Sign in to follow this  
SgtDeadly12

TVT55 Badger Blues V5 8/18/17

I was the Opfor platoon leader for the playthrough of this mission and it went phenomenally well. Opfor only took a single casualty and it was due to one of the BMP gunners getting an itchy trigger finger and friendly firing Sir Mills. I did my best to keep things going well and I think I did a good job, but I also have to commend the squad leaders and vehicles commanders for their roles. They all followed orders well, but still took the initiative when they needed to. Good squad and vehicle leadership were essential to our success. My overall concept of keeping everyone close enough to support each other when they got into contact was executed quite well by the platoon and whenever the enemy showed itself we had multiple soldiers and vehicles engaging and destroying the contact within seconds. At the end of the mission we killed the last enemy in town as he was hiding in a barn and claimed the town of Staroye for Mother Russia.

We did lose the T-72 to an insanely lucky (or skillful) AT4 shot from 400m that managed to penetrate the front of the tank somehow and we also lost one of the BMPs to a TOW missile, but the crews of both AFVs managed to dismount safely. We did get lucky that the Bradley missed our BMPs early on in the mission and we were also lucky that it decided to rush right into the bulk of our forces and get blown up. Still, this playthrough of Badger Blues was some of the best Arma that I have played at UO in a long time.

I put together an Imgur album that I think gives a decent blow-by-blow of how the mission went for Opfor. Here is the link.

Here's the replay of the mission.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the other players in the mission as I was never really on the frontline and played the whole thing through my radio. I would also like any videos or screenshots of the mission to be shared too. So please, post below!

EDIT: Tinfoil's stream has the mission on it.

Edited by SgtDeadly12

I was a Russian fire-team leader in 235. Very effective play-through of mission. 

3 Sustains:

1.) Continued to advance to contact at a rate that we could mostly control.

2.) Command developed a plan that enabled us to perform platoon bounding across a large piece of terrain while still maintaining some level of over watch from vehicles.

3.) Once we made contact with the enemy force we were able to coordinate direct fires and destroy the threat very quickly (Tinfoil's video shows this at 02:29:00).

3 Improves:

1.) Vehicle Crew coordination. Our BMPs made contact with an enemy M2A2 while maneuvering to our initial dismount point. It took the BMPs several minutes to deploy, report, and develop the situation. I'm not even sure we engaged the first M2A2 we came across. Vehicle commanders should have oriented on the threat, prepared to engage target in conjunction with at least another vehicle, reported to higher that they had contact with enemy vehicle, requested permission to engage, and then opened and closed on the target. This whole process should have taken no more than 30 seconds. It took several minutes.

2.) There was a Blue-on-Blue incident that resulted in the loss of one member from 235. The CO clearly announced that friendly forces were operating in the relevant area. Vehicle commanders, it is your responsibility to monitor the radio and pass all relevant information to your gunners. In this instance, if you were not actively engaging a target, you should have told your gunners to PID the friendlies momentarily so they 100% understood where friendly forces were operating in relation to their sector of scans. SgtDeadly, because your dismounts were operating so far apart, it may have been advantageous to force each vehicle commander to directly acknowledge the location of friendly forces instead of announcing it on the PLT NET and hope they heard it.

3.) SGTDeadly, I would recommend using more graphic control measures to help control your maneuver. Use phase lines, check points, TRPs to better coordinate your movement and fires. The vehicles routinely outpaced the infantry (and you rightly corrected them to pull back over and over). Using phase lines may have resulted in them not passing beyond infantry by clearly establishing their limit of advances.

And please stop with this binocular parties.

TCbBjs5.jpg

I was a Russian fire-team leader in 235. Very effective play-through of mission. 

3 Sustains:

1.) Continued to advance to contact at a rate that we could mostly control.

2.) Command developed a plan that enabled us to perform platoon bounding across a large piece of terrain while still maintaining some level of over watch from vehicles.

3.) Once we made contact with the enemy force we were able to coordinate direct fires and destroy the threat very quickly (Tinfoil's video shows this at 02:29:00).

3 Improves:

1.) Vehicle Crew coordination. Our BMPs made contact with an enemy M2A2 while maneuvering to our initial dismount point. It took the BMPs several minutes to deploy, report, and develop the situation. I'm not even sure we engaged the first M2A2 we came across. Vehicle commanders should have oriented on the threat, prepared to engage target in conjunction with at least another vehicle, reported to higher that they had contact with enemy vehicle, requested permission to engage, and then opened and closed on the target. This whole process should have taken no more than 30 seconds. It took several minutes.

2.) There was a Blue-on-Blue incident that resulted in the loss of one member from 235. The CO clearly announced that friendly forces were operating in the relevant area. Vehicle commanders, it is your responsibility to monitor the radio and pass all relevant information to your gunners. In this instance, if you were not actively engaging a target, you should have told your gunners to PID the friendlies momentarily so they 100% understood where friendly forces were operating in relation to their sector of scans. SgtDeadly, because your dismounts were operating so far apart, it may have been advantageous to force each vehicle commander to directly acknowledge the location of friendly forces instead of announcing it on the PLT NET and hope they heard it.

3.) SGTDeadly, I would recommend using more graphic control measures to help control your maneuver. Use phase lines, check points, TRPs to better coordinate your movement and fires. The vehicles routinely outpaced the infantry (and you rightly corrected them to pull back over and over). Using phase lines may have resulted in them not passing beyond infantry by clearly establishing their limit of advances.

And please stop with this binocular parties.

TCbBjs5.jpg

Thank you for your response, Max. You are right in saying that I should have forced each vehicle to acknowledge the location of friendlies on OP-105. I had hoped that repeating myself over the radio several times would be enough to inform each BMP crew, but obviously, one crew did not receive my messages. I also should have drawn more graphics on the map. I kept the graphics simple with the idea that if I made a detailed plan on the map it would end up falling apart when we hit contact anyway, but I now recognize that phase lines, check points, and TRPs would have helped a great deal with the organization of the platoon and spared me from having to call back the vehicles when they ran ahead of the infantry.

As for the binocular party, I did eventually split that up, although it took me a while. I was afraid the TOW launcher that just missed the BMP was going to put a missile in the center of our little party. In order to prevent this sort of thing in the future, I will attach elements of my HQ squad such as the sniper and PSG to other squads so that I don't have ~5 guys milling around the rear with me and all flocking to the same spot as soon as something interesting happens. I'll also make sure to attach any surviving vehicle crews to other squads so they don't just mill around the back too.

I was the squad leader of Molotok 235 and had Max as my Efreiter/teamleader and he greatly helped me due to my inexperience as a squadleader, but i believe we followed the plan relatively well although since our BMP was slow to get going when we got the dismount order on the LR Radio we were still a couple of hundred meters away from the dismount point and we began receiving light autocannon fire from the enemy Bradley and therefore my squad got spread out and it took me some time to get everyone grouped up and ready to go.

I think i dealt with that situation relatively well and got completely inline with the rest of the platoons movements once we reached the field directly east of OP-103. 

Your platoon leading was great and I think I was too quiet on the radio in the beginning of the mission and I should of informed you straight away we got dropped of early and recieved fire from the enemy Bradley on OP-102. but overall the plan was executed well and you changed the original plan to work out well in the end. Your utilisation of the BMPs to put down firesupport whenever we took contact worked perfectly and definitely helped with achieving the low causalty rate and made sure we only lost 1 guy and our vehicles.

Will post the footage from my POV as soon as possible.