Sign in to follow this  
azzwort

Vangard Forward v2

I have some Opinions, but because it's late and everyone who has heard me talking about it is sick of it, I will post those opinions later in this thread. Post videos and stories here, or as I prefer to say...

POST EM.

First mission COY CO Senior Medic (BluFor):

Used as CSAR element with wade and even got to go do some thing in the end.

Second mission COY CO Senior Medic (OpFor):

Been told that I am not part of the plan. (Which is understandable in a vehicle battle)

Thrid mission COY CO Senior Medic (BluFor):

Been told to stick to the rear of a platoon.

As far as I could observe in mission 1 and 3 the overall use of fire & movement was mediocre at best.

Thanks for the effort to plan this event.

1st mission: BJ3 pilot - got the assigned gunner and took off with BJ4 to do our plan. We did it little faster than anticipated, so main element didn't have to wait. Once boots were on the ground, we just answered calls for CAS.

Only improve I see here: while having 1 person on the ground talk to us, setting separate CAS-call net so ground elements can hop on and call it in would reduce FF and delays.

2nd mission: Radon 142 commander - no driver for first little while, but Perfk jumped in. Sat for over an hour while recon was engaged and right as Perfk goes AFK, US armor rolls in. We tried our best, Xceno ran the AP ammo dry, fired several ATGMs and scored hits. Then we got disabled                           and I ran to Radon 143's tank to drive. There we had 3-4 Abrams' on our 12 and we engaged as much as possible until they ammo-racked us.

51cb5e210f8471839b33a306445064d2.gif

3rd mission: BLUFOR mortar section lead - plan was solid and we moved to our position and started executing, eliminating an ATGM section, but that appears to have triggered the confusion about GO-NOGO status and chaos ensued. I am disappointed admin didn't restart the mission, but                          ultimately, it didn't matter as it was wrong version and many things were broken, including vanishing act of our Humvee full of ammo.

a70c16995ffa940b75a96bcf9576ef8f.gif

Edited by Slider

Mission 1: PSG for Blufor White platoon, created CCPs that weren't used and chaperoned our pl medic around. Provided rear security for final assault on South objective, got murderated after some russians turned up in a gaz right behind us.
Mission 2: White platoon PSG/Tank commander, caused a blue on blue (friendly scouts were taking cover on the enemy side of a wall, away from the rest of their squad, looking at us with binos.), driver DCd, new driver had the dumb and my gunner couldn't see, died attempting a berm drill because "Driver Reverse" is a hard command, apparently.
Mission 3: Bradley gunner, called out the OPFOR BMP flank long before it happened, maneuvered to fight them, got a 1 for 1 while the rest of the bradley/Abrams callsigns died with no impact.

all in all a great event despite my shitty experience and the mission 3 foul-ups. Also my Shadowplay decided it didn't want to record audio.

Edited by JakCurse

What was wrong with the T-90 FCS in the second mission? If you made any slight bump or adjustment to your mouse, the cannon would orient side to side for a second. Made me miss 4-5 shots.

What was wrong with the T-90 FCS in the second mission? If you made any slight bump or adjustment to your mouse, the cannon would orient side to side for a second. Made me miss 4-5 shots.

The FCS in RHS vehicles in general seems to be fucky, but a big part of the issue is that the leading system seems to fuck things even further (namely by leading even on  stationary vehicle). Turning it off in RHS options helps a bit, but even then you end up having to making guesswork for your first shot and then adjusting your next shots from that. Definitely didn't help things that the way arma renders terrain at distance resulted in us lazing and shooting at an invisible hill half the time US tanks were coming up on us and that the Abrams tanks can apparently soak 30 Sabot before getting disabled.

Also, I somehow managed to end up watching literally my whole element get slaughtered around me at the end of every mission. Despite some orgnizational hiccups, there were plenty fun moments I got to go through there.

As a note for future though, planning events for lower numbers might be the way to go-- we seemed to have a lot of issues getting elements properly filled through the event as a result of only 80~ people being present out of the 113 there were slots for.

