Sign in to follow this  
Contrails

TVT59 Gopher Hunt V2 21AUG

In terms of balance the mission needs a bit of an overhaul. As the downed pilots its too easy to just turn off your transponder, run as far to the blufor spawn as you can then turn it on or pop smoke when you see a helicopter. I would recommend turning this into a COTVT and have AI in cities (With AA/AAA capability) and random patrols and outposts (It would be cool if these could relay information back to players), rework the ratio to account for that. If you didn't you should also randomise the pilot spawns.

I would also suggest making the AO larger, but at the same time spread out the opfor spawns and have them work in units rather than spawning them all in the same location. 

I also got the feeling most of the players didn't get to do anything, maybe if you could disable the transponder until the 2 pilots reach a randomised point on the map, giving opfor more of a chance to search and blufor more of a chance to run into something. As the downed pilot I was not very immersed, I just ran until some blufor guys found me.

Edited by Lunchyyy

hmm did you know the location of BLUFOR spawn? The downed pilots are not supposed to know the locations of BLUFOR or OPFOR spawn and they along with the SF team spawns are both randomized. 

[...]

I would also suggest making the AO larger, but at the same time spread out the opfor spawns and have them work in units rather than spawning them all in the same location. 

[...]

I had the opposite impression. I thought the AO was waaaay too large for our numbers. It just seemed like way too much ground to cover if you're not flying.

I remember a mission of similar concept back in Arma 2. Not only it was on Thirsk (a much smaller map), it was limited to a certain area to the SE of Thirsk. That way you were sure to always run into something. It worked pretty well, iirc. But then again, Thirsk's forest was thick and Altis is fairly open.

Looking at the AAR-Animation, it appears that BLUFOR spawned way too close to the downed pilots. Considering BLUFOR also has air-capabilities, it was way too easy for them to win the mission in this specific setup. Our unit on OPFOR side had nothing to do at all, didn't fire a shot.

Maybe it would make more sense to actually put OPFOR closer to the downed pilots, in comparsion to BLUFOR. That would make sense, since the pilots were shot down in enemy territory, so OPFOR units should be able to respond faster. Additionally, OPFOR has no air-units, so if they actually capture the downed pilots first, BLUFOR would still have the chance to ambush their convoy and save the downed pilots. BLUFOR could then use the air-units to transport their units to a ambush location rather fast. The transponder would probably help them figure out the route OPFOR is taking on their way back.

Do the transponders send permanently and update their position on the map in real time, or is there a delay for the position of the marker on the map to change? Maybe it would make sense to increase this transponder delay and decrease it's accurance (maybe dependent on the speed the pilots are moving) to make it more difficult for both teams to find the pilots. Also, did the pilots have radios to contact BLUFOR? Maybe it would help balance the mission further, if the pilots radios were "broken" so they can not get in direct contact with BLUFOR.

Overall I really like the concept of the mission, it just didn't seem very balanced the one time I played it on OPFOR side.

Every 30 seconds and can be turned off. Both sides see them. Start is random so in this instance it got close.

As a Mission Maker you need to consider how aspects of you mission can be exploited/abused. The transponders for example, can be turned off and then activated once the pilots have moved far away from Opfor. Blufor then can get to them and extract them before Opfor even has a chance to react.

I would also suggest thinking of ways to bring the two sides together so they can get some trigger time. This is a game after all and it is much more fun with a firefight.

Meeshuns like this are a hard concept to get right but good fun if pulled off. This playthrough was frustratingly close, just 1-200m further down the road and OPFOR would've been able to engage BLUFOR.

One thing I noticed is if BLUFOR get the pilots in chellywopters then it's GG, pilots are gone and OPFOR just need to wait to lose. If OPFOR get the pilots, then due to the distance of the extraction area there's still a chance BLUFOR could use their superior mobility to set up an ambush or blocking force along OPFOR's escape route. Perhaps make it biased to OPFOR getting at least one of the pilots and both sides having to fight for the other? Could create some interesting gameplay (so long as the pilot's transponders are linked to removeable objects and don't broadcast the OPFOR convoy location all the way to extraction).

Another quick thought - how about an observation drone for OPFOR? They retain their mobility disadvantage vs BLUFOR but can locate and close on at least one pilot. Might throw off your OPFOR vs pilot speed balance but could be worth a bash.