Sign in to follow this  
Lunchyyy

PSA: Please double check ACE's enable cook off option on vehicles

ACE's cook off feature is great, but I think we can all agree there are times when some people shouldn't survive a vehicle explosion. For example today I hit a UAZ directly with an RPG and it killed nobody and just threw everybody out. This can actually be disabled in the editor by unticking "Enable cook off" under "ACE options" in the unit(s) attributes. I will be going through all my missions and double checking which vehicles could feasibly allow for the cook off option under the mission circumstances and hope everyone else will too and take it into account when making new missions.

cookoff has sense on tougher vehicles that get harmed by AT warheads, where it can take a few seconds before everything boils over their own ammo / gas load, as softer vehicles like uaz and humvees just blow away because of HE missile warheads

cookoff has sense on tougher vehicles that get harmed by AT warheads, where it can take a few seconds before everything boils over their own ammo / gas load, as softer vehicles like uaz and humvees just blow away because of HE missile warheads

Yeah I agree, that's why I believe people should turn the cook off feature off on softer armoured vehicles and use their own judgement when making missions. 

Well, depending on the warhead you are firing at soft vehicles, it is entirely possible for minimal casualties depending on where the vehicle is struck.

Hitting a UAZ in the engine block with a PG-7 (HEAT) will likely not kill anyone in the vehicle. Hitting the passenger compartment with an OG-7 (HE-FRAG) will likely kill or severely wound everyone.

The cookoff module is likely not that granular, but the fact remains that just because you hit a vehicle with an anti-tank weapon, doesn't mean everyone inside should be dead instantly.

If you want to turn off/on the cookoff feature on scripted vehicles, you can use the following:

//Turn off ace_cookoff
VEHICLE setVariable ["ace_cookoff_enable", false, true];

//Turn on ace_cookoff
VEHICLE setVariable ["ace_cookoff_enable", true, true];

Replace VEHICLE with the objectname or applicable variable.

Retrieved from the ACE3 wiki.

Edited by L3TUC3