HeadShot

Operation Vanguard Forward [2017-01-07]

So, the first mission didn't work, Mission two was TVT117 Brutal, after which we played Op Vanguard part 2 (m1a2 vs T90), finaly finishing the night with TVT65 Three Valleys.

Here is the plan for mission 1:

4vHkxPd.jpg

Thank you everyone who showed up.

It would be awesome if everyone could post the planing  pics & documents, you guys put in some hard work.

A huge thanks to Sgt.Deadly & Gkenny who made the missions we had the most fun on, and to Max who helped overwhelmingly.

Mission Maker for OP Vanguard Part 2 Here: If anyone noticed anything wrong/bugged or has any suggestions please let me know. I already know of one with the ammo in the US Recon Platoon vehicles not working/ wrong type.

Edited by Gkenny

I was trying to link Barrage's post to me where he wanted everyone to spawn, but it seems to not work when linked. That works too I guess. 

Big thanks to Headshot for stepping up ... and everyone who helped pull this moose afterbirth through the mailslot.

Immersive sneaking down through the forest ... we would have been quieter without the Vics.

Remember to move quickly to cover after firing an RPG. The smoke trail can give away your position.

Can not say I  enjoyed this at all guys.

Spent close to two hours slotting, multiple briefs and then an entirely new mission while being told the planned ones were being fixed. Also numerous clowns in teamspeak, blasting audio with no real admin presence to kick/ban said individuals. - I know my opinion will generate a fair bit of hate, but I would have much preferred to stick with the original plan.

Aside from that, thanks to the mission makers/organisers. The battalion assault seemed like a great concept and I hope we get to revisit it soon. (I'm happy to participate in any  additional testing that may be required to get the missions back up)

Can not say I  enjoyed this at all guys.

Spent close to two hours slotting, multiple briefs and then an entirely new mission while being told the planned ones were being fixed. Also numerous clowns in teamspeak, blasting audio with no real admin presence to kick/ban said individuals. - I know my opinion will generate a fair bit of hate, but I would have much preferred to stick with the original plan.

Aside from that, thanks to the mission makers/organisers. The battalion assault seemed like a great concept and I hope we get to revisit it soon. (I'm happy to participate in any  additional testing that may be required to get the missions back up)

I'm sure most people would agree with you. I had to wake up at 5am to be here for it. The 2nd mission of the event was okay but honestly I didn't really feel like I had fun until we started playing missions we already had on the server that weren't specifically made for the event.

No offence meant to the people who took part in organisation and creation of the event, creating an event that isn't just "come on the server and lets play some TVTs" is a monumental task, and you guys did well for the most part. I know we can't get 100 people on to test but I hope in future though we can try and foresee issues such as the usage of high command with AI and clutter in a server with 110+ people, desync, and all the issues that plagued the event. I also apologise if I drove Vpope/Headshot crazy constantly asking for the voice codec to be turned down  :unsure:

Edited by Lunchyyy

I was looking forward to play this event, I had a look at all the documents that were released, I took a look at the T-90 for almost an hour to know all its features, I sat in the waiting room for half an hour, waited 2 hours to start playing (slotting took a long time, then briefing, then desync, reconnect, desync, mission abort), there was almost no information on the slotting but an outdated google spreadsheet, critical informations were not shared with the gm staff, example: someone gave all players NVGs, none of the GMs in the discord chat knew who that person was nor did anyone inform us about that. I left after we aborted the first mission, at that point I already spent 3-4 hours of preparing and waiting for something to happen...

Here is the plan for mission 1:

4vHkxPd.jpg

I was one of the members of Belka Recon (A converted Platoon Squadron with an attached Forward Observer) and we were sent into the area just northeast of LZ Eagle. We were minutes away from attacking the two Chinooks and Blackhawk about to touch down at LZ Eagle with the three UAZ Techies and mortar support, when the server crashed. A shame, since it would've been a huge firefight. The choice of landing zones is rather unfortunate given their proximity to us. I also believe there was a small recon element dropped off at LZ Hawk that ran into the technicals.

Edited by HavisTraley

I am sure that the most disappointed were the one that organized it. Grand nights like these are subject to the whims and tantrums of that big whore mistress that Arma III is. You cant proof test an event with 120 people now can you? Everybody bravo (as in thumbs up, not phonetics for B) for trying, looking forward for the next!