Mission 1: I was SPECIAL FORCES SERGEANT SOVIETPOLARBEAR, REPORTING FOR DUTY SIR. MY TASK WAS TO INFILITRATE BEHIND ENEMY LINES AND OBSERVE NAI 1 AND LATER ACT AS A BLOCKING FORCE TO STOP ANY ENEMIES GOING INTO OBJ SHARK. ONCE THE COMPANY ASSAULTED SHARK, I WAS TO ASSAULT OBJ WESSEL WITH MY WELL-TRAINED MEN.

I moved to a position somewhere west of the SF blocking position because the terrain I was assigned to was in the low ground making it hard to observe NAI 1. I was missing all the people that were assigned to my SF except for barrage and spitfire, but I did get Jota. The SF was able to spot an enemy squad up on a hill and we tried to call in mortars on them but the Blufor mortar team repositioned themselves so the fire mission ended. On the radio, it sounded like hell on earth for the infantry so I was surprised to see Blufor win the mission. After SF spotted the enemies on the hill, my team got into a blocking position when Blufor was assaulting OBJ SHARK and we got ready to assault OBJ WESSEL. However, because I did not hear anything back from command I didn’t assault OBJ WESSEL. We came, we watched, we wesseled.

Mission 2: I was Opfor scout commander and we got steam-rolled because I only had 6 people in my platoon. It was my marksman and I, Reddish and Cephei manning an ATGM west of the MSR, Achilles (God bless his Georgian soul) single handily manning an ATGM in the town and Walsh (Allahu Akbar) manning an ATGM on a hill east of the AO.  I set my marksman barrage by the huge wire placement to alert the scout “platoon” in case the blufor scouts are coming at us from the West.

The Blufor scouts were on PCP mixed with crystal meth. These motherfuckers weren’t playing ArmA, they were playing Battlefield. They didn’t give a shit and drove anywhere they could in the AO. When Blufor breached their objective. the humvees of the scout platoon were between the tank formations. It looked like when you’re running out of time in a combat mission game and you give your units a bunch of “FAST” “QUICK” FAST” “QUICK” orders.

Barrage died by the wire and when he got killed by the enemy scouts, I immediately told Reddish and Cephei to fallback because they had the entire enemy scout platoon to their West by a couple of hundred metres. Achilles placed his ATGM in the graveyard which was appropriate because the Mk 19 destroyed his body beyond recognition. Walsh was falling back from his ATGM spot because he ran out of ammo. He hopped in his GAZ and picked me up because I was on a hill and I wanted to get to another hill.

As Walsh and I were driving off, out of the blue one of the Blufor scout teams got on Walsh’s ATGM position and proceeded to light us up. I was surprised, “What the fuck?” I exclaimed. I then radioed in that Walsh and I were in contact: "be advised this Akat 0....” While my finger was still on the caps lock key and without ending my transmission with a good old-fashioned “over”, I looked over to Walsh sitting next to me driving our coffin and saw that he had died. I then yelled out while still on the radio, “OH SHIT!”. The GAZ stopped and I got out of the vehicle in an attempt to get in the driver seat because I couldn’t switch to the driver seat while still being in the GAZ. Thank you RHS. When I got out, I got shot by the Blufor team who then proceeded to sodomize my body for radios. Here is a visual demonstration of how Walsh and I died. 

At least Reddish and Cephei killed a tank.

Mission 3: I was a medic for the dismounts. 

God bless United Operations 

Edited by sovietpolarbear

Mission 1 - Opfor Commander:

- Everyone did exceptionally well, best possible outcome that I could have planned.

- Everybody pulled their weight and carried out their role without needing to be helped.

- When leaders died, squad members took over without being prompted.

- Excellent communication, coordination, and initiative throughout.

- Dezel + all squad leaders are MVP.

Mission 2 - Opfor Tank Platoon (2) Leader:

- Incredibly understaffed, five man platoon to crew three tanks.

- Suppressed enemy recon in our zone.

- Engaged friendly recon elements after higher stated no friendly elements in that area (failure of recon to report in).

