Whiplash

CO40 Boring Monday USMC

MttZiDx.jpg

Been working on an alternative seeder mission for a while and think now might be the time to share it. This mission is intended to present players an alternative to the other seeder missions found on UO that all share a common gameplay style. With this mission I tried to appeal to those who would rather have a more serious environment based off any other coop mission but which allows for great replayability, different objectives and where they can basically do whatever (following mission and server SOPs) while trying to seed the server.

I would like to use this thread to collect feedback to see how the mission concept turns out and how the playerbase received this mission. So if you happened to play it at some point, post comments, critics, pictures or feedback in here. Doesn't have to be of technical nature, you can also post a specific AAR from a specific playthrough.

So, what is this about?

The name is not intended to be ironic in any way. Expect this mission to move on slowly. It's intend is to attract players who like to do things by the book. Expect less shooting and more planning, preparing and communicating. It is basically a standard coop mission with the difference that you have a home base where you can always retreat to. You also got multiple objectives available that you can choose from. But nothing is stopping you from doing a foot patrol along some roads or the mountains.

Honest advice: If you enjoy the current default seeder "Coops" a lot, I advise not to load up this mission. You will probably get bored and when trying to do things fast in this mission, your experience will be very poor and not worth your time.

Missions

Objectives are custom made and exist from start on. Thus, there is no spawning of enemies and no suddenly appearing structures. All missions are randomized to some degree and thus gameplay experience can vary greatly. Missions are merely a suggestion to the players. You are basically free to do whatever you feel like doing as long as you follow the briefing guidelines.

Current available objectives:

• Retrieving a flight recorder
  • Clearing IED's around populated areas
  • Finding and destroying weapon caches
  • Terrorist Hunt
  • Supporting Local National Army
Some features:
  • Custom gear that fits each role nicely
  • Limited supplies available (no additional weaponry and other fluff)
  • Briefing areas with custom made textures for immersive in-game briefings
  • Custom ACRE channel names and preset radio channels for all units (no channel switching required upon spawning)
  • A selection of air and ground vehicles
  • Great flexibility for CO's to execute the objectives the way they want
  • Mission can also be played as a normal coop mission with 30-40 players
Regards,

Whiplash

The kind of mission that has been overdue for a long time.

I would love to see this mission played with 35-40 players at some point with command actually being in need to cope with logistics and priorities.

Thank you very much for providing this!

Edited by PaxJaromeMalues

Congrats on releasing the mission. Not getting as much play time as I want lately but really looking forward to playing it with you guys. Again well done!

Thanks for your effort lad. Below is a picture of Whiplash (from the game ARMA3). Apologies if his uniform is not fashionable enough.

exaeUoQ.jpg

Edited by Jimbo

exaeUoQ.jpg

Jimbo that soldier is wearing UCP. We gotta get on the Marpat W or D.

I learned something interesting from my younger brother who is a Marine. Unless your deployed to desert climate they don't wear the desert variant ever (or at least for his unit).

Sounds like a great idea. Since this is a seeder will there also be things for smaller groups to do, say 4-12 players?

Sounds like a great idea. Since this is a seeder will there also be things for smaller groups to do, say 4-12 players?

Intention was to make the objectives doable for a small group. So 4-12 players fits the scale I set most objectives to very well (pending the intended randomization which may makes it harder / easier). Playing this with 20+ people means it will get way easier and less enemies to shoot at per player. But yeah... a group of 2 could already start moving out and discover the map. Small groups could also just randomly patrol the map and see what happens. Quite a few things to discover there.

From a recent play through with 20+ players it appeared to not really appeal to the broader masses though. So whether this will be used as a seeder or not is yet to be seen. Might just be another mission collecting dust...

I spent 45 minutes searching a hillside for a non existent MANPAD team. This sums up my experience with the mission.

I understand the desire to create realistic missions, but speaking from a personal perspective I have limited enough time as it is, when I play on the server I want it to be worth my time. This mission had the effect of making me want to leave the server, the opposite of it's intended effect.

I genuinely don't mind having to wait anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get into contact, if that build-up is worth the wait, but this mission felt unfocused, and seemed to consist of a lot of aimless wandering with no payoff.

I like the concept and think a good seeder is well needed, but feel this needs some more work. Either the player count should be reduced (seeder missions in arma 2 were restricted to 20 players), or the amount of enemies needs to be increased.

