Sign in to follow this  
Whiplash

[Vehicles] Manually Adding or Editing Sensors

Once again seeking help from people way more talented in scripting then I am.

Background

The sensor overhaul with the latest update was one of the more exciting ArmA3 updates to me.  I was always very interested in the combined arms gameplay and with the new sensors available in game and the data link feature this kind of gameplay became much more promising (in my opinion).  I was working for quite some time on a German ORBAT (way before the addon was removed from UO's modpack) and one big part of that ORBAT was a Joint Fire Support Team.  Although with the Fennek being part of the game, allowing to lase targets and providing a TI camera, there wasn't really anything else you could do.  Now, I am hoping to manually enhance the functionality by tempering with the new sensors provided by the 1.70 update and provide this vehicle with the possibility to detect enemy vehicles and share the data across different units.

My intention

I am trying to manually add a radar option to the vanilla ArmA3 "Strider" (aka Fennek) base class.  To do that, I am trying to implement the "Example Config - inheritance from template" from this page: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Sensors_config_reference

I was hoping, that implementing this code into my description.ext and adjusting the class names to fit the Strider class name ("I_MRAP_03_F") would let me do exactly this.  However, first tests in the editor were unsuccessful.

Is it possible to realize my intention the way I tried it?  If so, what do I have to do to make it work?  Is it even possible to change vehicle class configs by adding code snippets into the description.ext file?

What I tried so far

I tried to run the following code from my description.ext file:

class SensorTemplateActiveRadar;   
class SensorTemplateIR;

class cfgVehicles
{	
	class Car;
	class I_MRAP_03_F: Car
	{
		class Components;
	};	
	class My_I_MRAP_03_F: I_MRAP_03_F
	{
		class Components: Components
		{
			class SensorsManagerComponent
			{
				class Components
				{
					class ActiveRadarSensorComponent : SensorTemplateActiveRadar
					{
						class AirTarget
						{
							minRange = 500;
							maxRange = 6000;
							objectDistanceLimitCoef = -1;
							viewDistanceLimitCoef = -1;
						};
                                                class GroundTarget
                                                {
                                                        minRange = 500;
                                                        maxRange = 3000;
                                                        viewDistanceLimitCoef = -1;
                                                        objectDistanceLimitCoef = -1;
                                                };
						angleRangeHorizontal = 360;
						angleRangeVertical = 360;
                                                animDirection = "";
					};

class IRSensorComponent : SensorTemplateIR { };
				};
			};
		};
	};
};

(I did not care much about how realistic the values are in this example.  Just trying to get it to work for now, then I will start looking into the actual content of the values.)

Conclusion

It would be awesome if it were possible for mission makers to enhance the functionality of some vehicles.  The possibility to have a motorized recon team being able to track and report enemy positions to gunships without them having to expose themselves would be great.

Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and help me trying to get this to work.  Might hang around on TS for a bit the next days, so feel free to catch me there.

Cheers,

Whiplash

Edited by Whiplash

I wasn't aware we could edit CfgVehicles with a description.ext, I thought all CfgVehicle data was loaded through inheritance and requiredaddons on startup.

Have you come across any missions that successfully implement that?

I wasn't aware we could edit CfgVehicles with a description.ext, I thought all CfgVehicle data was loaded through inheritance and requiredaddons on startup.

Have you come across any missions that successfully implement that?

Nope.  And I still have no idea if this is at all possible or not.  But since I managed to temper with other classes (like CfgDebriefing, CfgUnitInsignia, etc.) in the description.ext, I thought this might work similar.

My bet is it either works somehow like this (just missing the correct code) or it doesn't work at all to change vehicles config data.