WA Lancer

Building a Computer

I have no idea what I am doing, I broke my gaming laptop and am looking to build a tower.

Anyone have any suggestions based on current hardware out there and a price range of around 1500-1800 USD?

I am currently doing a little bit of research but i have to walk a mile up to read to get internet access after work in this shitty ass barracks.

There are a few questions thst will help narrow things down.

What is your target resolution? 1080p, 1440p, or higher?

How many monitors do you plan on utilizing?

Are you using workstation software like CreativeSuite, AutoCAD, Maya, etc?

What are your storage needs?

Do you have a preference for AMD/ATI or Intel/Nvidia?

Do you need a compact form factor case?

There are a few questions thst will help narrow things down.

What is your target resolution? 1080p, 1440p, or higher?

How many monitors do you plan on utilizing?

Are you using workstation software like CreativeSuite, AutoCAD, Maya, etc?

What are your storage needs?

Do you have a preference for AMD/ATI or Intel/Nvidia?

Do you need a compact form factor case?

To add onto this, what is your budget?

Edited by Slaughter

Considering the space/travel concerns, you may want to consider a mini ITX build with a smaller case.

I will try to throw something out there a bit later. Force had a thread on his recent ITX build. Looking at that may give you a few ideas.

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/26163-building-an-itx-form-factor-setup-force-style/?do=findComment&comment=312396

Some parts would be changed obviously, but it can give you an idea of space/travel concerns.

Pascal 16nm architecture graphics cards are coming out sometime this summer with the 1070 and 1080. If it is even half as powerful as the recent specs they have been boasting, it might be worth waiting for them to come out.

Pascal 16nm architecture graphics cards are coming out sometime this summer with the 1070 and 1080. If it is even half as powerful as the recent specs they have been boasting, it might be worth waiting for them to come out.

I would get a cheap placeholder card and wait for this, tbh.

Considering the space/travel concerns, you may want to consider a mini ITX build with a smaller case.

I will try to throw something out there a bit later. Force had a thread on his recent ITX build. Looking at that may give you a few ideas.

http://forums.unitedoperations.net/index.php/topic/26163-building-an-itx-form-factor-setup-force-style/?do=findComment&comment=312396

Some parts would be changed obviously, but it can give you an idea of space/travel concerns.

I would also consider this as well, pretty much what you have currently but with a Gigabyte G1 Z170 ITX and either a Fractal Nano S or Phanteks Evolv ITX case. 

Are you sticking to games that only require 60hz or are you looking for 144hz?  AOC makes decent monitors, a little cheaper and still good quality.

To add onto the other's questions are you looking at a full set up (OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor, headset/speakers etc)?

To fill in for Lancer given his circumstances: 

He's looking for the tower+components and OS. Everything else he already has/doesn't need to buy. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/txC723

This is what I threw together.

I took the counts advice and threw in a place holder graphics card and left 500 dollars in the budget to buy the 1070 or 1080 when it comes out.

Also

Fiio E07K Andes USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier Black

If you care about sound at all. Motherboard sound cards do a good job these days though.

Edited by Dave1

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q6kNJx this is what i have so far from vospo and refinement fron j0zh

This is a good setup, the only consideration you might want to have - get a cheap graphics card and wait for the next generation cards that are coming out in the summer.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xhr4XL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Xhr4XL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.98 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($72.73 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($157.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($71.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8GB Tri-X OC Video Card  ($389.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.95 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($85.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1416.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 13:52 EDT-0400

CPU:The i7-6700K is the current top end consumer Intel processor and features 4 cores with hyper threading. I know you like to make small videos and have been very active in map making and this CPU would serve you very well.
Cooler: The CPU cooler is very effective while remaining quiet. It does take up a lot of space and is heavy, so if mobility of your PC is a priority I can change this out for something better in that sense. It will allow you ample overclocking.
Motherboard: A good motherboard that has all the bells and whistles without paying an overprice for needless features. If features both Crossfire and SLI support and should last you for a long, long time.

