Graham1988

New Missions !

Ladies and gents, it seems like i'm entering a golden age of mission making, although i'm just starting out i'm getting loads of support from other mission makers, especially over discord. So first i would like to thank everybody who has chipped in so far. 

Since i have plenty of time to work on missions in the morning  and i can pump out 1 to 3 fully tested and functional missions i would like you guys to help me out on what kind of missions you would like to see. Small size missions, large, co, tvt ... 

This isn't because of a lack of ideas but i just want to see what you guys think is missing on the server or what kind of missions would like to play. 

I would like an Infantry patrol. US or Canadian. 80s or 90s. Not desert. CoOp. And a separate C0TvT. Buddy team to platoon minus. Variable AI placement for replayability. Objective few to no casualties, engagement optional, no time limit. Secondary objective damage enemy infastructure, destroy enemy assets, inflict enemy causualties. End condition manually triggered by CO or highest ranking player or admin. Possible to finish mission and fail objectives. JIP. Teleport to TL. Possible seeder.

Couple of small sized missions might be great. Especially infantry focused. I could also imagine some missions with nontraditional objectives; anything but the classical attack, raid, defend etc. Don't wanna spoil this with details, you might already have something similar in mind. I would love if the missions are not only about shooting and killing, but about some higher objective. And possible firefights are just a means to complete that objective. Try to keep it balanced as to not have too many enemies. Rather have a smaller enemy force well positioned or well implemented. Good mission design can in my opinion greatly improve gameplay. Design them in a way that people are not forced to go through one specific spot where they will definitely get in contact. Allow the players some room to maneuver and try to reward proper gameplay.

Proper enemy placement and randomization are good methods to make for a better mission.

Some small and relatively quick to acomplish (30-40 minute) COOPs would be nice.

Maybe something like an SF raid on a drug lab on Tanoa or a hostage rescue in some big structure. If you feel like randomizing enemy location, you could try a recon mission where you have to find the enemy main force (or an atrillery/AA unit), which can be in one of a few possible locations, with patrols in the area to keep it interesting. Bonus points if playing as Russians;p

The key to making a small COOP good IMO lies in randomizing as much as possible, so that each playthrough can be quite different, otherwise it may get boring after playing it a few times. Takes quite a while longer to make one though:)

one or two 4 slot missions would be nice. maybe something like sabotage?

Ok Pax i'll get to work on them right away ! what faction are you looking at ?? Co04 / 06 missions are rather easy to make. 

I would like an Infantry patrol. US or Canadian. 80s or 90s. Not desert. CoOp. And a separate C0TvT. Buddy team to platoon minus. Variable AI placement for replayability. Objective few to no casualties, engagement optional, no time limit. Secondary objective damage enemy infastructure, destroy enemy assets, inflict enemy causualties. End condition manually triggered by CO or highest ranking player or admin. Possible to finish mission and fail objectives. JIP. Teleport to TL. Possible seeder.

That sounds very insurgengy like. 80's or 90's  isn't hard to do just finding the right loadout. Making a Co & CoTVT wouldn't be hard just taking the same mission template and changing it slightly. i don't think i get the idea of the objective, guess i'll have to talk to you on TS to find out exactly what you mean. (Sorry mate my understanding of english is going down the drain).

Couple of small sized missions might be great. Especially infantry focused. I could also imagine some missions with nontraditional objectives; anything but the classical attack, raid, defend etc. Don't wanna spoil this with details, you might already have something similar in mind. I would love if the missions are not only about shooting and killing, but about some higher objective. And possible firefights are just a means to complete that objective. Try to keep it balanced as to not have too many enemies. Rather have a smaller enemy force well positioned or well implemented. Good mission design can in my opinion greatly improve gameplay. Design them in a way that people are not forced to go through one specific spot where they will definitely get in contact. Allow the players some room to maneuver and try to reward proper gameplay.

Proper enemy placement and randomization are good methods to make for a better mission.

Whiplash already got 1 small size mission on the map. CO15 on Altis. Tested and played once and it went smooth. Finished one today with no AO so plenty of maneuverability and it's another CO15. Maybe we can try them out this weekend. 

Some small and relatively quick to acomplish (30-40 minute) COOPs would be nice.

Maybe something like an SF raid on a drug lab on Tanoa or a hostage rescue in some big structure. If you feel like randomizing enemy location, you could try a recon mission where you have to find the enemy main force (or an atrillery/AA unit), which can be in one of a few possible locations, with patrols in the area to keep it interesting. Bonus points if playing as Russians;p

The key to making a small COOP good IMO lies in randomizing as much as possible, so that each playthrough can be quite different, otherwise it may get boring after playing it a few times. Takes quite a while longer to make one though:)

Delta we are definetly missing these smaller missions, but i don't want to make it too easy. 

Raid ideas sound good and i haven't made a mission on Tanoa yet so that might be a good starting point. If you could point me in the right direction of randomizing enemy location i would be very thankful because at the moment all i'm doing is when i see one of my missions is being overplayed i update it. 

As for randomizing stuff, I had a mission back in A2 where the enemy would have camps in semi-random positions in the woods. Basically what I did was place down all the camps in all possible locations manually, then I executed a script from the init.sqf which generated a few random numbers (on the server only, important to remember).

Say you want to have 3 sets of camps, one set has 3 possible locations, another 4 locations and another 2 locations. What I did was get something like floor(random(2)) to generate one of 3 values : 0, 1 or 2 for the first set of camps and I then checked that value after mission start to remove the other 2 camps I had in that first set. Then you do the same for the other 2 sets of camps.

With that done you have a mission with 3*4*2 combinations of camp locations. Of course you could try just placing the same set of objects and enemies in a random position, but that will give you objects inside trees and other crappy stuff like that. It'll take you quite a while longer to make a mission this way but once you get the scripting done it's just a matter of placing stuff 24 times instead of 1;p

As for randomizing stuff, I had a mission back in A2 where the enemy would have camps in semi-random positions in the woods. Basically what I did was place down all the camps in all possible locations manually, then I executed a script from the init.sqf which generated a few random numbers (on the server only, important to remember).

Say you want to have 3 sets of camps, one set has 3 possible locations, another 4 locations and another 2 locations. What I did was get something like floor(random(2)) to generate one of 3 values : 0, 1 or 2 for the first set of camps and I then checked that value after mission start to remove the other 2 camps I had in that first set. Then you do the same for the other 2 sets of camps.

With that done you have a mission with 3*4*2 combinations of camp locations. Of course you could try just placing the same set of objects and enemies in a random position, but that will give you objects inside trees and other crappy stuff like that. It'll take you quite a while longer to make a mission this way but once you get the scripting done it's just a matter of placing stuff 24 times instead of 1;p

There are many .sqm to .sqf converters out there. What you can do is create a camp in the editor, then convert it to a script, say "camp1.sqf" and do the same for each camp you want, then execute it on the server via random as you mentioned before. You can also use the DYNO module but that is buggy as hell.

You can also place units with probability of existing, and reference those with other units. No real scripting is even needed for that one.

Edited by TinfoilHate