Edited by Kingslayer

I spent 45 minutes searching a hillside for a non existent MANPAD team. 

They very much existed. Me and Lexi dodged two missiles, and entered a death dive trying to dodge the third.

They very much existed. Me and Lexi dodged two missiles, and entered a death dive trying to dodge the third.

^That. Every time I played the mission and we needed air, we had to remove the manpads basically 2nd after finishing some road clearing.

The MANPADS exist, it appears that it appears somewhere in the AO however. Perhaps that's a challenge in it's own.

However, set a respawner on the assests you have. As a seeder, if the first pilot messed up it shouldn't be a punishment for the second one.

Don't wanna comment too much for now and rather see few more playthroughs happening to gather more feedback. Just wanna state again, that the objectives are technically working, mentioned MANPAD was within the vicinity of the mentioned location. Just to avoid any confusion here. It is unknown to me why a 20+ group of players was unable to effectively scan the hillside within 45 minutes. Might be lack of a proper approach for this kind of objective (and yeah, you can of course just blame the mission maker for not simply placing a MANPAD on the hilltop to make it as easy as it could get... I can take the blame :) [no irony intended] ). Possible additional MANPADs may or may not be present as part of the randomization of the mission but as I consider these kind of weaponry a high value asset they will be very limited and most likely only present around very critical objective areas.

Just wanted to ask something myself about the recent game: When I joined I noticed the ACE rallypoint was moved from the northern location back to the main base. Had any player the option to move that rallypoint? If so, that would be a bug that may have slipped my testing and was not intended to be in the mission. Rallypoints should be static to provide a static bridge between the two main locations (to ease JIP transport for smaller groups playing the mission). If not, could anyone explain how said rallypoint could have been moved?

Just to repeat this quickly:

The mission is intended as a playground for people waiting for the server to fill. Anyone who expects a action loaded mission with constant enemy contacts will be highly disappointed. Unfortunately I share the opinion, that the game (especially in a community like UO) is more than just shooting. I myself, and possibly (hopefully) more people around here very much enjoy a game where the focus is on tactical planning and execution coupled with proper communication. Not firing a single bullet within 2 hours should not encourage anyone from playing this game. If this opinion is not shared among the playerbase than that might just be my personal pity. If that will be the reason why this mission might not be played a lot (or not at all), so be it. Would consider this mission to fill a niche that not everyone may feel like needs to be filled.

Thanks!

Maybe some additional manned/unmanned road blocks leading to some enemy high value targets would be cool. Maybe randomized so each time the mission loads the location changes? Or something like randomized patrols. That would force players to constantly keep their heads on the swivle when around (2 clicks?) of enemy objectives.

Just wanna state again, that the objectives are technically working, mentioned MANPAD was within the vicinity of the mentioned location. Just to avoid any confusion here. It is unknown to me why a 20+ group of players was unable

to effectively scan the hillside within 45 minutes. 

Considering my view distance was up high enough to scan the entirety of the valley and up across the other side of the wadi with thermals (and pick up people at max range on thermals several kilometers either side of said POI) and I saw nothing to the tune of MANPADS anywhere remotely near said hillside in the ~20 minutes me and Lexi were in a holding point south of Tottah, nor did the infantry when they picked over the whole hill, I'm leaning towards believing your definition of "in the vicinity of" is "somewhere on the map". If you're going to have a mission that's to be played realistically, the intel needs to be at least somewhat accurate. If it's somewhere but we don't know where, say that. If it's in a specific area, say that. That difference in intelligence changes the entire tempo of the operation. If the dudes are upping sticks and wandering off once the mission starts, address that.

I appreciate what you're doing and the attitude to which you're approaching it, but don't default to "oh you must just be shit" statements or put on le trollface and drink too much kool-aid, please.

Edited by JakCurse

Considering my view distance was up high enough to scan the entirety of the valley and up across the other side of the wadi with thermals (and pick up people at max range on thermals several kilometers either side of said POI) and I saw nothing to the tune of MANPADS anywhere remotely near said hillside in the ~20 minutes me and Lexi were in a holding point south of Tottah, nor did the infantry when they picked over the whole hill, I'm leaning towards believing your definition of "in the vicinity of" is "somewhere on the map". If you're going to have a mission that's to be played realistically, the intel needs to be at least somewhat accurate. If it's somewhere but we don't know where, say that. If it's in a specific area, say that. That difference in intelligence changes the entire tempo of the operation. If the dudes are upping sticks and wandering off once the mission starts, address that.

