The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
Aphex

BF5 is BF1 and its set in WW1!

[video=youtube;c7nRTF2SowQ]

There is still a debate on whether or not it will feature and alternative timeline or not. I think it will have to have some fiction in it to incorporate handheld automatic weapons. I highly doubt EA would publish a game like battlefield with only bolt-action rifles. There trend over the past few games has been to speed up infantry gameplay. If they do only have bolt action rifles than I think it will be much better than a run and gun shooter.

I have to commend EA on this though. This is extremely brave thing to do seeing as the current trend in shooters is futuristic. Maybe they'll push out BF2143 as a DLC?

Edited by Aphex

I love that they went back into the past. WW1 is barely made into video games and I am extremely excited to get my hands on this game. I am glad that there will be some type of naval combat back in the meaning of dreadnoughts. 

A World War One game? That isn't exclusively set in Verdun or the Somme? Colour me shocked! Shocked I say!

I like it.

I wonder if they'll make a decent single player campaign for this one. As one of, like, three WW1 games it deserves it IMO.

There is still a debate on whether or not it will feature and alternative timeline or not. I think it will have to have some fiction in it to incorporate handheld automatic weapons. I highly doubt EA would publish a game like battlefield with only bolt-action rifles. There trend over the past few games has been to speed up infantry gameplay. If they do only have bolt action rifles than I think it will be much better than a run and gun shooter.

There were automatic rifles in WW1, no alternate reality shenanigans are necessary (Kotaku says there aren't any). The Chauchat and BAR come to mind, and the Fedorov Avtomat. E: And the Madsen LMG, the Lewis gun, and probably some other automatic rifles or machine guns light enough to carry in a game.

Edited by VKing

A World War One game? That isn't exclusively set in Verdun or the Somme? Colour me shocked! Shocked I say!

I like it.

I wonder if they'll make a decent single player campaign for this one. As one of, like, three WW1 games it deserves it IMO.

There were automatic rifles in WW1, no alternate reality shenanigans are necessary (Kotaku says there aren't any). The Chauchat and BAR come to mind, and the Fedorov Avtomat. E: And the Madsen LMG, the Lewis gun, and probably some other automatic rifles or machine guns light enough to carry in a game.

The Lewis gun aswel

I too hope there are only bolt action rifles

Unless they implement a frontline system, like Verdun, this will be BF4 with less weapons.

The fact that they used a modern song should tell something. If the Fallout series used modern songs it simply wouldn't be the same.

Edited by W-Cephei

Unless they implement a frontline system, like Verdun, this will be BF4 with less weapons.

The fact that they used a modern song should tell something. If the Fallout series used modern songs it simply wouldn't be the same.

I'm not quite sure the song a marketing person picked is necessarily representative of what the design team intends.

Yes it will be battlefield, No it wont be Verdun.

I for one would like to see them go back to what initially made battlefield great as a franchise, unique squad and team based mechanics that don't really exist elsewhere in the genre. Examples that come too mind are the Artillery pieces in 1942, the tunnel system in Vietnam, Heli-lifting in veitnam, the way classes meshed so well into a team in Bad Company(both), etc. 

I think a 1st World War setting will lend itself really well to game modes like Rush, where you have set attackers and defenders seizing key objectives.

They already messed around with a hardcore suppression mechanic in BF4. Used to be if you had an MG shooting at you, your accuracy pretty much decreased to 0. Wasn't as well built as RO2, but in the same vein.

It disappeared mostly due to backlash in BF4, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back with some modifications to make bayonets and melee a bit more of a viable option.

I look forward to shooting a rider off a horse with an M1911.

I think a 1st World War setting will lend itself really well to game modes like Rush, where you have set attackers and defenders seizing key objectives.

I agree this might make Rush playable again, and if it's a tease with dreadnaughts also i would love this.

I just hope the Biplane dog-fighting isn't on rails like battlefront.

Very pleasantly surprised, I haven't been so interested in a upcoming Battlefield game since Bad Company (TBH a WW1 Bad Company like single player would be fucking awesome)

Think of all the DLC/ expansions they could do in an interwar setting: the Russian revolution, the Italian invasion of north Africa, the Spanish Civil War...

Honestly I think what they're doing is a great idea. Not to much of a fan of all the futuristic games coming out more or less just makes me feel like I'm playing a edited version of halo. I think they'll be able to develop the game properly and will have majority of the public and gamers excited to play it and enjoy it.

Edited by j0zh94

if it could be properly played and have some close realistic game mechanics i would be in...so it feels to arcade to me and i cant stand games where people can get shot and heal themselfs in seconds and jump around like nothing again...mod support for bf and everything would be great but then everybody would use mods and their precious franchise would fall apart like meth addicts...
Even if the scenario is great but the game style ever screwed it for me.