The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
azzwort

Vangard Forward v2

I only played for ~40 min in mission 2, as Driver in a tank. I was there for 38, and went AFK (i was outside the tank, so I was not in the way) for the last 2, where the tank of cause came in contact. (just my luck).

@all, Please post your comments on the missions, the mission makers have put an insane amount of work into these missions, so actual feedback other than "it worked" would be amazing.

What did you like, what didn't you like?

Good job to everyone in involved in getting this up and running again after the first event.

My feelings on the event are mixed. There were some good moments and bad moments. I'll sum up by going through each mission then ending with some points concerning what could have been done better for next time.

MISSION 1
I was assigned as 112 squad leader for the first mission. This mission felt rather unfair for me as I was tasked with guarding a fuel depot with myself and two other people that made up my squad. This resulted in the enemy easily overwhelming us. Shortly before my demise I got a message out that a large enemy force was on and around the OP. I hope someone got that message. From there I observed the rest of the mission in spectator.

MISSION 2
Tank commander for Red 2. After we stepped off, we moved up a ridge to recon the area up ahead. I took an ATGM and was the sole survivor of my tank. Spent the rest of the mission sitting in Azzwort's tank eating cake to ease the pain.

MISSION 3
For this mission, I was an ATGM gunner (yes, that gunner). At the start of the mission there were many problems on OPFOR's side. Kornet teams did not have their launchers, ammo crates couldn't be interacted with properly, no mines in the town despite the briefing saying otherwise and a few others things. VPope went around fixing these issues as best as he could. While this was going on BLUFOR opened up with their mortor fire. I am unsure if it was at this point a global message was given stating the war was on hold or before. I got my launcher and carried it up the hill when I got a call about contacts to the south-west. I positioned the ATGM and scanned the area when I noticed a Bradley just before the crest. This confused me as I thought BLUFOR would remain in their starting location until OPFOR's issues were sorted out. The unnecessary chatter in global didn't help much either. I hopped on the ATGM and spotted another Bradley on the road with infantry in beside it. I called in a contact report and asked if I was free to fire. I was given the go to fire, so I fired. Shortly after that I was told not to fire but It was too late. This is when it kicked off. I died a little bit later after two failed attempts to destroy another Bradley. I apologise to the crew of the Bradley for unfairly destroying you. I hope you can understand my confusion as to what was happening.

SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME
A lot of people have said what I think but I wish to hammer one point home the most as this affected me dramatically for the first mission. Allow for flexible slotting! I felt that the pre-selecting of individual squad members for the event was unnecessary. My squad for the first mission was severely understrength because a  majority of players did not show up. If squad member roles were not assigned, it can allow for COs to even out the teams and not leave squads understrength as mine was.

IMAGES

G3tfyYw.jpg

jp2ytmP.jpg?1

Not sure what i can add to the topic, but ill write it anyways. 

I have been absent from UO and Arma for three months ballpark, a little before the crashes happened. I've been playing Arma for 8 years nonstop now and the crashes made my "arma fatigue" much much worse. I know I am a very bad at testing, because i cant stand things not working and not being able to do anything (i once tried beta testing a game: never ever more). This, joined with some incumbent unclear stuff i could have been called to do on event day, made me postpone my signing up till 10 minutes before Blue closed the rosters. 

So Blue was so kind to find me some spots, and i was so glad to see that missions #1 and #2 didnt crash.

Even though i always cared to keep the repo updated through A3S the repo name change from "UO primary yadda yadda" to "test" changed the modset name too, but I didnt realize until well into mission #1, so I couldnt see BAF items in my inventory that were needed for the mortar section. So, message to mission maker for mission #1: my fault, not yours. I thought that i could have been able to disconnect, reconnect and reslot to find myself to the same spot where i disconnected in the first place, so i disconnected to try and correct this issue, but i respawned back to base where a Blackhawk brought me where the mortars were supposed to be. Problem was LZ was white hot, no one from mortar team was there and the position had probably been overrun, so me (and huntersaurus i think) have been mowed down. 

On mission #2 i was driver on the leading Abrams for Red platoon. As a driver i had a very limited SA so i tried to do my best with what Dezel commanded me to do. Lots of compliments to him as he juggled commanding the tank leading our platoon and coordinating with high comand on three different nets: he did it splendidly. To mission maker #2 I would advise for the future stating clearly on mission notes how precisely ACE repair is set: there are several different settings that are all viable and knowing it beforehand is crucial for repair management.