- Final engagement was very short, American armor is #1 Russian armor crumbles under the weight of freedom's sabot rounds.

- Kept asking for the other tank platoon to support, they were kept in reserve apparently to prevent them from dying...but they just died afterwards. Would have been helpful to have more guns in the fight rather than picemeal our forces.

Mission 3 - Blufor Fires Officer:

- Engaged and destroyed fireteam-size element occupying ATGM position with indirect fire.

- Slider did an excellent job with the mortar and I was able to call FFE after only one round in adjust.

- Apparently the mission hadn't started even though nobody told us it hadn't.

- Mortar got bugged and we lost all ammo.

Overall Event Notes:

- No major issues with actual missions (although apparently last mission was the wrong version), all were playable and well designed.

- Missions seemed to be unbalanced to varying degrees in favor of Blufor (especially the first mission).

- In the future, I would suggest only having a roster for leadership roles. Otherwise when people don't show up teams are unbalanced and forces are weirdly composed. No reason to preslot riflemen, etc.

- Needed better preparation regarding admin roles and event leadership. Everything seemed very last minute, especially when deciding which regulars are responsible for which tasks.

- Mission 3 was a giant clusterfuck, mainly because we were unsure what admin was in charge. The admin needs to be more decisive and communicate to the server what is going on. "I think the mission is paused cause someone said so" is not something an admin should say. We were requesting a GM to fix a bug that made the mortars unusable for over 15 minutes and nobody came. We can talk about individual people who made mistakes but in the end the responsibility is on the admins to ensure gameplay runs smoothly and they failed massively.

- Other than that, had a lot of fun (besides last mission).

Notes are here to be helpful and constructive, please don't get mad at me for giving feedback, I know that I have hindsight.  :smile:

Edited by Albatross

The FCS in RHS vehicles in general seems to be fucky, but a big part of the issue is that the leading system seems to fuck things even further (namely by leading even on  stationary vehicle). Turning it off in RHS options helps a bit, but even then you end up having to making guesswork for your first shot and then adjusting your next shots from that. Definitely didn't help things that the way arma renders terrain at distance resulted in us lazing and shooting at an invisible hill half the time US tanks were coming up on us and that the Abrams tanks can apparently soak 30 Sabot before getting disabled.

Also, I somehow managed to end up watching literally my whole element get slaughtered around me at the end of every mission. Despite some orgnizational hiccups, there were plenty fun moments I got to go through there.

As a note for future though, planning events for lower numbers might be the way to go-- we seemed to have a lot of issues getting elements properly filled through the event as a result of only 80~ people being present out of the 113 there were slots for.

It isn't a thing of Abrams being able to "soak 30 Sabot" as much as their armor is impervious to it. I was referring to charts I had during the mission which detailed these spots. One of the easiest places to get a shot in is directly beneath or around the gun. If a Sabot hits there, or if it hits the top of the bottom half while you have elevation on the tank, it will go through and blow it up. I managed to kill one Abrams during the exchange, but due to the automatic RHS lead, I kept having my shots get wildly thrown to the left and right. Hitting anywhere but these open spots (on flat ground your only hope is hitting right next to the gun) will result in zero effect.

Meanwhile, an Abrams hitting anywhere on the T-90 turret will destroy the gun and have a very high chance of cooking off the tank. Hitting the slope right below the turret will result in a kill. Hitting the bottom area between the treads will not penetrate.

This worked out surprisingly in Operation Vanguard Forward v1. Since the T-90s are allowed to lie in wait, their engines cool to the point that they have almost zero thermal signature. Only once they start engaging do their barrels heat up enough to be visible. Plus a lot of the Abrams that crested had their sides exposed, where they are easily penetrated. Defense vs Offense made an equal amount of tanks, with one side's tanks being strictly superior, moderately fair. With the T-90s being gimped further by a broken FCS, they were absolutely wiped out with only two or three Abrams being neutralized and all of the T-90s being destroyed.

Mission 2 - White 1 tank driver.