[...]

Mission spoiler:

I was unable to load the AAR replay of that specific mission, but below is a snippet of the mission that was run 5 min earlier on that day (picture 3) together with pictures recreated from the editor (mission was not altered). The AI's presence is guaranteed and static. Only reason AI may leave its rather relaxed posture is if it noticed enemies close by. So although it was still possible he got spooked, spooking him would have most likely be caused by way of executing the objective. If this does not fit the definition of "in the vicinity", then I will correct that. But in my book the intel was good enough. After all, searching for the MANPAD is the point for that specific objective. If I give you a ten digit grid to lock down its position there would not be any challenge left.

55zhVSd.jpg

KcBWHKH.jpg

kPjndgo.jpg

QJxLF32.jpg

[...]

I appreciate what you're doing and the attitude to which you're approaching it, but don't default to "oh you must just be shit" statements or put on le trollface and drink too much kool-aid, please.

I tried my best to formulate my replies in a neutral, unemotional and distant way as to not appear provoking or ironic. Nowhere did I mention, nor imply about anyone "be[ing] shit". Merely mentioned that with 20+ people and 45 min timeframe, there might have been a lack of planning and executing the objective. If this kind of criticism cannot be stated in an AAR, then I am sorry. My desire and enjoyment to create missions, that I (personally) would consider realistic, is a sincere desire and there is no intention to troll anyone.

I have seen the mission having being played a couple of times now and wanted to welcome players once again to share their opinion about the mission here. A short AAR with a bigger focus on the objective rather than the functionality of the mission is also appreciated. Some points I want to address:

• I have seen players still start their journey at the gear box. Do you feel the custom loadouts need adjustments? There should be no need for anyone to change gear upon spawning. If you feel like something essential is missing feel free to let me know. I know players might have a little more stuff on them then they might be used to, but this has already been taken into account and the ACE stamina is adjusted accordingly.
  • Some of you already approached me regarding the advanced flight model. I still need to look into that and see if there is indeed a bug regarding the RHS helicopters. Future updates might possibly temporarily remove the forced AFM. Just feel like this will lead to an increased use of airborne assets, however the mission is heavily focused on ground movement. Air assets should be seen as an addition that might only be available if some competent pilots are around.

If the overall mission setup is enjoyable and a good alternative to the other seeder missions than I might try to port this over to another map or to other factions (or both). But since this involves a lot of custom texturing I only intend to do so if the players enjoy this kind of seeder mission.

Hey Whiplash, I'll post my opinions & suggestions on the mission here;

• I like using AFM with keyboard and mouse, even with the bug it currently has with the Anti-Torque (ATRQ). Makes long-distance flying more enjoyable. So I'd say stick with it, but then people with joysticks, pads, and other equipment will have a hard time, aswell as new guys trying to fly with AFM with keyoard & mouse.
  • I've been checking out the different objectives you have on Boring Monday, and as the name of the mission suggest, it is "boring" for (Quite) a few guys because it doesnt have any real fire fights going on. Example; We did the "Find the C-130 Flight Recorder" and from what I heard from the air was that the ground squad didnt find any contacts near or around the C-130, except for the scout snipers who found a 50.cal further north. However, the infantries went in, looked for the flight recorder and later called in for a pickup. Not much happening for the poor guys. (Ofcourse you did state your honest advice about it may/will be more boring than CO-OPs, but maybe add a little bit more in, stated below)
  • Add 3-5 more objectives perhaps? Atleast some that would intrigue the more "action-loving" players in our community. Perhaps add in a script that spawns in perhaps a patrol here and there, maybe make them interact with the Iraqis which you have patroling, maybe even make it so that they attack the Iraqis, and the Iraqis request for aid and the players have a limited time to get there before they are wiped out, just a suggestion.
  • Now I like the mission, as its different from Insurgency (Well Duh..) and CO-OP, though I can certaintly see why some people do not like it as it's "boring" with "few to no action" but I would love to see this mission on a different map, like Chernarus (Only because of forest combat I can imagine in my head), or perhaps Zargabad, takistan, altis, etc. 

