The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
azzwort

Vangard Forward v2

• Mission 2- This is-- to put into words the enjoyment that I felt from a PL point of view for Ghost Platoon is almost impossible. I did my job, the section level people did their job, it was fan-fucking-tastic. This is by far one of the best experiences I've ever had at united operations. Max covered everything we did, so I just wanted to give my own hell yeah to back it up. Thank you to Lunchyyy, FlyingSpaghetti, and Ranger for keeping cool under pressure.

Being in Ghost Platoon with you in the lead has been my favorite experience with this community, it was seriously fun and everyone in the platoon contributed to making it a memorable experience 

Mission 1 - I was a grenadier in a US squad with no 203's. The raid on our first target went ok as there was not too much resistance. When we assaulted the next larger target, I believe I fell victim to Arma's grass rendering. I was on a hill that gradually sloped down to the OBJ, I went prone near a rock wall and as I tried to look down into the OBJ, my view was very obscured by the grass in my face, meanwhile the dudes in the OBJ looking up at me probably had no issue seeing my head, and bam, that's all she wrote for me. The amount of friendly fire from the helo's was absolutely absurd. PID, positive identification, if you cannot positively ID who you are shooting at, then don't shoot, it's that simple.

Mission 2 -  I was a tank driver for Max's Abrams. I could not use free look inside my tank so i was basically looking forward the whole time and pushing nothing but the forward, backward, left and right keys. Had an absolute blast. I love tactical driving and being aggressive when called for. Doing berm drills, shoot and scoot, hull down, aggressive driving in the country side and aggressive flanking and so on is a treat. I liked the plan of having to roll forward slowly in order for the scouts and tanks to hunt down and destroy the ATGM teams and ID enemy tanks, and then having 2 tank platoons conduct berm drills and shoot and scoot near a ridge line to engage enemy tanks, while another tank platoon flanks left aggressively and rolls up the static enemy occupying their positions. Awesome when done right.

At one point when I got the go ahead to put the pedal to the metal and be aggressive in order to flank the enemy and just go full speed through the country side,  I was asking for direction from Max because my view was limited and I was cruising at high speeds avoiding terrain obstacles, but got no answer, turns out Max somehow fell out of the tank and we had no idea lol, so we just kept attacking. QuiGon pulled off a beautiful shot on the move on a T-90 as we rolled past a hill and caught them on the slope. We then realized Max was no longer with us, radioed him for his loc, and went back and picked him up. From there we kept up the attack, took a shell that knocked out our turret, but at this point the battle was done, and we have won.

Mission 3 -  Not going to lie, I was very disappointed with how this was handled. To my knowledge both sides had technical difficulties which required the play to be paused. Opfor had issues with their ATGM's and Blufor had issues with their mortars. In a moment like that admin's need to decisively act and make it absolutely clear to the player base to stop everything and hold fire. Players need to honour and respect that for gameplay sake, and not move into position to get eyes on, or take the time to recce the enemy. It is also not the time for sarcasm and attitudes, and everyone who is not an Admin or voicing a problem specific to them as in  their equipment being bugged, needs to stay off the chat. The reasons why are clear, and the rule has been around for years, I don't know why this is still an issue. When the order to pause was giving, as a Bradley gunner I took my hand off my mouse and left my gun pointed to the ground, and waited.

Outside of that, I had some fun gunning the Brad for Blufor and shot me some people with HE. When in town it seemed like our Brad outpaced the inf after all other Brad's were destroyed, and we isolated ourselves to get a better view of the town. We got hit and hit hard by enemy BMP's. The commander was killed, the turret was damaged along with a track, and as the driver tried to get us to low ground and behind cover,well, the last thing I heard from him was "oh no!" and then the Brad rolled to a stop. I looked down to the left of my screen and saw that he was losing connection. I then sat there alone in the Brad and accepted my fate and what was to come next. My Brad then got bombarded with HE rounds as I sat there alone with my last thoughts. I was hoping they would just leave me alone thinking they got a crew kill, but nope, I went out in a ball of flame.

I would repeat what others have stated, for slotting have yourself a pool for non in game officers, no need to have every single player in a specific slot. The reasons have already been stated and seen on the event day.

All in all though, I had some good fun.

Edited by Militant

Although beeing a bit late as well, I will provide a quick AAR from my side:

Mission 1: I was the PLT medic for 2 (white) platoon under command of Max and his PSG JakCurse. As Jak already stated we ran around, set up some CCPs that weren't used even when they got requested before. We cleared our first objective, got picked up again by our Chinook and inserted again not far from the final objective. We moved in position on a small hill just outside the objective and waited for stuff to happen when we suddenly started the attack. When the attack started I set up a CCP under the tower of a power line, kept my head down and listened to the fight. At some point Max called me to move in as well (because he was injured and about to loose consciousness as I learned later). So I got up to leave my CCP and immediately saw a guy with a rocket launcher just next to my CCP. Because I had no idea how the assault went, I initially thought he had to be friendly (the lighting was too bad to notice his uniform and he had his back to me), but then he suddenly pulled out a rocket launcher and aimed for our gunship overhead. That made me realize he's not friendly at all, so I pulled my gun out and fired away Sadly a moment too late, because he manged to shoot down our gunship before he died. That made me think that the assault might not be going well, so I assumed a very careful posture instead of just running where I was ordered to. I crept forward, still around my CCP position, and tried to assess the situation. Suddenly another guy ran past me and in the twilight, worsened by the shadows that the burning helicopter wreckage was casting, I recognized his camo pattern as russian and shot him as well. By this time I managed to get about 10 meters forward from my CCP position and suddenly get shot dead in the back... It turned out an enemy moved into my CCP behind me...