Mission started out OK, but once we got in combat range my fps dipped down to single digit. We took a hit that took out the gun. Attempted to retreat and repair the damage, but the tank got inoperable (engine would start but the tank wouldn't move).

Then we warped into the ocean. Reconnected, tried to use the empty tank that was left at mission start, but it also failed to move.

Called it a night after that.

Mission 1
Opfor 3rd Squad PKM gunner. 
Squad did an excellent job defending Objective Tysgan. Wiped out the American's weapon section in the first engagement.  The waiting in the dark while the choppers circled us and weapons setup in the killzone was some of the most tense but most fun I have had playing any tactical shooter. When Red Platoon tried to engage over the same hill I managed to suppress them a little but was killed when my PKM ran out of ammo. Only have 2 belts and no extra ammo in the squad or truck limited my effectiveness. Overall, probably the most fun I've had so far with UO.

Mission 2

Radon 143 TC/Driver.

Well once I got my view distance settings fixed I could actually TC effectively. My gunner RedCard was great. The hour of waiting did not justify the 10 minutes of berm drills against Abrams we could not effectively engage. I managed to be the last T-90 standing, which for my first in a command role makes me feel special. We pulled over hill 56 at the end of the match and started engaging the 4 Abrams at close range. It ended badly because we were down to out last ATGM and a few heat rounds. 

My OBS didn't capture my voice but I'll get my recordings of the the first two missions up on youtube at some point. 

Mission 1 Blufor 1st Platoon 2nd Squad: Air assaulted in and attempted to set up an SBF position but where seen by Opfor with NOD and Ratlover called in mortars before using SAWs to wipe the rest of us out. Other then that miniguns both won and almost lost the mission for us, friendly fire was unreal especially on the objective Shark after it had been captured. 

Mission 2 Scout Platoon Javelin Gunner: Probably one of the most fun times I've had with this community, Ranger and I manned a Humvee with mk19 and he got a kill with our ATGM, we roamed the hills between various prestablished TRPs engaging the enemy scout forces and attempting to harass and spot enemy armor, got into some good fights and leveled a city block with two mk19s. Then when the tanks pushed passed we moved up with them to attempt to get to a very forward TRP  21, this was a little nuts but the mission was essentially over by then.

Mission 3 Red-1 Delta: Drove for Jak in the Red-1 Bradley, this misison was the only one that didnt go smoothly with the GO-NOGO from various admins that ended when the Brad in front of us took a missile.  Mission ended with us trading with a BMP outside the AO after seeing 3 Opfor BMPs roaming around out there.

All in all I enjoyed the entire day and look forward to another event. 

All in all, a very fun experience.

Please post any additional suggestions in this forum. I intend to make an updated version based on everyone’s feedback and run this again.

Mission 1:

FSM, you squad’s assault on OBJ elephant went very well. SGT Deadly, your guys did a good job establishing that outer cordon. The actions on the assault and exil were very enjoyable to control as leader.

The assault on the final OBJ was rushed and that’s all on me. Ideally, we would have linked up with the SF Team on the ground and conduct a battle-hand tasks. It was fun though and we ultimately seized control.

Mission 2:

Sustains –

1.) Aggressive nature of the Scout “Ghost” Platoon. They were able to locate enemy OPs and forced them to relocate or be destroyed. They were able to cover large distances across their zone recon area in a very short period of time. This enabled the tanks to continue to advance to each phase line. They also did a good job switching from direct action tasks to recon tasks very quickly which enabled us to clear terrain, destroy enemies, recon forward, and advance the main body continually forward.

2.) Cross-communication on the Company NET was effective. As the commander, I was able to understand the battlespace because of the solid report from the scouts and Red Platoon (who was typically on point). We were able to pass off target information and effectively engage and destroy enemy armor on OBJ Rifles because of this effective communication.

3.) Employ fire & maneuver principles. White and Red platoon were able to carry out their original platoon task of establishing an SBF oriented North onto OBJ Rifles. You continued to engage and destroy targets while Blue Platoon maneuver to exploit the attack by flanking from the West.

