DarkFib3r

UOAF Training

9lE4AQi.png

Welcome to the training section of UOAF. The philosophy of UOAF training is to share realistic and practical knowledge in a casual environment. This knowledge will make you a better pilot and will improve your experience and fun at UOAF events.

Much of the information used in these training courses are also found in the wiki. Furthermore, this training does not try to replace the already excellent training and information found in the BMS manuals. It is strongly suggested that you complete the BMS training as it is extremely well done.

Instructor Pilots:

How to get training

Training can be received either through a direct request with an IP or through a scheduled training session. Demand training session topics will be defined by the student(s) and IP(s) in advance. It is strongly suggested that you have your controls set up properly and that you can do the basics, such as taking off and landing.

Training menu

Ramp start:

Start the engine on the F-16; power up the avionics; load the data transfer cartridge (DTC); properly align the Inertial Navigation System (INS).

Datalink:

Understand how to pre-brief IDM; host a datalink session; enter Improved Data Modem (IDM) information in the Data Entry Display (DED); understand cursor data vs. mark point data; recognize Horizontal Situation Display (HSD) symbology for datalink.

Formation (basic/advanced):

Understand basic tactical formation concepts and theory; understand why tactical formations (TAC-Form) serves as a force-multiplier; learn wingman vs. element lead responsibilities; execute basic tactical formation flying.

Mark points:

Understand how to use mark points in each mode (FCR/TGP/HUD/OVFLY); understand cursor data vs. mark point data.

Air-to-air refueling:

Find the tanker; learn pre and post refueling positions and formation; make pre-tanker checks; and get cleared to contact and refuel.

Beyond Visual Range (BVR):

Employ air-to-air radar and sensors, air-to-air weapons and air-to-air basic tactics to engage enemies from beyond visual range (BVR). 

Within Visual Range (WVR)/Mutual Support:

Understand engaged fighter/supporting fighter responsibilities, communications, brevity; employ WVR tactics. Note: this is not basic fighter maneuvers (BFM). 

In-flight communication:

Learn important brevity, comms discipline including directive vs. informative calls, basic non-combat communications, departure and approach calls to Air Traffic Control (ATC).

Weapon configuration:

Learn SMS settings for various ordinance such as fusing, ripple, release angle, burst altitude, profile 1&2, HAD/POS modes, CNTL pg and sub-pages, etc. 

Constantly-calculated impact point (CCIP):

How to execute a CCIP attack, including rolling in on targets correctly, available munitions, dive bomb profiles as per Red Dog’s KOTAR Range document, and CCIP tactics.

Continuously computed release point (CCRP):

How to execute a CCRP attack with varying munitions and CCRP tactics .

LOFT:

Learn how to configure and employ LOFT bombing with various munitions and using different tactics. 

Dive toss (DTOS):

Learn how to configure and employ dive toss bombing with various munitions and using different tactics.

AGM-65 Maverick:

Learn how to successfully deliver AGM-65 Mavericks in their different modes. Understand keyhole parameters; TGP handoff procedures; the differences between AGM-65 A, B, D, and G; use different tactics.

Glide bombs (Joint standoff weapon (JSOW)/small diameter bombs (SDB)):

Configure and employ various glide bomb munitions; tactics for effectively using different glide bombs.

Destruction/Suppression of enemy air defenses (DEAD/SEAD):

Understand and execute different modes of deployment for the different anti-radiation missiles (ARMs) and their systems; tactics including using Mavericks and/or cluster munitions in this role.

Non-computed pop-up

Fly a low level attack and execute a non-computed pop-up. Know when to use this attack and how to use different munitions during the attack.

Bomb Live Unit/Durandal (BLU-107):

Fly a nap of the earth (NOE) attack on a runway and use runway destroying munitions; understand the threats and how to use offensive counter-air (OCA) tactics.

Strafing:

Employ the 20mm M61 A1 Vulcan to strafe stationary and mobile targets.