I sat out for mission #3 cos it was so very late for me and i am an old man and i need rest. 

Again kudos kudos kudos for this event. It made me happy to see so many people taking part to the event. TBH seeing the server population steady on the low made me think that this event could have been the nail on the coffin for Arma in general as this game population in general is declining and the crashes had come in the worst moment possible, but rather than being pissed for the 40 people not showing i am grateful for the 90 actually showing up. Performance-wise both missions were much like normal weekend missions, probably the mixed effect of the x64 executable and crash debugging made miracles. I experienced a very few Acre packet losses, really negligible stuff compared not only to the last botched event but also to normal gaming nights.

Keep up with the good work everyone! 

Edited by Maffa

In case you're wondering after I finished up for the day in Montreal we hit up a bar at like 2am.  I'm really sorry I couldn't jump on the private UO airline and take a  flight back to my PC from the other side of the country.

Thanks to all the people who showed up, I wish I could've been there to enjoy the missions.

We put the missions into the review queue for quite some time, oddly enough M1, which saw the most scrutiny, still had issues. I'm told M3 had the wrong version on the server, this could be chalked up to my fault. Before I left, I told Blue to make sure to remove duplicate versions/excess turns out she removed the wrong one.

For the foreseeable future, I'd like to focus on our good ol' simple show up and play events.

Edited by HeadShot

http://imgur.com/ApykCBp

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/5O3sJ"><a href="//imgur.com/5O3sJ"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here is the feedback from those who filled out the event AAR survey. Thanks for the feedback. It will be very helpful going forward.

Compared to the results from the last time we ran this post-event survey, we made substantial progress towards increasing mission variety and some progress with pre-event planning.

We still have substantial work to be done on the slotting process however.

Edited by Max (Hammer 5)

...if you have missions on the server I would be more understanding of your positions, but as of now your criticism here is in my opinion unfounded.

As chance would have it, I do have missions on the server, and in that capacity I think missions 1 and 3 were fucking travesties of building/testing, and 2 worked well except for a few issues that may or may not have been add-on related.

I have deep thoughts on this whole thing but I'm at work and fucking hate typing novels on my phone, so later it is.

Edit: azzwort saved this shit, and while he's being a bit of a dick, he's also the reason it was able to be executed properly.

Edited by TinfoilHate

As chance would have it, I do have missions on the server, and in that capacity I think missions 1 and 3 were fucking travesties of building/testing, and 2 worked well except for a few issues that may or may not have been add-on related.

That's nice coming from you, who abandoned mission one in the first place and caused it to enter development hell so it could be bounced around a bunch of mission makers at the last minute leading to so many issues. And it was not just Azzwort who saved this event, but everyone involved behind the scenes who worked tirelessly the last few days before the event testing, fixing and preparing.  

That's nice coming from you, who abandoned mission one in the first place and caused it to enter development hell so it could be bounced around a bunch of mission makers at the last minute leading to so many issues. And it was not just Azzwort who saved this event, but everyone involved behind the scenes who worked tirelessly the last few days before the event testing, fixing and preparing.

I still feel responsible for mission one, yes. However, you can straight can the rest of that. The 'last minute' was three fucking months ago, if it can't be reworked in that time and you're still blaming me, that's goddamned absurd.

As for azzwort, I'm referring to the officer in charge from the PRO who is at least notionally supposed to be there.

The 'last minute' was three fucking months ago, if it can't be reworked in that time and you're still blaming me, that's goddamned absurd.

If you don't think mission one still did not have issues stemming from its convoluted development you must not have been paying attention. As Perfk so eloquently put it:

"You may want to know what happened between v2 and v6. Who knows, this mission have been more around than a prostitute."

With so many people working on it over time due to the lack of one dedicated mission maker, each making their own changes without consulting one another of course there would be issues. And while I agree that nearly three months later it should have been given a dedicated mission maker, it ultimately wasn't meaning that it was still plagued by these issues. I'm not saying you are solely to blame, but it is naive to assume that the abandonment of the mission "three fucking months ago" didn't have any bearing on the mission's performance during the event. 