This said, I'm curious to know what happened at Vanguard #2

I was in BLUFOR Red 4 tank. Plan was (or had become) to concentrate on a relatively small window in order to bombard on the hills immediately before the first objective, but we were stopped on our tracks (literallly) from a wider front of defense. From my perspective, for OPFOR it was like (as we say in Italian) shooting at fishes inside a barrel (as in taking potshots at something that cant run or evade): they saw us coming, they knew where we were coming from, they prepared on a wider arc  (so that we had to scan a wider area for targets than them), and they also took advantage of the slope below the ridge where we were so that as soon as a hull was visible that tank was toast before the gunner could have done anything. Good foor for thought, i am ignorant of armoured warfare and i am curious of knowing what you people take on what happened.

After my tank was blown up i had to sign out because it was 2:30 AM for me and with just a puny M4 and no AT it made not much sense going on for me.

Last, a suggestion. I also tried to repair an initail damage to my gun, but either ACE repair was broken or not implemented. As a suggestion, i would like that in a armoured themed mission or in any mission that heavily relies on vehicles there would be a mention on if and how ACE repair is set. 

I would also like to know what went wrong from the technical/mm side of things as to prevent similar stuff from happening again. I heard there were problems with the high command module, id like to know more about that.

In any case, bravo everybody :)

Mission 2 was played with wastly smaller numbers than intended and way too rushed. BLU Recon ran ahead and past enemy recon which promptly engaged with AGS and ATGM. It was bad. Other missions were better and I enjoyed 3 valleys the most.

Rusty, 2h is not that long. I remember a 5h desync/slot battle in A2 TVT 200 with tanks. Only to lost all other tanks in my platoon and sit in bush sniping 3 T72s.

I had the most fun driving tank Blue 4. Getting yelled at by Max and Pancake who were insanely immersed was definitely  a highlight! Only wish my frames didnt drop to 5 at the end of the mission :-{

Would be willing to retest these missions for a re-boot, please announce testing dates!

Sorry for all the time people put in for prep.

big events like this are always difficult to organize and I would like to thank everybody involved. 

That said I had fun in the brutal TVT on Altis even if I don't know how I died and in the tank mission when I was driver of Dog6 (ratlover232's tank)

759355vlcsnap7471111923h51m58s857.png

858561107410screenshots201701080007301.j

After our tank has been destroyed I took the radio on rat body and tried to spot ennemies BMP and T90 for survivors. I finished the mission 30 m on the left of a T90 between hill 1 and hill 2.

Last mission I played were the three valley mission under chainsaw command and it was really dark for me ! (darker than Jimbo's video for me) I get killed during the engagement of the barn after being wounded several times behind my tree and I've been able to see the heroic Boner !!! omg  :laugh:

By the way I did several recording of the event with shadowplay but sadly I don't have the teamspeak conversation recorded.

How do you guys manage to record the game with radios and all the stuff ?

Please post your footage if you have it anyway from the event! I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

Thanks to everyone who participated. I personally apologize for the game-debilitating issues we faced on Saturday. Mission 2 was a lot of fun, however. Special thanks to the team who put this together. I for one, will not be discouraged to try again. Next time we’ll be sure to have a better plan in place so that the 1-18 Infantry can continue to fight the virtual fight.

GO VANGUARDS!

3 Improves:

-       Broken missions. The quality control aspect for mission creation/validation needs to be needs to adhere to a standardized process that prevents unplayable missions from being loaded on event day.

-       Mission Planning and Communicaiton.Senior leaders need more time between receiving their higher headquarter’s order and them issuing their own. A week was not sufficient for Company Commanders to receive, analyze, create, and disseminate a plan. I think 2 weeks should be the used at a minimum. We also need to figure out how to make it easier to communicate their plan to each player in their organization.

-       Rehearsals. Large-scale missions like this require more rehearsals – especially when presented with the high variety of tactical missions tasks we were asked to accomplish (air-ground planning, air-assaults, armor/mech in/light in compnay attack, direct and indirect fires integration, etc). It would be nice to find a way to schedule a rehearals and try to get people who want to rehearse into those key leadership roles.

3 Sustains:

-       Cross UO teamwork. Gusy served as the aviation battalion liason officer and substantially helped with the rotary planning effort for Mission 1. Great effort and great representation for UOAF. The mission making office lent a lot of support to the mission makers – especially during the last 72 hours. The help was really appreciated. Next time we’ll make sure to plan accordingly so all your guy’s efforts don’t go to waste.

-       Briefing Material. The amount of thought and effort that went into those Company, Platoon, Section levels plans was awesome. We need to work on replicating some type of rehearsal into the order process and, together with those orders, we can take on very complex and exciting missions.

