The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Sign in to follow this  
Maffa

Take on Call of Duty from The Guardian

I wanted to share this article with you guys. This is probably the best opinionated piece of news i've read about videogmes in the last 6 months or so, and it makes me wonder even more since it comes from a non vg-only newspaper

Earlier this week, Activision announced the latest title in its multi-gazillion-selling Call of Duty series. Subtitled Infinite Warfare – a level of titular hyperbole only previously explored by Marvel films and pay-per-view wrestling events – it takes the action into the far future, and more importantly, into space. The teaser trailer is a bewildering opera of explosions, zero-G dogfights and sociopathic astronaut melee combat – so it should have dominated online discussion among shooter fans for at least a few hours.  But Activision did something unexpected. It announced that an intricately remastered version of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare would be shipping with special editions of the game. While all subsequent Call of Duty titles have longingly harked back to this absolutely seminal FPS title, none so far have more-or-less relied on it for a publicity push. The problem is, Modern Warfare seemed to attract more excitement and discussion than Infinite Warfare. In that moment, it’s arguable the first-person shooter, as a big budget, mainstream concern, crossed over into the nostalgia industry.  In music, this happens all the time with bands. At some point, touring becomes not a way to test and celebrate new material, but to appease long-running fans who just want to hear the hits. Sure, they’ll still grudgingly buy the latest release and may concede there are one or two good tracks, but what they really want is that 180g vinyl reissue of the group’s classic album, complete with unreleased tracks and limited edition art card inserts. Eventually, fans of legacy rock acts don’t really want the music anymore, they just want to be young again.

Activision's getting desperate. Call of Duty's sales have been in decline for the past three or four years and they're gonna start suffering net losses unless they reverse that trend.

I don't understand why Infinity Ward was given the go ahead to make yet another future-themed game that's doomed to sell poorly and not come up with a fresh idea like an RPG or ArmA-type Mission Editor (i.e. combining all the content of the MW series into a single game and allow players to build their own single/multiplayer scenarios), which would've required less effort and would probably sell much better.

Infinity ward has been a shell of its former self for a long time. The entire team left after MW2 after getting screwed by activision for money owed. All titles afterwards have been reusing the same assets and engine that he original team developed and multiplayer is bland and filled with the worst multiplayer community that has ever existed. Im not paying $80 for a remastered title I already own on steam which has mod support.

I would not be surprised if after few weeks/months there would be more people playing Modern Warfare than Infinity.

Stopped playing CoD after MW2. All my friends are playing CoD 4 again and they told me the servers are packed again, and the no hacked lobbies like in the past.

They were joking that it would be hilarious if people just boycotted the new CoD and just started playing the original CoD 4 again.

fusionpoo, on 04 May 2016 - 23:42, said:

multiplayer is bland and filled with the worst multiplayer community that has ever existed.

You got that right. Not even Counter Strike's playerbase is as bad Call of Duty's. At least CS players only act like 12 year old jackasses for the irony and you can have an actually stimulating conversation every once in a while. Unlike CoD, who behave like 12 year old jackasses because they are.

fusionpoo, on 04 May 2016 - 23:42, said:

Im not paying $80 for a remastered title I already own on steam which has mod support.

Same. Call of Duty 4 had perfect graphics that still shine bright after a decade. No need for a makeover when you already look like a bombshell.

Does anyone still make Call of Duty mods anymore? There hasn't been a moddable Call of Duty since World at War (which had a Vietnam mod vastly better than Blacks Ops).

I feel like maybe I should redownload my copy if the mod community's active again.

Edited by extracrispi

multiplayer is bland and filled with the worst multiplayer community that has ever existed.

Not quite, I feel the League of Legends community is worse, but not by much.

Nothing here's interesting.

I replayed CoD4 not too long ago, and it wasn't terribly good that time around. And that's the game that had "good" writing.

CoD Multiplayer is literally the same game for the past eight years, nothing to bother considering here.

CoD Multiplayer is literally the same game for the past eight years, nothing to bother considering here.

MW2 had a 3rd person mode and it was the most fun I have had with online multiplayer. If they bring that specific game mode back for online play, then I might just be tempted to consider.

Aren't they already remastering COD4? COD4 was very good and pretty balanced but MW2 knocked it's socks off in terms of fun.