Back in spectator mode I realize that Max is unconscious just outside the objective and the assault is still going on, but some of the bad guys managed to get between the assault force and my CCP. Although excited from the tense action around my CCP I was also disapointed that I could not bring Max back to live, because it's the greatest thing you can do as a medic and I had the right equippment with me to do that.

Mission 2: I was with Max again, him beeing the BLUEFOR company CO this time, while I was his tank gunner. Militant completed our crew beeing the driver. Just a few moments after we stepped off, we saw one of our tanks getting blown up by an enemy ATGM. Max was pretty angry about that, but it was to be supposed the only Abrams we saw getting wrecked. We traveled behind our leading elements, Militant and myself doing berm drills on every hold, while Max was busy on the radios. The final attack went exactly as depicted by Militant above.

Mission 3: This time I was on REDFOR beeing the driver of Blues BMP that caused so much havoc. Initially we went into a standby position on our far right flank at the coastline, behind a small hill together with our 2nd BMP. When BLUEFOR started their attack on the town we crept up from time to time to get some shots out, but also recieved a hit that caused some minor damage to our hull. We kept a low profile then and Blue and Sacher from the 2nd BMP tried to come up with a plan what to do next. We maneuvered a bit and I think Sachers BMP got destroyed at some point, so we returned to our previous hiding spot.  From there we managed to sneak up on two Abrams from behind, that just rolled past us and murdered both of them from a position just a couple of meters behind them. They never knew what hit them. It was a tense, but rewarding moment. From then on we could freely roam around the AO. From a position south of the town we could engage the enemy from behind, including Militants Bradley which we lit up. All in all we killed at least 14 enemies according to gametracker.

I had some great fun and really enjoyed the event as I had no clue there was such a drama behind the scenes. Yes, some of the briefings were indeed way over the point for our purposes, but I like that and really enjoyed them. They sure got me in the right mood for the event!

The only thing I disliked were people who signed up, got slotted and then didn't show up for the actual event. I generally have no problem with full preset roosters, but I guess it is not feasible if people don't show up as promised.

10/10 would do again

Edited by QuiGon

I would repeat what others have stated, for slotting have yourself a pool for non in game officers, no need to have every single player in a specific slot. The reasons have already been stated and seen on the event day.

Not pitched in, as I wasn't there, but wanted to pick up on this in a gentle way.

This "lesson learnt" seems to come out of lots of events we have hosted. Basically, trying to "overplan" things with detailed slotting, unit-specific training (i.e. not just tank gunnery/general infantry refreshers) etc when a proportion of people inevitably don't show up. Whilst the attraction of events is more organisation, we have to realistic about what is achievable in an open community (which is not to say it can't be a very high standard of game play). To paraphrase somewhat, a good plan executed well is better than a perfect plan falling apart because the "bus factor" has kicked in.

IMO, squad leader should generally be the absolute lowest level of slotted leadership and there should be a pool of people willing to step up/replace people in case of absence (i.e. if the PSG isn't there, there are SL volunteers to move up and the SL is replace from the reserve pool etc).

Not pitched in, as I wasn't there, but wanted to pick up on this in a gentle way.

This "lesson learnt" seems to come out of lots of events we have hosted. Basically, trying to "overplan" things with detailed slotting, unit-specific training (i.e. not just tank gunnery/general infantry refreshers) etc when a proportion of people inevitably don't show up. Whilst the attraction of events is more organisation, we have to realistic about what is achievable in an open community (which is not to say it can't be a very high standard of game play). To paraphrase somewhat, a good plan executed well is better than a perfect plan falling apart because the "bus factor" has kicked in.

IMO, squad leader should generally be the absolute lowest level of slotted leadership and there should be a pool of people willing to step up/replace people in case of absence (i.e. if the PSG isn't there, there are SL volunteers to move up and the SL is replace from the reserve pool etc).

This seems to be agreed upon from at least a few organizers. Despite Max encouraging TCs and SLs to look for people to be slotted in, I think that shouldn't be hard set. Asking your friends to join in is nice, but ultimately, anything under SL should be slotted on day of to balance the numbers, if needed. Special assets could be arguably preslotted, but as others, reserve pool is a good point you made.

This seems to be agreed upon from at least a few organizers. Despite Max encouraging TCs and SLs to look for people to be slotted in, I think that shouldn't be hard set. Asking your friends to join in is nice, but ultimately, anything under SL should be slotted on day of to balance the numbers, if needed. Special assets could be arguably preslotted, but as others, reserve pool is a good point you made.