Improves –

1.) Blue-on-Blue. Just South of the DMZ there was a blue-on-blue incident where friendly tanks were engaging friendly scouts. I believe that 3 Scouts were destroyed by direct fire from an M1A2. The exact location of that scout section (TRP 2) was well established on company net several times. Platoon leaders should have informed each one of their tank commanders and each tank commander should have confirmed their location with their gunner. I should have called cease fire as well as I was reasonably certain that their intended target was a part of ghost platoon but I could not confirm nor could my gunner. It was a tough call for all involved.

- To prevent this from happening in the future, I should have had Ghost Platoon mark the rear of their position with colored smoke (ideally VS-17 panels) when the tanks were making their final bound to the assault position.

2.) Spacing of tanks. Far too often, an entire platoon’s worth of tanks was within 300 to 500 meters of each other. There should be 300-500 meters spacing between each tank so an entire tank platoon would take at least a 1km. At certain times the terrain was restrictive and funneled our movements but there were plenty of opportunities to space out.

3.) Timing of SBF/Assault. I did not accurately guage how long it would take for Blue Platoon to move from the assault position and onto their assault lane (North side of DMZ). This led to White & Red engaging far too many targets without the assistance of Blue. Blue Platoon also took a while to traverse the terrain to get into position, but once they did, they were able to engage enemy armor from the side while red and white engaged the same enemy armor from the front. Text book.

Edited by Max (Hammer 5)

Mission 3 Red-1 Delta: Drove for Jak in the Red-1 Bradley

Larkin is love. Larkin is life.

Edited by JakCurse

I will now post my thoughts. First off, a few responses:

3rd Mission was one big fuckup, should have been restarted.. Besides that the event was fun.

We did a briefing in the way that is normally done at UO, the previous two missions started when the team commanders were ready to start, and were not allowed to leave the starting area until after that based on that. With mission three, we did the same thing, only we started from the briefing screen. None of the missions had a set-up timer, they started when the go was given, no sooner or later. In mission three, the go was given when I asked both Redfor and Blufor commanders if they were ready before I went into the mission from the briefing screen. Just because some idiot expected BLUFOR to pause the war because REDFOR wasn't ready to attack them yet is not my concern, from an administrative perspective I have no sympathy for commanders who don't treat "go" as "go".

I intend to make an updated version based on everyone’s feedback and run this again.

If you wanna run that by headshot, go for it, if he dumps it on me again, it will be cancelled immediately.

This event was somehow overplanned and underplanned at the same time. I was given three days to see that this nightmare was pulled off with as few hitches as possible and I still encountered tonnes of issues, here are a few:

• At least one of the "already tested" missions was broken on event day.
  • Another one of the "already tested" missions was actually the incorrect version on the server.
  • There were at least three versions of the slot list made, none of which I had access to as someone who may have to run the event because of headshot's failure to communicate about the insanity that was this event.
  • I did request that a fully slotted list of mission two be made, and this was done in addition to mission one which was unnecessary. Slotting tanks so that crews can communicate with each other is important, slotting squads fully is generally unnecessary. I stated this no more than three times to Blue, who ignored me and did his own thing. This seemed to be a pretty common theme with blue. Blue, you seem to mean well, but your presentation is both flippant and frustrating, and not at all conducive to administrative harmony. Every time I asked a question I got sass, and I had to threaten to crush this event beneath my heel in order to get any kind of cooperation out of you. This is not a good way to work with people, and when someone has an event thrust upon them in the manor in which I had, it is not in your best interest to act like a dick towards that person. Briland was there, he can back me up on your behavior.
  • Communication between the original event administration seemed to be kinda shoddy at best, the missions were apparently conditional on the results of the previous missions, but the last communication from headshot informed me that they were not. Mission time limits were communicated to me the night before the event, and yet all the mission commanders seemed to be moving from a timetable ~30 minutes longer than the time limits given.
  • Leadership was insane for the duration of the event. Several mission leaders had power point presentations set up for their briefing, which is cool in theory, but making a mission supertacticalhighspeedlowdragoverplannedshittery is only cool if you actually expect the missions to work. The amount of work that went into some of these damn things was probably more than the work that went into the actual missions based on the amount of mission problems encountered in the lead-up.  Why were there 5 different leaders during the event? If we're simulating some kind of campaign-type operation, than the leadership should stay consistent so that they can maintain a constant operational command structure, if there is different leadership for every mission, than the entire way we prepped and slotted the missions should have changed, primarily that we should have just picked mission commanders and sorted out slots on event day, with admins facilitating and expediting slotting procedures.

