Add Gusy as AFO  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Add Gusy as AFO

• Yes
    • No

I would like to be considered an Officer of Air Forces, as per 4.3.6.6 of the United Operations Charter, in partnership with fellow Officer of Air Forces Darkfib3r.

Background

The UOAF community ran its first event on May 27th 2011. Since then Krause and Force_Majeure successfully created a “fun but serious” online squadron culture. In September of 2015 Force made his Change of Leadership “Dear John” forum post and eventually handed the reigns over to Darkfib3r handling the BMS events, while Cruiser handled the DCS events. Unfortunately activity in DCS slowed and Cruiser stopped running events. Darkfib3r ran events for BMS but required assistance in fragging(Mission Making) the events every week. He approached me and asked if I would like to help out, I gladly accepted.

I’ve enjoyed Flight Sims since I had access to computers in the early 90s. I started on Jane’s titles such as ATF, Longbow, WWII Fighters, F-15. I enjoyed these but was too young to really sink my teeth into them. This changed when Falcon4.0 and Janes F/A-18 came out. I began to fully study the avionics/weapons/procedures and joined pickup flights in Hyperlobby. The population slowly began to fade away in the early 00s, then LOMAC came out. Lock On: Modern Air Combat gave flight simmers a breath of fresh air. Hundreds of Squadrons were reborn just for this sim, but unfortunately the squadron I joined died out within months of launch. I quit flight simming until 2005 when Allied Force launched. Falcon:AF turned into what LOMAC should have been. It restarted squadron culture and stayed the king for years until titles such as DCS(LOMAC Replacement) and other Falcon4 Mods took over in ~2010. I must have put in 3000+ hours into Allied Force. I flew with multiple squadrons some serious, some not so serious. The Hyperlobby scene was incredible and I met a ton of good people there. Putting so much time into this I burnt out and quit flight sims when the Allied Force scene died in 2010.

In 2015 playing I got that “itch” to fly again after watching UOAF videos. So I installed BMS and re-learned this new sim, which btw is much improved over AF. I joined up on their weekend flights and damn it’s it fun to be around these guys. The UOAF I encountered had two things that every squadron I’ve been with in the past only had one of, Serious Flying AND Fun. Force and Krause working together had created this culture that is just so hard to make and retain over so many years. I was hooked and flew every weekend I could.

Fast forward to Darkfib3r asking me if I would like to help him frag, absolutely I would like to help. Dark and I think very much alike. We agree that the events need to be structured and professional, and sometimes add silliness here and there. We keep emotion out of issues and always have time to help new players out. We have a philosophy to lead by example and never tell people to do something that we are not willing to do first. Since 2015 Dark and I have stood the test of time in running the Events. We have an EU Times Zone team that sometimes helps out with fragging if Dark and I cannot do it for the week.

-

Situation

In late 2016 the population of UOAF began to sharply rise from an average 10 players an Event to 16 in November/December. We had to extend the time it took to create and run events to accommodate the rise in players. Then 2017 hit and we were swamped in a wave of new players, hitting 20 then 24 and now 28 player events weekly. We had to create infrastructure to handle this many players, which btw in a flight sim is an insanely high amount to handle. We began ask players throughout the community their opinions on this and often had internal discussion on what to do. Eventually we decided to join the greater UO and create a UO Office with structure in place to handle large player counts, training, event creation, and a transfer of data scattered in our training forum to the UO Wiki.

-

The Office

Now that the AFO is created we can begin the process we have been working on for 3 months. Over those 3 months our idea on the Office structure has improved quite a bit and I’d imagine will continue Improve over the next few months. There are two teams that we are 100 percent on, the Event Fragging Team and the Training Team.

Event Fragging Team

Our primary goal is to create the Event Fragging Team and have it operational as soon as possible. Within this team will be US and EU time zone players that will spread out the ever growing workload of created weekly events. What we want to happen is for the US and EU timezone teams to trade weeks, with the US team taking a week and EU team taking the next week. It usually takes one person 3 to 6 hours to create a Saturday event, with a team of 3 they can bring that workload down to 1-2 hours.

