DrSlaughterRex

Noob thinking of buying TrackIR...

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start?

Whether it's an alternative or something like TrackIR 3, I'm new to the whole idea of the product. Aware of what it does, but as to what to get, I'm not very knowledgeable.

Feel free to provide links if you have it.

Track IR is really great

I have a Track IR 4 at the moment with the pro clip and it's working perfectly (having the 6DOF is really usefull in BMS for some switches like the air source)

there is some cheaper altenative but I can't help you much as I never used them

http://www.free-track.net/english/

https://www.trackhat.org/

Nebosja can help you on those alternatives as he's using one of them

If you are going TrackIR 5, would certainly recommend the trackclip pro as well, especially if you have a fairly bright room where your PC is. The default reflectors didn't work very well at all for me unless it was night time or the lights were off. The main improvement with the pro clip is that it is the source of the IR light, rather than the camera. Makes fidelity so much higher and responsive IMO. Only downside is that depending on which version you get, you might have to use 2 USB connections instead of one. Mine was lucky enough to come with an adapter that allows me to just use one.

TIR5 and TrackClipPro. Had it for 6 years now, I think. However: TrackClipPro is extremely fragile and mine is now 3 pieces help by tape and cable ties, but still superior to hat clip. If you feel so inclined,  you can modify it to use battery power, to get rid of the cable. Oh, and you're limited in terms of headset usage. It only fits on thin parts, so after getting new headset, I'm using more tape to attach it.

Main differences are:

• field of view (46 ° x 46 ° for track IR4 when the 5 have 52° x 52°)
  • sensor resolution (355 x 288 for track IR4 when the 5 have 640 x 480)

in this video from Natual Points (maker of the track IR)

You can see the resolution differences

here are some pictures :

5 is on the left 4 on the right

FIN02018.jpg

FIN02023.jpg

Edited by Foxy

So, what I'm hearing, the price tag for 5 would most definitely be worth.

In terms of work required to build one vs just paying, yes, but for quality of materials, no. But, I still bought it :smile:

Edited by Slider

In terms of work required to build one vs just paying, yes, but for quality of materials, no. But, I still bought it :smile:

I would totally be down for building one on my own, but I can't put aside time to invest in that, nor could I make the quality high enough to be worth the time.

The spoiled child in me is saying to spend the money on something that's proven to work instead of building something that MAY work. haha

I have Track IR 5, my track clip pro broke like 3 times, they replaced it for free all 3 times.

My only issue with Track IR is that some of the positions I look at, my device loses the IR and it goes crazy.

As an anecdotal devil's advocate, I'll mention that my first TIR5 unit burnt out over the course of about three years, and was not replaced by NaturalPoint. Still, bought another one. They just work great.

I'm not sure why you guys keep saying the track clip (for TIR5) breaks all the time, or is made out of lousy materials compared to the other ones. I've had mine for going on 4 years at least without any issues at all, no damage, no loss of function. Not sure if that's just my being careful with it when using it, or if the version I've got it somehow different than everyone elses, but I doubt it since I got it from the official website.

There was a manufacturing defect with the original Track Clips. Apparently, some defect in the plastic, combined with the coldness of shipping in an aircraft, caused them to prematurely snap. My understanding is that NaturalPoint has remedied the defect, so if you buy new, your clip should be durable. Mine is fine.

On mine, the one of 2 clips in the pivot point where the 3 LEDs rotate (not the one at the headset clip side) broke after applying light pressure of it leaning on something on my desk. And the whole thing bends and just feels much cheaper than what it costs. I'll replace it at some point in the future, I'm sure, but for time being, it's fine.

This is interesting.

Do you use the PS3 Eye Camera that they advertise with it or do you use a TrackIR camera? (Or what software)

I use it with the PS3 Eye, opentrack software. Way cheaper that way.

I Have the Track ir4.  Can you still have the hat clip with the Track IR5 as I do not always play with the headset?

You can freely change between the Pro Clip or the Hat Clip in TIR5. You just change the tracking device in your software:

KDXBwmb.png

Definitely get TrackIR5 with the proclip.

The proclip is a piece of trash (Very poor flimsy construction) but still better than the hat.

It will be worth every penny. 

Definitely get TrackIR5 with the proclip.

The proclip is a piece of trash (Very poor flimsy construction) but still better than the hat.

It will be worth every penny. 

Hopefully not a build quality as yours is in at this moment? :^)

Had the Hat version for a few years without issue but was looking at what options were if I have to replace anytime. Pro clip fine if using headphones but hat clip required for solo.