The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

DrSlaughterRex

Laws of War DLC reveal trailer

Wonder what could come of this.

Side note at end of video:  Portion of all proceeds will be donated to The International Committee of the Red Cross

Edit:

Luetin's detailed look into the DLC and update:

Edited by DrSlaughterRex

Not all, only a portion, and in 2017.

I'd like to see some mission makers make missions out of this where you have to play another side of a war. Play as the humanitarian, get captured by some bad guys, send in the troops, ???, profit.

Very pleased to see the DLC featuring something different from the conventional warfare stuff.

Always been a fan of including civilians into gameplay and make up scenarios that are more complicated than just to assault some position. This could indeed lead to some nice and intense missions with a different focus (clearing minefields, avoiding killing civs, ...). Probably not suitable for the community, but I am sure it would allow for great roleplay experiences with a multi faction TVT setup (with players controlling the humanitarian faction where they have objectives that do not include shooting stuff).

As always though, content is very much in line with their "futuristic" approach. Not sure how well this can be incorporated into missions featuring the modern day content from RHS or the like. I will never get used to seeing civilians with western clothing walking along the desert roads of Kunduz.

All in all, I am excited though to check this out soon!

Very pleased to see the DLC featuring something different from the conventional warfare stuff.

Always been a fan of including civilians into gameplay and make up scenarios that are more complicated than just to assault some position. This could indeed lead to some nice and intense missions with a different focus (clearing minefields, avoiding killing civs, ...). Probably not suitable for the community, but I am sure it would allow for great roleplay experiences with a multi faction TVT setup (with players controlling the humanitarian faction where they have objectives that do not include shooting stuff).

As always though, content is very much in line with their "futuristic" approach. Not sure how well this can be incorporated into missions featuring the modern day content from RHS or the like. I will never get used to seeing civilians with western clothing walking along the desert roads of Kunduz.

All in all, I am excited though to check this out soon!

That's exactly my thoughts.

I would love to see some missions where a unit must accompany the IDAP (The new civilian faction) on operations to remove mines from an area, for example.

There's a lot of good potential missions that can come out of something that seems so simple.

When we already try in missions to simulate respecting the red cross and people dont follow it whats the point of this DLC, ROLF.

But now, while you are gunning down civlians and destroying red crystal vehicles and burning their placards you can pick up some neato pamphlet your IA guys distributed a few days ago that has a picture of dickbutt on it.

THE FUTURE IS NOW.

When we already try in missions to simulate respecting the red cross and people dont follow it whats the point of this DLC, ROLF.

Last time i made a mission called Hearts and Mind against insurgents mixed with civilians at night, US forces pounded the village with M60s from 600m. Had they access to mortars im rather sure they'd level the place down.

In general, Ive never seen civilians well treated on UO matches.

Edited by Maffa

Well, one can only hope that with this DLC and the provided content, people might be more inclined to alter their gameplay to better suite the new scenarios.  I do have doubts if this DLC will receive the attention and sincerity from UO that it deserves (in my opinion).  Guess there is always some room for hope :)

I do very well remember some good gameplay with civilians, although it was quite some time ago.  With this new content, mission makers could make up new scenarios where the challenge is to indeed clear the town without violating the ROE (collateral damage can never really be totally avoided).  And whereas people might still end up leveling the town with mortars, it just shows poor skills and execution of the mission.  Just like failing to complete any other objective.  Won't prevent others from enjoying the hell out of it when playing it the right way though :)

Still think that it was a great decision to release this DLC.  I surely will enjoy it once its out, although maybe not so much around here.  (Maybe it will serve us all well to receive this DLC with an attitude other than "players at UO can't play nice with this anyway".)

Already had the chance to play through the SP campaign since it recently got officially released now.  Exactly what I hoped for.  Despite the content and aim of the DLC which I knew I would enjoy, the campaign nicely managed to get the feeling right and to keep me engaged in the story while not being too short on action.  Loved the love to detail they showed.

Totally worth it in my opinion and one of the few SP campaigns I truly enjoyed playing.  Not disappointed at all.

Interested to see how the playerbase will receive this and possibly incorporate this into the mission pool.  SP campaign already gives a lot of inspiration.