-       Enthusiam. We had a lot of people turn out. Thank you everyone who did because it was nice to see that many people interested in what we are trying to accomlish.

I really like the rehearsal idea, maybe one a week before and one during the week (Tac Tuesday? Rehearsal Thursday?)

After our tank has been destroyed I took the radio on rat body and tried to spot ennemies BMP and T90 for survivors. I finished the mission 30 m on the left of a T90 between hill 1 and hill 2.

What you were unaware of, was one of our dismounted crewmen was about 5m behind you and was peeking to kill you as the mission ended.

-       Broken missions. The quality control aspect for mission creation/validation needs to be needs to adhere to a standardized process that prevents unplayable missions from being loaded on event day.

You will probably struggle to get missions of this size to be consistently good quality. As you can't stress test to any meaningful degree, whether or not the server can take it is mainly based on judgement and speculation. A common phrase being "it should be fine."

It might be better in future if Events were more limited in playercount, but more interesting in scope.

Example:

"Tree Style" Campaign - Run over several sessions, a company is filled with 3 platoons & support elements. The company then plays through several objectives, but only one or two platoons at a time. For example, on the first session, 1st Platoon could launch an assault on a village. The next mission to be played would then depend on whether or not the first mission was a success or a failure, and could be 2nd Platoon assaulting the next village or defending against an enemy counter attack. The campaign would then stay dynamic, and if platoons were split by time zone then the event could be run with several missions in one day, for example, 1st Platoon being EU play first at 1900Z, then 2nd Platoon being East Coast USA could play at 1900ET (000Z), then 3rd Platoon being pacific and playing at 1900PST (0300Z). So on the Saturday you have the first round and the Sunday the second round, in total 6 missions being played with a consistent narrative that develops depending on how the players do.

Example Missions:

Mission 1: Break The Line

1st Platoon assaults a section of the enemy frontline in order to establish a breach to allow the rest of the company to advance. In the event, the platoon is successful.

Mission 2: Exploiting The Breach

2nd Platoon now exploits the breach that 1st Platoon has created, attacking a suspected enemy command post in the enemy's rear area. In the event, the platoon is unsuccessful.

Mission 3: Stemming the tide

With 2nd Platoon now cut off behind the enemy's lines, 3rd Platoon mounts a hasty defence in order to prevent the entire company from being surrounded. In the event, the platoon is successful.

Mission 4: Spoiling Attack

In an effort to save 2nd Platoon, 1st Platoon assaults an enemy staging area to prevent an attack on the cut off platoon. In the event, the platoon is successful.

Mission 5: Breakout

2nd Platoon, low on ammunition, breakthrough the encircling enemy to rejoin the company. In the event, the platoon is unsuccessful.

Mission 6: Backs to the wall.

As the enemy attack to push the company back out of their lines, 3rd Platoon defend a village from the main enemy counter attack. In the event, the platoon is successful.

Final Narrative:

Cut-off, surrounded and running low on supplies, 2nd Platoon is forced to surrender to the enemy. The company is relieved in place, and the offensive continues, but the company is withdrawn from the line to receive sorely needed reinforcements.

Missions could be set up in Zeus to avoid having to have 60 premade missions.

or just cut the missions to a bare bone without props, AI, and such.

Then you are A) limited to only TVT missions and B) Pretty simplistic ones at that. Pretty sure the first mission didn't have any props (although it did have AI) and it still failed.

i got to understand that the reason vanguard #1 failed was because of the high command module. It had roughly the same playercount as TVT120 Brutal IIRC, but one worked and the other one did not (including TS de-syncs: one had them, one had them not) . Moreover, once you have 120 players on the server your options are pretty limited to TVTs, since you cannot possible spawn a force of AI of the equal size or more.

Be as it may, your concept of event is as interesting as the great event, granted that the missions actually works (and as i said, you cant know it until you load the server with people). Thing is i dont think you cant test the server load for a 120 playercount mission with 20, so in order to prepare for an event of that size you also need to schedule a server load test with 50+ people some weeks before that i think.

The idea of branching mission is nice (i guess you were talking about coop missions), but since you take the opportunity to create an event, it would be nice to include as many people as they are willing to take part and play. If the mission works it doesnt look good keeping people out of the primary and have them wait for another match to end: somehow to me it looks like asking for no shows on the event missions fragged for later.

I dont know much about server management tho, so it's totally possible im spouting bollocks.

Edited by Maffa