Training Team

Our secondary goal is to create the Training Team. While this is not as vital as the Event Team, it will really help out new pilots learn the sim and old pilots re-learn topics. This team will have Instructor Pilots(IP) create events and give one-on-one lessons for players. They will use the “Learning Objectives” posted on our Wiki Codex.

Documentation

We have created and actively worked on UOAF wiki documentation. Our first goal was transferring all material listed on our training forum to the wiki, which was completed on March 23nd thanks to the hard working UOAF Community. While the Codex is still a work in progress, it is shaping into a great learning tool for players looking to find information on the BMS sim. With the Codex being built up our next priority is to update the forum sticky posts with up-to-date information. This will begin happening in the next few weeks as the AFO has been created.

Event Expansion

Once the Event Fragging Teams are running smoothly, Dark and I will have more time to create events outside the main Saturday event each week. We plan on adding fun and challenging Tactical Engagements(TE’s), PvP(TVT) TE’s, Roleplay TE’s, and perhaps one day work on implementing a 24 hour Persistent Campaign.

-

My goal in UOAF is to make sure our Teams are running as smoothly as possible. I would like participate in the Fragging team by joining the US Timezone group, and participate in the Training Team. Along with these duties I will to maintain the UOAF culture that Force and Krause started years ago. I will uphold the Leadership requirements of the AFO, work with and communicate with the other Offices as needed, and Follow all the rules required by Officers as stated in the UO Charter.

This poll was put up at Regular Request.

This poll requires a simple majority vote lasting two weeks, ending on 2017-04-07.

Edited by Impulse 9
Formatting Cleanup

As it looks there you will be required to have a lot of delegates helping you.  How do you plan to accomplish this knowing that 4.3.8 requires delegates to be Regulars?

Also your applications talks of a partnership, what will happen if only one of you becomes and officer?  Are you prepared to proceed alone?

Edited by kalohepirate

As it looks there you will be required to have a lot of delegates helping you.  How do you plan to accomplish this knowing that 4.3.8 requires delegates to be Regulars?

Currently there are not many UOAF Regulars because in the past becoming a Regular was tied to Arma. With Lexi and Darkfib3r becoming Regulars the role is changing into a Community title. Before the AFO creation the UOAF has held it's own citizen system called the Roster. Roster members are held to a high standard and represent our values. Now that the UOAF has joined UO as a game community, I would like to begin phasing out our Roster system and start getting those players to apply for Regularship. Players within UOAF that are not "delegates" that wish to help out with fragging or training are fully welcome to, they will simply not be officially added to the team or granted the server access/forum access until they become Regulars at UO.

Also your applications talks of a partnership, what will happen if only one of you becomes and officer?  Are you prepared to proceed alone?

For over a year now Dark and I have created a two-man system that works. We work well together and we compliment each others faults and combine our strengths to get events created and settle any UOAF business. With that said if the UO Regulars vote to only have one of us as Officers, we are ready to adapt to this. It will not be efficient and I expect it would have many problems, but it can be done if required.

You and Dark have been leading the charge on UOAF, makes perfect sense for you to continue to do so. Yes.

Edited by JakCurse

Currently there are not many UOAF Regulars because in the past becoming a Regular was tied to Arma. With Lexi and Darkfib3r becoming Regulars the role is changing into a Community title. Before the AFO creation the UOAF has held it's own citizen system called the Roster. Roster members are held to a high standard and represent our values. Now that the UOAF has joined UO as a game community, I would like to begin phasing out our Roster system and start getting those players to apply for Regularship. Players within UOAF that are not "delegates" that wish to help out with fragging or training are fully welcome to, they will simply not be officially added to the team or granted the server access/forum access until they become Regulars at UO.

The removal of the roster system and the move to have them become Regulars is welcomed solution.  Hopefully they will choose to do so.  Hopefully they will also step up to help with the delegate positions.  Unfortunately the charter is limiting in this matter and may need to be updated to include Donating Members too.  I'll wait and see before casting a vote.