Jimbo

A seeder mission is not a real misson

At least it shouldn't be. It should be a waiting room. A placeholder.

I liked it because it wasn’t really a mission. People seemed to take their time getting started and players had a chance to get prepped and ready for a mission. It provided an opportunity to try out specific tactics and drills. It was a environment to socialize in game. When the numbers got higher we would end the mission and start a real mission.

I enjoyed CO-Ops mostly because it wasn’t a real mission. I know there have been many many times since COOps was removed that I do not play ARMA. I see the server empty, no-one is playing. If CoOps was still available I would log on. But while waiting it is playable solo. I could practice flying or test out weapons or ordinance. But usually I would not wait long to be joined by someone. Then soon after that there would be two of us. It was really fun to play with just 2 people. We could do a recce. Or sneak inside the AO an set explosive traps for the enemy. I was great to play with a fireteam cause we could conduct a probe to test the enemy strength. The thing is like a blackboard that allows the leadership to propose whatever type of objectives seem fitting for the team. It’s a seeder the real objective is to encourage players to join the server. I saw great leadership often and rarely saw players derping or relaxing the UO standards. It was an excellent opportunity to exercise communication and teamwork.

If I started the mission I would often set the AO as a huge area and limit the mech/armor assets. Then focus on infantry only type objectives.

Co-Ops was a place to hang out until we had enough players to start up a real mission. I noticed many times that players congregated at the base until we had at least a fireteam or a squad and then someone would take lead, assign roles and loadouts and then conduct a decent briefing. It was a very good example of the type of game play that I really enjoy at UO.

Some nights a couple of us could have been loitering in TS, looking at our respective screens, just chatting, but instead chose to start up ARMA and go to the base on Altis and be in a virtual world together. Pretty soon other players we logging in and we would have enough players for a little action.

The other seeder type missions are dramatically different. The focus is on spawning and respawning then running out to  the enemy and getting kills. There is very little chance to get players in a group, assign rolls, kit out and conduct proper briefings. I’m not saying that it didn’t or couldn’t happen, but that the mission design encouraged players to repeat the endless cycle of respawn and teleport to the action, and repeat, and repeat. I once stood at a spawn point in an Insurgency mission and watched players respawn and run to the teleport for about 10 minutes. Not one of them stopped and said a thing to me.

I really miss having a good seeder where early morning, weekday, late night, relaxed players can just chill. If it is made correctly it is not a “real” mission. It is just a place to enjoy each others company … till there are enough of us for a “real” mission.

P.S. Any good seeder should have a sign at the spawn point that directs all players to

"Contact the CO on Long Range Radio Channel 1 to receive orders."   

so they don't run off solo.

HWF6ohW.jpg

Edited by Jimbo

Me and my friends are playing Antistasi on a local network and boy it's fun. I also play another instance alone. If forces you to solve tactical and strategical problems at the same time, and also seeds random missions. It's a persistent, aLive like insurgency mission, and It scales well as a solo experience as well as a full 50+ player mission.

Problem is, it doesnt work with ACE, only with ACE medical, and it also has embedded TFAR (but no idea how it works with ACRE), so forget our modset. We use the slimmest config possible, CBA, RHS and Arma Enhanced Movement. If there were a way to smuggle it somewhere (not necessarily with the modsset we have, of course) im rather sure it'd be a great hit.

Edited by Maffa

+1 with Jimbo 

I miss those seeder mission too for the exact same reasons that you exposed

if it has full ace then there will be some basic mechanics that wont work, like the loading/unloading crates from trucks which are central to the completion of more than half the missions :(

Seeders are a great way to get the server alive. If anyone was here back in Arma2 you would know that we absolutely loved Patrol Ops as it would encourage play time on week days and gave newer players the chance to take on leadership! If it wasn't for Patrol Ops I would probably not be as much of an experienced leader as I am now. Sure at low numbers people will goof around but we should indeed have signs and texts on the map stating that you will treat this as a real mission or be kicked. Back in Arma2 I remember when a CO would take control and people handled the seeder as a legit mission with briefs, assets, and control.

I remember when a CO would take control and people handled the seeder as a legit mission with briefs, assets, and control.

That's the key Turtleman.  Good leadership, clear communication.  The recent seeders just don't seem to encourage people to wait around at a base.  There doesn't seem to be logical place to take a break and reorg, rekit and conduct a briefing.  

I miss that COOPs mission.   It's early evening here.  Zero players on the primary.

Edited by Jimbo

Insurgency missions have a base just as any other seeder and COOPs has teleporting just the same as Insurgency. I wouldn't blame player behavior on mission design in this case, get a bunch of likeminded players with you and you'll get the results you want, simple as that.

Your leadership skills (including the ability to influence Internet people to do things your way) will be put to the greatest test in any seeder mission. There will usually be some people disagreeing with your command style and refusing to follow instructions, as everyone has a different idea of what gameplay should look like on such missions.

Co-ops was also equipment enforced, there's something about people running around with construction helmets with M82s on Insurgency that kinda makes /everyone/ derpy.

I've been used to make some missions back to the old time of Arma 2 but I never made any missions for UO.

May be I should try to start making some stuff  ! I will have a look in the mission editing subforums to see if there is some guidelines and rules to follow to make a mission within the UO compliances 

Well its time to get the authors to fix them or do it yourself really[the thread complainers, not you Perfk].

True Zzez.  I suppose I should try to fix the mission that I liked so much.  But I am so slow at learning scripting I'm sure it would take years ... we would be playing ARMA 5 by the time I have it fixed.  So instead i posted up this thread hoping that anyone who is better than me would try to resurrect CoOps. 

Insurgency is "ok" but could be better. I liked the old Patrol Ops where you could use and practise with almost every Type of Arma asset. It's where I learned how to fire ACE mortars and practise 9 lines

Me and my friends are playing Antistasi on a local network and boy it's fun. I also play another instance alone. If forces you to solve tactical and strategical problems at the same time, and also seeds random missions. It's a persistent, Alive like insurgency mission, and It scales well as a solo experience as well as a full 50+ player mission.

Problem is, it doesn't work with ACE, only with ACE medical, and it also has embedded TFAR (but no idea how it works with ACRE), so forget our mod-set. We use the slimmest config possible, CBA, RHS and Arma Enhanced Movement. If there were a way to smuggle it somewhere (not necessarily with the mod-set we have, of course) I'm rather sure it'd be a great hit.

Hey Maffa, Broadkiller and I were playtesting this on Test 1 last night and as far as I could see, it does work with ACE3.

Hey Maffa, Broadkiller and I were playtesting this on Test 1 last night and as far as I could see, it does work with ACE3.

Look here. I know that on the surface it seems no biggie, but i assure you that it's a huge PITA, as in it negates the very tool you need in order to win the misison.

Edited by Maffa