably merit a test with all the different map object we have in our modpack. While climbing some walls is certainly useful, taking a fully loaded soldier and having him pull himself up onto an 8 ft obstacle is pretty gamey.

Edited by ThePieSpy

Would probably merit a test with all the different map object we have in our modpack. While climbing some walls is certainly useful, taking a fully loaded soldier and having him pull himself up onto an 8 ft obstacle is pretty gamey.

It isn't possible to pull yourself up if you weight more than 20 kg we can adjust that even more .. so that maybe only 10 kg so the mod does take that fully into account

would be good if we could add exception to razer wire.

How does it treat items such as razor wire and other obstacles you could technically climb but never would?

The developer does mention an object blacklist, I am trying to see the details. That being said if climbing is disabled which is possible through variables you cannot climb the razor wire.

Played around with it, seems okay, Can open up for some interesting gameplay.

Voted yes.

And it appears to not add any dependencies, so if we need to remove it, it won't break anything.