Whiplash

Availability of Training Server (SRV2)

My apologize if this has been announced in the past and I missed it.

I was wondering if the training server (SRV2) is up and running frequently or if it is only setup on request or for official trainings.  I remember back in ArmA2 the server was frequently available and one could just join to practice whatever.  There used to be this generic training mission where players could spawn themselves vehicles and equipment.  It was a great opportunity to meet up with a few people to practice anything from driving, flying, fire team operations to JTACing or RTOing.

Is this still a thing these days or is the server unavailable unless requested?  If not, than that's fine of course.  Was just wondering.

Especially with the new ArmA3 update and the sensors overhaul it could be nice to have a sandbox where people could play around a bit (i.e. mutual lasing and target acquiring).  Yes, the SP editor and VR arsenal are great, but cannot replace a dedicated server where more than one player could easily meet up to practice together.

Thanks!

Server two is turned off unless a class is being instructed or a delegate is present (IIRC). You need to talk to an instructor if you would like to have it turned on.

You can also host your own multiplayer session on your PC, if that suits your needs

Edited by CathFawr

Guess this is to save resources?  In that case, totally understandable but still a bummer.  Always appreciated a spontaneous training session with some people without first having to find someone who can turn on the server.

Self hosting is not really an option.  Besides the configuration required, you will end up with rather poor performance (at least in my case) and a different server configuration.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

It's not to save resources. You need to find an Instructor because SRV2 now has to be supervised when up and cannot be left unattended. Reason: previous instances of misuse.. or, to put it another way: and this is why we can't have nice things.