Laser Guided Bombs (LGB)/Guided Bomb Unit(GBU):

Configure and employ LGBs including setting laser codes and configuring the TGP to work with your laser guided bombs; work with a partner and conduct buddy lasing and buddy striking on a target.

Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM):

Set up a pre-briefed target and learn how to drop JDAMs. Learn how to hit multiple targets with a single pass.

Tactical Air Support for Maritime Operations (TASMO):

Conduct anti-ship operations with the AGM-65 Maverick, AGM-84 Harpoon, and laser guided bombs on moving targets. Learn how to use the SEA mode on the FCR.

Overhead break:

Enter the pattern and fly a correct overhead break procedure; use proper communication and brevity while performing an overhead break.

Tactical Air Navigation System (TACAN) and Instrument Landing System (ILS):

Learn basic navigation skills, how to tune and navigate using TACAN, how to configure ILS and how to land in instrument flight rules (IFR) conditions.

Helmet Mounted Cueing System (HMCS)

Learn which aircraft employ the HMCS, how to turn on the system, and how to employ it during air-to-air and air-to-ground engagements.

Data transfer cartridge (DTC):

Set up chaff and flare programs and understand how to select and best use those programs. Also learn how to configure other important settings in the DTC.

Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals (IFF) / Basic Fighter Maneuvers (BFM):

Understand basic theory and tactics for offensive/defensive dog fighting.

Edited by Gusy
added Neuro

Thx to DarkFib3r and Gusy for all their effort and time on this! If I can add one takeaway...the most important part of the Training is TO HAVE FUN

Speaking to Nebojsa today and we will be trying to fix up some stuff some weekdays between 0800z and say 1600z which is when I get most opportunities.

Speaking to Nebojsa today and we will be trying to fix up some stuff some weekdays between 0800z and say 1600z which is when I get most opportunities.

Right on. There's a lot on the menu to choose from and will make you a better v-pilot

Edited by SKOSH

Yep - will happily take on any training Nebo or others can give.  Will start shouting from Tuesday as should have a window most days to do something even if just an hour.

I would love to help provide some of these courses. I'm comfortable with providing most of the basics, and if I can attend a course before teaching it myself, I can see the flavour of how you'd like the courses structured.

I would love to help provide some of these courses. I'm comfortable with providing most of the basics, and if I can attend a course before teaching it myself, I can see the flavour of how you'd like the courses structured.

You got it....I'll notify the Office.

Welcome aboard

Hello Coops simply choose a course on the menu and pm a trainer that can teach it. You can pm them on the UO forums or on our discord.

@coops5947.....hit me up anytime for anything and everything F16...we can cover A-Z or anything in between

Edited by SKOSH

Coops,

I would also suggest you let us know what times and days suit your availability, then we can find someone better suited for you in terms of timing.

Edited by ghostdog

Yeah my current time zone is Middle east in working in Iraq atm. Available most evenings after 1900hrs that's 1700zulu

Requesting training in the following areas:

- Air-to-Air Refueling

- BVR

- WVR

- BLU

- Strafing

- Overhead Break

- TACAN

- HMCS

- BFM

I got the next week off so I time wise I should be fairly flexible.

Edited by Edwards

Requestion training in the following areas:

- Air-to-Air Refueling

- BVR

- WVR

- BLU

- Strafing

- Overhead Break

- TACAN

- HMCS

- BFM

I got the next week off so I time wise I should be fairly flexible.

Hi there! What's your time zone?

Requesting: 

Ramp Start
Datalink
Basic A/A Engagement w/ AIM120/AIM9

I've got some experience in DCS A-10. Would really love to get up on server sometime on the 28th of April. I am GMT-6.

Thanks!

Requesting

WVR

Brevity

Lofting

Mainly brevity and improving my SA as I feel I'm getting rusty. My exam season ends in a week so after that I should be good to fly. I'm EEST time zone (GMT+2)