Edited by Gkenny

If you don't think mission one still did not have issues stemming from its convoluted development you must not have been paying attention. As Perfk so eloquently put it:

"You may want to know what happened between v2 and v6. Who knows, this mission have been more around than a prostitute."

With so many people working on it over time due to the lack of one dedicated mission maker, each making their own changes without consulting one another of course there would be issues. And while I agree that nearly three months later it should have been given a dedicated mission maker, it ultimately wasn't meaning that it was still plagued by these issues. I'm not saying you are solely to blame, but it is naive to assume that the abandonment of the mission "three fucking months ago" didn't have any bearing on the mission's performance during the event.

It is true I was unable to work on the original mission at all due to work. What has happened since perfk picked up that blank slate has fuckall to do with me, and certainly is a big old strawman anyhow, as I hadn't even looked in the direction of mission three and that was a fucking mess.

Do be I feel bad about not even being able to start it? Yes. Am I responsible for or the current state? Fuck no.

You did good with your mission, but the other two were a fucking mess.

I have deep thoughts on this whole thing but I'm at work and fucking hate typing novels on my phone, so later it is.

Edit: azzwort saved this shit, and while he's being a bit of a dick, he's also the reason it was able to be executed properly.

Umm, Tinfoilhate, no one was blaming you, hell no one would care, as you were not part of the mission makers.

Gkenny was talking to Azzwort.

But I would love to read your "deep thoughts", or well, see you make a mission for +100 players. If this is not the forum, feel free to PM me. as I'm sure we are all here to build the best missions for the community, and not just flaming people who used a ton of time on this.

Umm, Tinfoilhate, no one was blaming you, hell no one would care, as you were not part of the mission makers.

Gkenny was talking to Azzwort.

But I would love to read your "deep thoughts", or well, see you make a mission for +100 players. If this is not the forum, feel free to PM me. as I'm sure we are all here to build the best missions for the community, and not just flaming people whom used a ton of time on this.

Thoughts more on the event in general than anything.

Gkenny literally blamed me in part above, and my initial response was in relation to him more or less saying that you can't criticize if you don't create, which is bullshit.

Edited by TinfoilHate

Gkenny literally blamed me in part above, and my initial response was in relation to him more or less saying that you can't criticize if you don't create, which is bullshit.

Please show me where I said you can't criticize if you don't create. I was just pointing out that your abandonment of mission one still had a effects on it that were felt on event day, even when it should not have. 

Edit: Yep, you know what I did. And I stand by it. If Azzwort wants to say that the mission CO's ended up putting more work into their missions than what it took to actually create them without any sort of evidence or proof, then I am allowed to say that that claim is completely unfounded.  Even you should realize that that claim is blatantly false, being a mission maker yourself. 

Edited by Gkenny

Please show me where I said you can't criticize if you don't create. I was just pointing out that your abandonment of mission one still had a effects on it that were felt on event day, even when it should not have.

...if you have missions on the server I would be more understanding of your positions, but as of now your criticism here is in my opinion unfounded.

That section has nothing to do with you, it even starts with 

"Azzwort, I feel this..."

I guess it's fair that you feel that you feel that it was about you, but I would assume that it was intended at Azzwort.

But yeah, I guess its too late, we have already derailed the thread, so how about we stop it here, and continue discussing the event.

That section has nothing to do with you

He dismissed the entire criticism based on that. That's what I was responding to. you are correct though, and I will stop until I have a more comprehensive event focused post ready.

Alright, I think it's time I clarify some things about what actually happened with mission 3 as I caused significant confusion myself and I am also seeing a number of misunderstandings as to what went wrong. Just to clarify, my claim that it was not the correct version on the server was NOT correct. It was the correct version and I will detail why I thought it was the wrong version later in this post.