The few good things:

• Max was very conciliatory in regards to how this event was set up and in regards to having this dumped on me last minute, thank you.
  • Blue was very helpful in facilitating slotting and getting a slot-list done for mission two as requested, however, the issues posed above still piss me off.
  • Vpope gathered some people and tested the missions on event day, and discovered issues with the missions that were obviously missed by literally everyone who was supposed to check these sort of things.
  • Perfk did fix mission one on very short notice, that was good.
  • The gameplay was mostly pretty fun, and making fun of the idiots bitching about how we needed to pause the war while Redfor found their pants was pretty funny.
  • I got to be a tank commander, I never get to do that, it was fun.

Overall, fuck this event, don't make me run this again, I refuse to do so.

-azz

PS where headshot said he would be on event day:

suAak8f.png

Where Headshot was on event day.

http://i.imgur.com/jj7tXt9.png

Edited by azzwort

Damn..not much else could be said to your post. At least someone from staff piped up and stated the "behind the scene" situation. I like that. Transparency is good.

Regarding mission 3: despite your best intention to make it a "normal" mission, maybe keep the whole event consistent next time to allow for circumstances as such to be fixed. Indeed, cause of those issues was the wrong mission version which had those fixed in new version, but still.

As for organizational side, that can only be resolved by placing responsible and mature individuals in charge of things and/or have them suffer consequences of negligence.

Not mission-specific but general observations.

Pre-Slotting: I feel as though pre-slotting most anything lower than platoon leaders and PSGs is a waste of time. We had so many people no-show that were squad and team leaders that the roster had to be constantly updated right up until event start and even then we had to fill a lot of vacant slots. As far as the process of getting everyone ingame that went far better than the first time obviously. There were also issues with getting enough players balanced on each side due to the rigid rosters.

Briefings: They really were too complicated for what actually occurs ingame. Most of us aren't people with 5-10 years of military experience with PMEs on OPORDs and shit, most of the player base I don't feel benefited much from it, and for me personally working up the fireplan for mission 3 it ended up being frustrating trying to even pull grids for pre-made targets. 

Pre-Mission Courses: This is one aspect, though i didn't attend, struck me as a great idea. It doesn't have to be super-organized, but just loading in game and practicing a bit with vehicles or with your squad goes a long way in improving player skills and coordination.

Radios: Please be aware of how much you are talking on the radio, especially company and platoon nets. There were times when I was trying to contact someone as an RTO and had to wait 5 mins for one person to clear the net so I could speak. Brevity isn't just sounding tacticool and milsim, it has a purpose of keeping the net clear and not botching your entire company's coordination because you're micromanaging people over long-range radio. When I can't even talk to the guy next to me because the radios are so full of traffic as a unit leader, im probably just going to turn it so low that I barely hear it so I can actually do my job.

Leadership: I'm guilty of this as well as several others, but essentially shirking your job as a leader to get into the thick of the fight instead of coordinating your subordinates happened pretty often. When the initial plan fell apart for BLUFOR 1st Platoon in the first mission, there was basically no communication with higher as to our next course of action. VPope as the XO was so grossly overtasked that he could barely communicate with anyone in person.

Missions: I won't beat a dead horse, I know mission making is difficult, and i'm certainly not going to throw rocks from a glass house. But event organizers not just mission makers need to put more effort into organizing detailed and comprehensive mission testing to identify things like gear issues, and not just offloading all responsibility onto one or two people to "make sure the mission works." We have more than enough people willing to help test as evidenced by the pre-event test, it just needs to happen earlier.

