The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Jak

Considering making a map. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Title says it all, really. I'd like to design a map, but every time I go "ooh this'd be cool" it turns out someone's already working on it. Halp.

If someone says that they are 'working' on something, it doesn't necessarily mean they are really working on it or that they will eventually release their project in any playable state. There's many people in this community 'working on things'. Someone claiming things shouldn't discourage you from making a terrain you want. Once you start your project you will discover why it's easier to start it and just say you are working on it rather than actually finishing it. (hint: it takes lots of time)

My personal suggestion would be to make a big open map suitable for armor combat, something like Tropica in Arma 2. I think it's only terrain type we don't currently have (big flat map 20 or 30km wide).

Some countryside somewhere, preferably a place you can easily reference in photo or better yet in person. Due to ARMA limitations, avoid super dense urban areas if possible, assuming you're going 1:1 scale and small terrain grid.

Alternately, do a map of a small Pacific island nobody has any business with...err, nevermind.

xqiFkeH.jpg

Siberian Countryside in Summer. Open area for Armored clashes with sporadic trees and streams.

When i tried doing one (before realising what was really necessary and laugh at myself for even thinging about it) i found that the area around Fulda of the renowned Fulda Gap in Germany (with Fulda on the left side of the map) could have been a nice place to have some WWIII armoured clashes. 

I like Gusy's suggestion. We need more terrain for combined arms type of deals.

I always wanted to do a Western US-themed map, there are quite a lot of American assets (especially buildings) out there now,

but very few actual islands that feature them usable for our purposes.

I was once planning to do a 5x5km of this area.

For the US you can get very good high resolution DEMs from USGS.

Refer to Lancer for some good lessons learned, especially on vegetation and tessellation.

Edited by zumorc

Some countryside somewhere, preferably a place you can easily reference in photo or better yet in person. Due to ARMA limitations, avoid super dense urban areas if possible, assuming you're going 1:1 scale and small terrain grid.

Alternately, do a map of a small Pacific island nobody has any business with...err, nevermind.

Haha even I would not recommend doing a pacific island which shall not be named. Just too boring of a terrain.

I get the feeling that doing a big fucking open plane would be cake but boring. I like the idea though.

That was the idea. Hills, little woods, several farms and tilled fields, Fulda itself with the US Army airport nearby. If i were looking for a big empty flat space id go on desert. 

Edited by Maffa

I always liked the layout of Hue City, Vietnam.

Some sites on the battle of Hue City during the Vietnam War that include fairly detailed maps.

http://www.pilsch.gatech.edu/AirOps/hue-compound.html

http://steveswatek.com/

http://www.vietvet.org/visit/maps/maproom.htm

Basically the city was split by a river between the Northern "Old City" (traditional Vietnamese architecture including a large palace that was formerly used by the Vietnamese monarchy) and the Southern "New City" (French/American architecture) joined by a pair of road bridges and a railway. The surrounding area was a mix of rice paddies, farms, and jungle. While we don't exactly have that much Asian architecture, Tanoa buildings are varied that they could be used as substitutes.

69935596.jpg

Airfield%2C_Hue_Citadel_July%2C_1967.jpg

Another idea is a desert map coastal map with a Kavala/Georgetown-sized city and harbor (mixture of traditional Middle Eastern and modern architecture) with surrounding oil fields, tributaries etc. with a USMC Expeditionary Strike Group similar to the one on Podagorsk sitting a mile or two off the coast 

This map could make for a stand-in for Mogadishu, Kuwait City, Beirut, and various other conflict areas in the Middle East while not suffering from the framerate problems maps like Fallujah have with their massive size.

Kuwait6_02.jpg

Damaged_building_in_Kuwait_City_1991_DA-

If i were looking for a big empty flat space id go on desert. 

"big"

Well you can go off border as well, no one will notice since it's all frikkin yellow sand all the same...

If you wanted large open plain you could do the North German plains..

I know the ArmA engine is crap doing urban settings, but I would love a northern european style city with large buildings allowing for some decent urban combat on a conventional warfare scale.... Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg?

Also the Hue City idea is great... but the amount of vegetation and objects might pose a problem with the new LOD switching fade in thing.

Jack i'd be happy in helping you create anything to do with hills or winter. 

We have very few winter scenarios and also much of the terrain is quite flat and it could open up many possibilities to create something winter with hills. 

Also getting hold of the micro terrain on Altis, Stratis & Tanoa would be great.

Make African plains with jungle like say this long/lat 10°01'53.5"N 5°03'01.7"E

then my dreams of invading africa can come true

Jack i'd be happy in helping you create anything to do with hills or winter. 

We have very few winter scenarios and also much of the terrain is quite flat and it could open up many possibilities to create something winter with hills. 

Also getting hold of the micro terrain on Altis, Stratis & Tanoa would be great.

Sharp hills tend to be wonky at distance with regards to clipping through or LOD meaning they're transparent when they shouldn't be