That is what I can gather right now (currently at work, can do better than this once I am home), hopefully it would give you some ideas to make the mission more approachable for people who earlier thinks its too boring.

Edited by HitTheMan

Hi

regarding the missions air assets: stage them via scripts. Lower player numbers only unlock small assets like little birds, then black hawks and in higher player numbers maybe an attack helicopter. Armed assets should only be mountable when a FAC is slotted. Pilot seats should be limited to pilot slots (if that is not already the case).

Maybe add more random IEDs and random patrols that will ambush blufor.

Put down some more AA assets just to piss off people ignoring air safety measures.

Just some mean ideas.

Whiplash,

I like your mission because it offers a virtual location for players to hang out instead of the waiting room. 

Being in game is a great place to loiter and discuss things.  Talk about what ever players talk about in any of the barracks channels.     Having one mission that is not filled with action is important as a seeder.  I would use this mission to gather people together to play ARMA.   If people connect and express that they want  more firefights then the admin can change the mission to something else.  Admins should keep their eye on the numbers of players in the waiting room.  It is great to have a seeder where everyone is gathered in the same place so we can communicate.   In other "seeders" players are running around  dieing, killing and respawning  but not communicating.   Your mission has created a great environment. 

Thanks for giving us somewhere to gather while we are deciding what to play.   If some of the lads want to venture out and look for some conflict ... that's just a bonus.

Please don't make this less boring.   It would distract players from gathering and deciding on what mission we want to play.

EDIT:  Perhaps add a range where we can practice with light weapons.  And a whiteboard that we can write on at the spawn point.

Edited by Jimbo

Also, if anyone has an idea for a teleport system that would suite the scenario well, feel free to share them. I am still looking for a way to possibly make it easier for respawning players to catch back up with friendly forces. Since vehicles are limited in numbers and won't respawn, grabbing a vehicle each time someone dies in the field to move back is no real option (although so far the only way). Pilots are of course an option, but with the AFM enabled players are less likely to have a skilled pilot in game to take on this duty (this is still intended due to the focus on ground movement and operations).

So... I was thinking about two different approaches:

1. Have a HQ/CP vehicle that can be deployed anywhere in the field. Deploying it would take around 1min and render the vehicle unusable. Once deployed, players could respawn to it just like in other seeder missions.
    Problem: This may lead to the players always having to bring this specific vehicle and preventing them from bringing a more offensive vehicle when low on numbers.
  2. Have a static teleport system in place between the different OPs. This way, players could always teleport to one of the OPs on the map which will bring them way closer to the objective and to friendly forces.
    Problem: This makes it obsolete for players to travel on road to the OPs and would be used as some kind of "fast travel" system. And players are still not back with friendlies and still need to cover quite some ground on foot.

These are the two options that so far seem like the only real alternatives to me. I basically want to make it easier for respawning players to catch back up with friendlies without making it too gamey and easy to travel around the map (or to force players indirectly to use specific assets because of it).

If anyone got a nice idea how this could be solved, feel free to let me know.

Cheers.

Maybe a system like a Project Reality/Squad Rally Point that the commander can spawn, cept it can only be deployed every 10 minutes/can't be deployed near enemy.

Edited by Reddish_Red

Could you have the OPs be teleportable to, but only if you joined in the last 5 minutes or something? Like your option 2, but if you are already spawned in and briefed then you can’t fast travel.

If people really wanted to game it, and leave the server than rejoin, this wouldn’t stop them, but at least it is a deterrent.

maybe make it so the OPs need to be "discovered" before they can be teleported to.

or have some sort of "forward camp" (ammo box) that can be deployed, could only have 2 or 3 of them in the mission, would have a small amount of weapons/ ammo/ equipment, would be able to teleport to one.

Teleportation?

Be careful or you will erode the very best of what you have created. There are other seeders that are designed for lots of action, killing, re-spawning, over and over. Endless firefights, dying and re-spawning.

It's great to have a unique environment that encourages communication. I've noticed that sometimes players complain about being bored, but when the action starts they are suddenly pumped and seem very serious. On other missions where the firefight is always a few minutes away, players get casual and really don't care if they die. Limiting the action, and cranking up the risk, increases the intensity.

Very nice; to have a choice for boring. There are other missions for action. It's easy enough to end "Boring Monday" and change the mission if players want to teleport.

Edited by Jimbo