So first I am going to start with what happened in the interim between OP Vanguard V1 and OP Vanguard V2. Unlike missions 1 and 2, mission 3 was not played at all during OP Vanguard V1 because player numbers tanked after the first two missions. Therefore, I didn't touch the mission again until Blue asked me to look at it just over a week before the event because, as far as I was concerned, it was fine. I asked if anyone had messed with the mission since I had left it, and he told me that Headshot had gone through and done some optimizations recently. I was immediately filled with dread upon learning this because I have a mantra that I adhere to in making my missions, DO NOT let anyone else touch them. If someone else messes something up with my mission it is highly unlikely that I will catch it as I would have no reason to think there would be an issue in an area if I had tested it myself  prior to it being changed and believed it was working. So, when I was given the mission back, I immediately saw one glaring issue with it, there were a ton of gear overflow errors. These errors were not something I hadn't dealt with before, as they were caused by an RHS update a while ago that changed the amount of space their magazines take up in the player's inventory. I spent several hours fixing this issue and then went to make sure that the gear scripts for the various crates were working also. To my astonishment, the crates were completely inaccessible! Upon further investigation, I found that every single prop except for vehicles had been set to be a simple object and had simulation disabled. To give one an idea of the effect this has, it makes the razor wire barriers become indestructible with tanks being unable to run over them and ACE wire cutters no longer work on them. It makes mines, machine guns, and most importantly, crates, become completely useless cosmetic props. It turns out that these were the changes that Headshot had made. Headshot did this with the intention of helping server performance, but he was not aware of the effects that setting an object to simple and disabling simulation has otherwise. Getting back to the mission making process, I went through and took a rather long time making sure that every object was no longer simple and reenabled simulation. I then played the mission in the editor and I was able to access the crates without issue. However, I did not attempt to take anything out of the crates. This was my folly.

On the day of the event, one last test was organized. The main issue with my mission was that there were not enough 117 radios distributed to compensate for the new ACRE bug. There was also a small issue with the Kornets not wanting to stay upright in the buildings I had placed them in, but that was quickly fixed after Blackhawk gave me a script that would bind them to a game logic and keep them from falling over. After that, the mission was uploaded to the primary.

Now, on to why I thought the wrong version was on the server. I was mistaken in saying that it was not the right version and I apologize for that. I jumped to conclusions much too quickly and should have kept my convictions to myself instead of broadcasting them on global chat and then repeating them in specator later. This was reckless and shortsighted and has caused a great deal of undue animosity to be directed towards the event organizers. Now, there were three reasons I thought it was the incorrect version. The first reason was because I heard vehicles cooking off. Prior to the event, I had disabled ACE cookoff for all vehicles in order to help server performance. However, I was not aware that RHS had its own different cookoff that is very similar to ACE cookoff, just without the columns of fire coming out of the tops of the tanks before they explode. So, because I heard cookoff, I was led to believe we were playing the wrong version as I believed it to be ACE cookoff and knew I had disabled it. Second, when I heard that crates in spawn were unusable, I immediately concluded that they were set to be simple objects and that meant the version of the mission we were playing was the old version that Headshot had made changes to. In actuality, simulation was disabled on the crates meaning that, while you were able to open the crate, you could not take anything out of it. Third, when I opened the map to see what the name of the mission was, it said that it was "V3" of the mission. The ".7" part of the name was cut off from the name that was at the top of the map. There were a number of administrative issues with the event, but uploading the wrong version of mission 3 to the server was not one of them.

Now, on to the issues that happened in the mission and why they happened. To clarify, the only problem that was my fault with the mission was simulation being disabled on the crates, and even that isn't entirely my fault because if the mission had never been touched by outside hands then simulation never would have been disabled in the first place. So, the issues with the mission were as follows: the ammo crates in the spawn were unusable, the Kornet ATGMs were missing, the mortar humvee disappeared, and the mines supposedly didn't work. I've already elaborated on what happened with the crates, so I won't bother with that again. As for the Kornets not being there, that was either an issue with the server or an RHS bug. After the mission, I immediately downloaded the mission off of the primary and put it on the test server to see what went wrong. When I loaded it on the test server the Kornets were both there just as they should have been. I'm not sure why they were missing during the event, but it was no fault of mine. It was a similar situation with the mortar humvee disappearing. I slotted as mortar crew on the test server, drove the humvee up the mountain, and sat next to it alt-tabbed for 30 minutes to see if it would disappear. It never did. The humvee disappearing was not my fault and I believe the same bug that stole the Kornets is to blame for the humvee suddenly deciding that it's people needed it. Lastly, the mines worked. They were preplaced inside the town and in a minefield a good ways outside of the town. The medical M113 had its track blown off by a mine after it drove into the minefield outside of town. As for why nobody died to the mines in town, I severely limited the number of mines that I let Weapon X place in town, so there was at most ten and it was mixed between anti-vehicle and anti-infantry. Since only one squad was intact by the time our forces reached the town, it isn't surprising they never stepped on an AP mine. I don't know if any Bradleys got far enough into town to hit a mine, but if they did and didn't hit a mine then it's highly likely they didn't run their track over it so it never went off.