I think we should consider slotting subdivisions of units rather than whole blocks.

That is, if people want to play with friends, have them as a fireteam. That fireteam can be shoved into whatever parent unit is necessary, since they're all the same.

Quite OT, but i'd rather differ.

The risk is that better, longer time players would band up in veteran units and creating as a consequence noobsquads, and also taking potential leaders away. 

we crept up from time to time to get some shots out, but also recieved a hit that caused some minor damage to our hull. We kept a low profile then and Blue and Sacher from the 2nd BMP tried to come up with a plan what to do next. 

If you were between two houses, you're lucky as fuck because my TOWs decided to plonk into the grond just in front of a BMP that I was firing at... Twice, so I started leathering it with AP rounds instead

Edited by JakCurse

Mission 2: I was Opfor scout commander and we got steam-rolled because I only had 6 people in my platoon. It was my marksman and I, Reddish and Cephei manning an ATGM west of the MSR, Achilles (God bless his Georgian soul) single handily manning an ATGM in the town and Walsh (Allahu Akbar) manning an ATGM on a hill east of the AO.  I set my marksman barrage by the huge wire placement to alert the scout “platoon” in case the blufor scouts are coming at us from the West.

The Blufor scouts were on PCP mixed with crystal meth. These motherfuckers weren’t playing ArmA, they were playing Battlefield. They didn’t give a shit and drove anywhere they could in the AO. When Blufor breached their objective. the humvees of the scout platoon were between the tank formations. It looked like when you’re running out of time in a combat mission game and you give your units a bunch of “FAST” “QUICK” FAST” “QUICK” orders.

Barrage died by the wire and when he got killed by the enemy scouts, I immediately told Reddish and Cephei to fallback because they had the entire enemy scout platoon to their West by a couple of hundred metres. Achilles placed his ATGM in the graveyard which was appropriate because the Mk 19 destroyed his body beyond recognition. Walsh was falling back from his ATGM spot because he ran out of ammo. He hopped in his GAZ and picked me up because I was on a hill and I wanted to get to another hill.

As Walsh and I were driving off, out of the blue one of the Blufor scout teams got on Walsh’s ATGM position and proceeded to light us up. I was surprised, “What the fuck?” I exclaimed. I then radioed in that Walsh and I were in contact: "be advised this Akat 0....” While my finger was still on the caps lock key and without ending my transmission with a good old-fashioned “over”, I looked over to Walsh sitting next to me driving our coffin and saw that he had died. I then yelled out while still on the radio, “OH SHIT!”. The GAZ stopped and I got out of the vehicle in an attempt to get in the driver seat because I couldn’t switch to the driver seat while still being in the GAZ. Thank you RHS. When I got out, I got shot by the Blufor team who then proceeded to sodomize my body for radios. Here is a visual demonstration of how Walsh and I died. 

At least Reddish and Cephei killed a tank.

God bless United Operations 

We had humped Barrages 148 at the start, we were able to maneuver with knowledge of your forces, dodge the mortars and tanks, and that's how we tracked you down too.

I dumped literally a full box of m2 into your GAZ,

Mission 2- This is-- to put into words the enjoyment that I felt from a PL point of view for Ghost Platoon is almost impossible. I did my job, the section level people did their job, it was fan-fucking-tastic. This is by far one of the best experiences I've ever had at united operations. Max covered everything we did, so I just wanted to give my own hell yeah to back it up. Thank you to Lunchyyy, FlyingSpaghetti, and Ranger for keeping cool under pressure.

Being in Ghost Platoon with you in the lead has been my favorite experience with this community, it was seriously fun and everyone in the platoon contributed to making it a memorable experience 

I dont think I said this in my original post but I just want to reaffirm this point. Pre event seeing myself slotted in a Humvee scout group I had this idea of just driving around the map causing chaos in a Tank TVT. And that's what we did, It was the highest speed I have ever achieved at UP. Some real Generation Kill shit rolling around in Humvees doing recon, engaging targets, getting deep behind the enemy. To the guys in my group specifically if you end up reading this sorry if it felt a little too chaotic and that we had lost control but at the end of the day I think we all got some decent shooting time and just the movement around a hostile AO filled with tanks in Humvees and living (surviving a direct hit to the side of our Humvee from a T90) was a big enough high itself, not to mention we took a tank/GAZ with us.

Slime I apologise for getting snappy when you shut me down killing the T90 with the Javelin, but all things considered definitely one of the best experiences I've had playing ARMA.  

The Blufor scouts were on PCP mixed with crystal meth. These motherfuckers weren’t playing ArmA, they were playing Battlefield. They didn’t give a shit and drove anywhere they could in the AO. When Blufor breached their objective. the humvees of the scout platoon were between the tank formations. It looked like when you’re running out of time in a combat mission game and you give your units a bunch of “FAST” “QUICK” FAST” “QUICK” orders.

I think that sums it up best.