Edited by ThePieSpy

Azzwort the only reason I was a "dick" to you is  your attitude nothing more nothing less. When I first told you what your expected to do in the event you responded with " Oh great I am slotted and I have to watch them" or something of the sort then proceeded to complain and bitch to me like I had been planning the event from day one, even though we gave you a dumb task. You also ignored the fact that I got thrown in this position just like you 2 days before the event. When it comes to slotting you asked me to do mission 2 but I also did the rest you did not say don't slot the rest and I didn't see a problem with a slotted roster at the time.  

If you want a better attitude azzwort sort yours and you'll get one. 

Edited by Bluef16

Although we had problems during this run through of the event, it was at least better than the first iteration. 

The Good: 

-All the missions worked to at least some extent, none of the missions caused the server to crash. 

-Some pretty intense and memorable actions.

-People followed orders pretty well from my perspective, and it was nice to see the effort put into planning for the missions by some of the CO's, which brought out a more tactical side to UO that is not seen often.

-Offered a lot of variety within a relatively short timespan, from heliborne raids to armored assaults with the use of a lot of not commonly seen assets during normal play. 

The Bad: 

-Event administration was understandably difficult to coordinate due to last minute shuffling around of responsibilities. 

-Not enough testing of the missions before the event date,  when testing was supposed to occur it is to my understanding that no one showed up. 

-Missions modified by multiple people caused issues, such as setting certain objects to simple, etc. The more people that touch a mission, the greater the chance is that the mission will have issues. 

-Low population hampered the balance and feel of several of the missions from my perspective, we had reached only approximately 90 players at the peak, still 40 players under the max. For future large events I would recommend inviting another community to tag along to bolster numbers, like during the first run through of this event. 

Now I would like to address some points brought up by others in this thread:

• Leadership was insane for the duration of the event. Several mission leaders had power point presentations set up for their briefing, which is cool in theory, but making a mission supertacticalhighspeedlowdragoverplannedshittery is only cool if you actually expect the missions to work. The amount of work that went into some of these damn things was probably more than the work that went into the actual missions based on the amount of mission problems encountered in the lead-up. 

Azzwort, I feel this is incredibly unfair to all the mission makers that developed the scenarios for the event. I have probably spent over 50+ hours creating, testing, adjusting and perfecting mission two which functioned without issues during the event. When creating missions this large in scale and scope, it is difficult to have every part function exactly as it should, no one really knows exactly what will happen when the mission population gets to 100 and above players. Missions one and three, as previously stated were passed around by a few people, each making changes which had the potential to detract from the mission, as seen with what happened in mission three. Mission one had an even more troubled development, but thanks to last minute actions by Perfk was able to function relatively well. In fact, I even fixed AC 337's Brutal to make sure we had a back up mission to play in case one the missions failed, but obviously I put in minimal work when making missions...  Maybe if you have missions on the server I would be more understanding of your positions, but as of now your criticism here is in my opinion unfounded. 

•  Every time I asked a question I got sass, and I had to threaten to crush this event beneath my heel in order to get any kind of cooperation out of you. 

Azzwort, the fact that you would threaten to cancel this event just because you could not get along with Blue irritates me to no end. This is incredibly disrespectful towards all of the mission makers, leadership, and people behind the scenes who worked for countless hours to bring this event to fruition which many ended up enjoying. To affect nearly 100 people over a disagreement with regards to event control is disheartening, and seemingly petty and selfish. 

Pre-Mission Courses: This is one aspect, though i didn't attend, struck me as a great idea. It doesn't have to be super-organized, but just loading in game and practicing a bit with vehicles or with your squad goes a long way in improving player skills and coordination.

Missions: I won't beat a dead horse, I know mission making is difficult, and i'm certainly not going to throw rocks from a glass house. But event organizers not just mission makers need to put more effort into organizing detailed and comprehensive mission testing to identify things like gear issues, and not just offloading all responsibility onto one or two people to "make sure the mission works." We have more than enough people willing to help test as evidenced by the pre-event test, it just needs to happen earlier.