That's all. Sorry that I didn't re-enable simulation on the crates and sorry that I claimed it was the wrong version on the server.

I would love to hear why you think so badly of my mission, as I've been told by plenty of people that it was fun despite all of the issues, one of which I was partially responsible for.

In any case, without the help of Blue, Vpope, Impulse, SgtDeadly, & GKenny and countless others I couldn't have had the event. The amount of work they put in along with Max is what made me want to make this event happen. The Vanguard events were really a labor of love.

Mission 3 concerned, yeah I fucked that up, I hadn't realized there were crates & when I set the objects to simple objects I got them too.

I'm not the best at running events and the complicated nature of this one really put things to the test. In the end, it sounds like a majority of people who showed up had fun.

I'm not interested in running another, and like I said before, simple & fun stuff for now. 

We did a briefing in the way that is normally done at UO, the previous two missions started when the team commanders were ready to start, and were not allowed to leave the starting area until after that based on that. With mission three, we did the same thing, only we started from the briefing screen. None of the missions had a set-up timer, they started when the go was given, no sooner or later. In mission three, the go was given when I asked both Redfor and Blufor commanders if they were ready before I went into the mission from the briefing screen. Just because some idiot expected BLUFOR to pause the war because REDFOR wasn't ready to attack them yet is not my concern, from an administrative perspective I have no sympathy for commanders who don't treat "go" as "go".

My only point would be that the second confusion arose, the admin (you or VPope) should have immediately jumped in to clarify. Your eventual response over global chat was something along the lines of "I think it's paused because someone said something about it being paused," which just added to the confusion. We were also requesting an admin to fix a bug that broke Blufor mortars and nobody answered. If you are going to be an admin for an event, regardless of whether or not it's something that you wanted to do or that was dumped on you, your first responsibility is to ensure that gameplay runs smoothly, even if you need to temporarily abandon whatever responsibilities you have from your assigned role.

This is, however, a minor point for improving things in the future and not meant to be an attack against you. My suggestion for the future is to coordinate responsibility for any GM issues once the missions start better and if an issue does arise, immediately take control over the situation and communicate to the players what is going on. Overall the event was a success IMO despite the occasional hiccup.

Summary: Event good, technical issues aside.

Mission Detail:

Mission 1: For as much as the mission was passed around, we ended up with a playable mission that turned out relatively okay. BLUFOR was missing M203s for grenadiers, there were some mortar issues I believe, the status of the objectives were unclear other than a little bit of fire, and either the mission scripting or the helicopters themselves were contributing to a bit poorer performance than the other two missions. The final ratios as played seemed a bit skewed from the general slot counts, likely due to absentees. For my part, I was part of 1st Platoon, we gagglefucked around the church on the hill for a bit before mortars landed vaguely nearby, then I got shot by a guy with a night vision scope after mistaking a squad and a half for a team in the dark. I then spent the rest of the time watching the dance of death around the power pylon, which was worth the price of admission alone.

Mission 1 Summary: Russia definitely owns the night.

Mission 2: Seemed to work as advertised. Few issues other than an oddball one with my platoon leader's tank not functioning at all. I proceeded to bumblefuck my way through the leadership that was thrust onto me, guided the driver through the obstacle course of southeast Altis and Velocity shot the fucking shit out of a bunch of T-90s because he's a boss or something. A+

Mission 2 Summary: Go Vanguards.

Mission 3: Deadly explained a lot above, actually. I was going under the information I'd been given, which was wrong, so apologies there. As for me, I spawned, waved my RPG around the town a lot, hit a casualty/aidman with a Frag rocket, and then cleared a room by firing an RPG point-blank through a window.

Mission 3 Summary: Fuck war crimes.

