The website is under maintenance - To keep up to date of the current status, please read more here. Normal forum functions should resume over the next few weeks.

Brainling

AP won't engage?

So I finally went digging tonight to figure out why sometimes my auto-pilot would just not work, at all. You could hit the switch in the cockpit, nothing. Hardware switch on my throttle, nothing. Tonight I was flying TFR NOE and couldn't get AUTO TFR to engage.

Well it seems that sometimes when loading in post-ramp start (aka taxiway, or in the air), the game has decided to put your MPO (Manual Pitch Override, just above and to the left of the throttle) in to OVRD, instead of NORM. No pitch AP can be used in OVRD. Of course the F-16's entire AP system is pitch dominant, so if you can't use pitch AP you basically can't use the AP.

This may be a big duh to some people, but I heard someone else point out today they had AP issues from time to time. If you load in and can't engage AP (once you're in the air, it won't engage on the ground), check your MPO and make sure the game didn't load you in with it on OVRD.

This is what the switch looks like:

e1mH6xv.png

Yeah, it happens to me a majority of the time as well. That's why I finally had enough last night and went searching.

No idea. If this does end up being the cause for most people (loading in with MPO click to OVRD) you kind of just chalk it up to the BMS gods and add a new step to your pre-flight.

I am curious why it only happens to a few people, in that case it has to be related to something you configured differently. As this never happened to me or any of my usual guys I fly with.

I wonder if there's a log of sorts that keeps all the input activity tracked? Key presses, sim actions, etc.

I wonder if there's a log of sorts that keeps all the input activity tracked? Key presses, sim actions, etc.

There is in U1, though I haven't tried it:

g_bLogInputFunctions 1

See the BMS manual p.247.

I checked last night, I have nothing bound to MPO, so I doubt it's an input state issue. Honestly now that I know what the cause is, I don't really care that much. it's just another switch to check in the cockpit.