Sign in to follow this  
Falcon

New Video Card Suggestions

So my video card has kicked the bucket and I'm looking to get a new one. My number one priority is something that plays nice with Arma but if also like to be able to run a AAA game with close to max settings from time to time.

Price isn't really a concern, I'm willing to trade increased cost for some future proofing.

GTX 1080 or the 1080 ti. I personally have the GTX 1080, I have great FPS on arma (high to max settings), and it does great on AAA games. There is not a game I know of that I can't run on ultra settings. I do play on 4k, so that is one of those side factors.

At this point a system with the 1080Ti is pretty much going to have performance capped via the processor, so there you go. They are pricey though.

What resolution do you play at and what was your previous GPU?

Edited by J.B.

R9 390 has been great so far. Triples running very smoothly.

The 8GB ones are hard to find now. I bought mine late 2015, I'm sure something better is out now.

They're out there if budget is tight, but if not, Furys and such are available and great. I switched to AMD on friend's recommendation and didn't regret.

I have a 1080 and for me its actually a bit overkill since I game at 1080p. I'm looking to upgrade to 1440p but thats more money down the drain so I would reccomend for 1080p a 1070. Tbh the 1070 is also overkill for a 1080p video card so you could even go 1060 (1060 is about the cap of performance with arma I'd say past that your gonna see gains within the margin or error)

I have a 1070 and i run it on a 2560x1080 screen and it's really smooth. I'm also maxing out some AAA  titles and if not im playing them on very high. Value for money go 1070, 1080 1080ti are beasties that will run anything.

1080ti is overkill on any budget in my opinion. It's made for 4k gaming but in my experience 4k gaming has not been something thats really supported atm. Even if you can get the frame rate needed for it your the UI and such is going to be weirdly scaled.

1070 is sweet spot right now, a 970 will do nearly all 1080p gaming and you can sometimes find them used for cheap, like others have said 1080/ti is ridiculously overpowered but if you want to buy it, good on ya.

if you can wait do so. With Vega on the horizon, prices for NVIDIA GPU's might drop once it releases - that's what I'm doing.

if you can wait do so. With Vega on the horizon, prices for NVIDIA GPU's might drop once it releases - that's what I'm doing.

Big maybe on that one.  the performance jump form 1070 to 1080ti is actually pretty high, YOu can choose to upgrade to 2k and 4k.  But you know what $1000 right now? Too rich for me.

Big maybe on that one.  the performance jump form 1070 to 1080ti is actually pretty high, YOu can choose to upgrade to 2k and 4k.  But you know what $1000 right now? Too rich for me.

Which is why I said wait until Vega drops, prices might drop depending on how good it will be.

Waiting for new to come out for old to drop if an infinite loop. Buy what you want and be happy.

I have a 6 GB GTX 1060. Runs arma at basically max setting at 60 fps and occasionally will drop to 40-55 depending on the severity of the firefight. It also runs aaa games like GTA and Watch Dogs 2 at max settings 60 fps. (Disclaimer: My monitor is only a 60 hz monitor so I cannot describe anything above 60 fps, as all my frame rates will lock to 60 as max)