Memory: 16GB RAM is overkill for gaming, but since you like content creation this will come in handy.
SSD: The Samsung 850 EVO is the de facto standard within SSDs and I have personally been very satisfied with my own.
HDD: I saved a lot of money on the 2TB HDD compared to the WD Black. Seagate gets a lot of prejudice when it comes to reliability, but much akin to how AMD was known for bad graphic drivers at one point there is little to it now. I have had the same drive for 3 years and have experienced no problems. The testaments on PCpartpicker, newegg and other sites back this up.
GPU: With the GPU we walk into biggest variable of the entire build. At this point in time there is little to no point in going with Nvidia. AMD is equal or beating Nvidia in DX11 with their R9 380, 380X, 390 and 390X versus GTX 960, 970 and 980. Nvidia holds the upper hand with the GTX 980 Ti in DX11 against the R9 Fury and Fury X and especially on lower resolutions such as 1080p. AMD cards do better at higher resolutions such as 1440p and 4K. When it comes to DX12 AMD is dominating Nvidia with the current line up and if you want to invest in a GPU now your safest bet would be an AMD card. I choose the R9 390X since I believe you use 1080p monitors and going up to the R9 Fury wouldn't gain you any significant benefits compared to costs.
If you can wait for either Nvidia's Pascal or AMD's Polaris GPUs which are expected in July I would suggest an R9 380 with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. It is cheaper and should get you through the wait without being a torment. It is also more likely to retain its market value compared to a GTX 960.
Case: A good looking and very solid case. It leaves ample space for storage expansion with two 2.5 and two 3.5 inch drive bays.
PSU: Not much to say. The sun will likely implode before the EVGA Supernova fails you. The PSU version of the Samsung 850 EVO.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pLjwMp

Did this for a friend of mine, took me one hour to get it together.
This is a longterm solution which allows overclocking, replacing the CPU to a better one and adding a second graphic card, RAM could even be overclocked and put more in.
I would estimate this as a base to last for 8 years, 5 years without any changes as shown.

Edited by kOepi

I would estimate this as a base to last for 8 years, 5 years without any changes as shown.

5 years is already a stretch for any system.

In the world of technology being suppressed and calculated obsolescence the only graduate increased outcome is profit. My system base was medium class and is from 2006 and I dont expect Arma 4 to come out before the next 4 years.
If one wants to have 60 FPS in any game during the next 5 years, I have to agree with you, but the system I propose is on higher quality and sustainability than other systems in the same price range.

Edited by kOepi

In the world of technology being suppressed and calculated obsolescence the only graduate increased outcome is profit. My system base was medium class and is from 2006 and I dont expect Arma 4 to come out before the next 4 years.

If one wants to have 60 FPS in any game during the next 5 years, I have to agree with you, but the system I propose is on higher quality and sustainability than other systems in the same price range.

Well, considering this will be a gaming machine...

GTX 1080 and 1070 are released soon - this could decrease prices for currently predominant GPU's. :) 

I just recently purchased the GTX 970 ACX Cooler 4GB card off of Amazon and absolutely love it! Increased my FPS a good 20 frames. The card was right around $320, it is pretty expensive depending on your budget but I would recommend especially if you have Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping, you just can't beat it.

With the GTX 1070 right around the corner in the beginning of next month it would be best to hold off from buying a GTX 970 now. Either buy a GTX 1070 or wait for the prices to drop on the GTX 970. 

Definitely hold off on the build until the 1070 comes out, prices on older gen graphics cards will go down, or it's worth to spend the extra money for a little more performance headroom with the 1070. I'll be upgrading from x2 670s SLI to a 1070 or 1080, depending on the performance difference of the 1070 versus the 1080.

I'm thinking about upgrading my computer, I'll be using everything that I'm not buying, tell me what you guys think about it, keep in mind this is roughly within my budget as everything is more expensive here:

Intel i5 6600K

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P LGA1151

Gigabyte GTX 1060 mini ITX OC 6GB

2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x16GB DDR4 2400Mhz CL16

So to recap, i5 6600k, 160 GTX 6gb and 32gb of RAM.

Thoughts?