ThePieSpy brought up some good points here that I hope are referenced for future events. The pre mission training, especially Max and Blackhawk's vehicle gunnery course was a superb idea that gave players the chance to coordinate and become familiar with controls before the event. Also, while I missed Jak's MOUT training I am under the impression that it was quite informative and while unable to really be put into practice during the event, it should allow those who attended a better grasp of operations for future missions and events. And with regards to testing, I am fully in agreement as having large scale tests before the event is critical to ensuring minimal mission failure. 

Thanks to Max, SgtDeadly, Perfk, Blackhawk, Blue and all other leadership for making this happen. Lets hope for some more events this year, perhaps with another community?

Edited by Gkenny

Mission 3 was fun. My vic spotted an enemy AT emplacement while we weren't at war. We saw it 3 minutes before it spotted us. It killed us before the war started. I almost broke my keyboard. Dumbest shit in my life.

There was a lack of competence throughout the 3 missions on the admin side. Overall, would play again.

Edited by Wade

I had a good time - thank you to all involved. Your hard work, before and during the event, is appreciated.

I was less than thrilled with the technical performance of the T90s, but otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed myself. 

Now I can only speculate but it seems that every event there is an outstanding amount of controversy regarding the administration of each event. I'd be interested to see what actually goes on in the background. An event like this should not cause so much stress. I sympathise for azzwort having the event dumped on him three days before launch. Was azzwort a part of planning the event at all before this?

Gameplay was decent, I sort of had fun. Highlights being when I got out of my GAZ and started taking fire from an enemy fireteam only to have azzwort drop a mortar right ontop of them 30s later. Got friendly fired by someone in my squad who I ordered to watch a completely different sector so was not happy about that.

In regards to the third mission I was partially responsible for the confusion and destruction of the first Bradley. There was so much conflicting and unnecessary chat going through Global I lost track of what was what. From my perspective I was watching the base of a hill and saw a Bradley move into a position which it could observe us (so I assumed the mission was live) and so I gave the order to fire. I was corrected over the radio to hold, and by the time I was relaying to my gunner to hold the missile was already outbound.  

Was azzwort a part of planning the event at all before this?

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Conditional yes, conditions below:

There was a rather insane PM that I barely paid attention to. Headshot was running this, and nothing I was gonna say would stop him from cancelling the event or saying no to those involved. The most I did to voice any concerns was passive aggressively say "here are the rules you need to follow in order for us to let you run this event again" while linking the PR SOPs, these were adhered to according to headshot, who I trusted because he has pulled things off when I did not expect those things to be pulled off in the past. For my part, I wanted nothing to do with this beyond playing in it. What I had read concerned me, but I adopted the attitude of "not my event" and let headshot continue to do his thing. Internally a thread did exist, but many of the materials involved in the creation of this event were not provided for me or impulse. At one point headshot and impulse and I were gonna get together and slot the missions, but we all kinda decided "fuck it" because the slot list had already been started and posted and there was nothing to be done when our methods needed us to start from scratch. 

Suffice to say, I had access to a few materials that let me stay informed, but the nitty gritty of the event I had to basically assimilate on the fly because very little of it was documented.

Look, I want to point this out:

By all accounts this was a successful event. We didn't have maximum turn-out, but we had a pretty large player count on the server for the duration of the event. The missions were frustratingly unready on event day, but they functioned by event time. I was mad about all the things that were wrong with this event, and EVERYONE, including the people who upset me in the prep time I had, still came through and made this fucking thing work! 

However, to paraphrase Kocher in Generation Kill: "if they say we fought valiantly here, I want 'em to know we fought retarded." I want people to know that from a behind the scenes perspective this event was chaotic for me, and it was successful only because people like Blue, and vpope, and max did everything in their power to make this work at the last minute. I dislike very much the way this event was prepped in the intervening time between V1 and V2, and I still personally feel it was over planned in some respects and under planned in others.

Edited by azzwort