As for the stuff above:

But I would love to read your "deep thoughts",

Deep thoughts was sarcasm as I have no such things, but...

or well, see you make a mission for +100 players.

...is right up there with...

...as a stupid fucking response to criticism. Yes, it's opinion, but this is an opinion thread in large part. Doesn't make that specific opinion any less fucking idiotic. You do not need to do in order to make criticism, and I cannot read either of those any other way. If you can, please inform me elsewhere as to how that's not the intent.

That said:

Edit: Yep, you know what I did. And I stand by it. If Azzwort wants to say that the mission CO's ended up putting more work into their missions than what it took to actually create them without any sort of evidence or proof, then I am allowed to say that that claim is completely unfounded.  Even you should realize that that claim is blatantly false, being a mission maker yourself.

Yeah, azzwort says some dumb shit sometimes. Accusing him of never making missions is equally so, as he's made some at various points that I've been playing here. Nothing grandiose that I know of, but he has done more than one or two...and that makes his criticism equally as valid as before you knew that, unfortunately.

Anyhow, clearly the mission makers sank a bunch of time and effort into the event, and for that you should all be lauded. All things considered, and aside from Officer slapfights which will probably echo in these halls for eternity, it came out rather nicely. My only remarks would be that, holy fucking shit, more testing and development time needs to go into event missions. Events are costly from a man-hours perspective, but finishing shit the day of the event is still unacceptable, and only by the grace of the people who buckled down and fixed shit up, it was able to happen at all. That goes for azzwort, Blue, Gkenny, Deadly, whoever was molesting the first mission, and everyone else involved.

Good fuckin' job.

Edit:

I would love to hear why you think so badly of my mission, as I've been told by plenty of people that it was fun despite all of the issues, one of which I was partially responsible for.

Your mission was fun despite all the issues. Edited by TinfoilHate

Mission Detail:

Mission 1: [...] there were some mortar issues I believe

Quick note: i believe i was the only one with issues with mortars, and the fault was totally mine due to an incorrect setting of A3S.

, and then cleared a room by firing an RPG point-blank through a window.

Did you do that at the very end? I was wondering why the building I ran out of spontaniously exploded just as I got out of the door before I proceeded to get shot by filthy russians.

still went out like a man by taking a bunch of you with me

Ah, I see I'm a bit late. Given that VF was a few days ago, I've had some time to mull over my thoughts. Here's a... well, let's just call it a breakdown. Regards to Tinfoil for his style of AAR.

• Mission 1I was stuck in traffic and couldn't get home in time. My B. Thank you J. Clark for filling in, god bless you-- you're a beautiful Brit.

• Mission 2- This is-- to put into words the enjoyment that I felt from a PL point of view for Ghost Platoon is almost impossible. I did my job, the section level people did their job, it was fan-fucking-tastic. This is by far one of the best experiences I've ever had at united operations. Max covered everything we did, so I just wanted to give my own hell yeah to back it up. Thank you to Lunchyyy, FlyingSpaghetti, and Ranger for keeping cool under pressure.

• Mission 3- Things about this have been discussed at length. I'm not going to cause a big stir by throwing shit like the internet monkey I am, there was a fuckup and it happened. Some people seem to forget that. I was the element that got hit first, I was the platoon leader of the ATGMs. Our tasking was basically to take out as much shit as possible then Die In Place. Magical god-creator and internet wizard VPope was attempting to help us with the whole lack of ATGM in ATGM section thing. We got hit by a mortar. Firstly, good fucking shot. More though, I had never been notified about the start game change that had occured, as I had to step away while it was gone. Bygones are bygones though, it happened, some other stuff happened, VPope let those affected by the confusion reslot and I honestly think I had more fun being Joe Blow machinegunner than I would've D.I.P. ATGM team. 

I'd like to thank Max, Headshot (I guess, he kinda helped), Azzwort (I don't care if you're a "dick", doing your job can be hard), and generally any of the people that I had the extreme pleasure of talking to via this event.

Edited by Soviet_Slime

• Thank you to Lunchyyy, FlyingSpaghetti, and Ranger for keeping cool under pressure*.

*Read: White troop MPAT shells and .50BMG

soz bae

User received a warning point for this post.

Edited by kalohepirate
3.4 - Zero Content, Uninformative, Unhelpful, and Off Topic posting.