Slider

Gaming headset

Thank you, Count. As much as that suggestion is appreciated, it's not an option in my case. It's too much of a hindrance and I simply to not need that level of quality. Honestly, I probably wouldn't differentiate that and a G930. I've owned Creative speakers before and was very pleased. Will look into the brand.

So you're purposely buying a shitty product because you don't "need" sound quality, and you won't be able to tell a difference in sound quality of something you've never tried. Got it.

Edited by The Count

So you're purposely buying a shitty product because you don't "need" sound quality, and you won't be able to tell a difference in sound quality of something you've never tried. Got it.

REMINDER: It is our job to make suggestions, not to bash on people if they exclude one of these due to personal preferences.

BTT

788 def. lags some option more expensive versions do have, absolutely right.

Unecessary, Count....unecessary. Try to imagine this as buying a car: I won't buy an SUV just because it takes same amount of people as, lets say a Civic. I won't buy it because it does it at 3 times the cost I don't want to pay. Both will fullfill a purpose I need, but I do not need or want to pay more, if I can do it for less.

What you may find "shitty", I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. We're not all audio-nerds.

Unecessary, Count....unecessary. Try to imagine this as buying a car: I won't buy an SUV just because it takes same amount of people as, lets say a Civic. I won't buy it because it does it at 3 times the cost I don't want to pay. Both will fullfill a purpose I need, but I do not need or want to pay more, if I can do it for less.

What you may find "shitty", I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference. We're not all audio-nerds.

He's saying you get the same or better quality for cheaper. 

It's extra hassle though. YMMV

The X12 Artic version is currently on sale from Turtle beach for 30 bucks (probably trying to reduce inventory), free shipping with Prime.
I realize they may not be "professional audio headphones" but I have used a set of x12's ( the same set actually, just replaced them a month ago, RIP) for gaming since 2009 due to their clear, crisp mids, accurate bass, very large soundstage, quality mic, in line amp and mic monitor.
I use my ATH-M50x's, which actually are professional audio headphones (and, oddly enough [or not, seeing as they are the de jure headphones for any sound pro], the very set pictured in that oh-so-polite infographic), for, you guessed it, professional audio purposes, like audio mixing, sampling, and DJ'ing.
"But S4dGuy!" you might say, "They're professional audio headphones that cost 4 times as much! Clearly superior!", and you would be correct, is your goal is 100% accurate uncolored sound with a near perfectly flat frequency response without a care for cost.
And, I might add, if that is indeed your goal as a CONSUMER of sound, well, uh.... ya know go ahead. Your money.
The sound coloring that results from a speaker's unique design characteristics is not a negative, it's a positive. You just have to pick the right speaker for the right set of sounds, and the x12's characteristics are great for gaming and voice.
I mean, you wouldn't use a set of monitors as a hifi set, would you? As stage speakers?

That was a rhetorical question. The answer is no, please don't do that.

Edited by S4dGuyInSn0

The X12 Artic version is currently on sale from Turtle beach for 30 bucks (probably trying to reduce inventory), free shipping with Prime.

I realize they may not be "professional audio headphones" but I have used a set of x12's ( the same set actually, just replaced them a month ago, RIP) for gaming since 2009 due to their clear, crisp mids, accurate bass, very large soundstage, quality mic, in line amp and mic monitor.

I use my ATH-M50x's, which actually are professional audio headphones (and, oddly enough [or not, seeing as they are the de jure headphones for any sound pro], the very set pictured in that oh-so-polite infographic), for, you guessed it, professional audio purposes, like audio mixing, sampling, and DJ'ing.

"But S4dGuy!" you might say, "They're professional audio headphones that cost 4 times as much! Clearly superior!", and you would be correct, is your goal is 100% accurate uncolored sound with a near perfectly flat frequency response without a care for cost.

And, I might add, if that is indeed your goal as a CONSUMER of sound, well, uh.... ya know go ahead. Your money.

The sound coloring that results from a speaker's unique design characteristics is not a negative, it's a positive. You just have to pick the right speaker for the right set of sounds, and the x12's characteristics are great for gaming and voice.

I mean, you wouldn't use a set of monitors as a hifi set, would you? As stage speakers?

That was a rhetorical question. The answer is no, please don't do that.

Do you use DAC/AMP for audio technica headphones?

REMINDER: It is our job to make suggestions, not to bash on people if they exclude one of these due to personal preferences.

BTT

788 def. lags some option more expensive versions do have, absolutely right.

He got suggestions to disregard gaming headsets because they are junk and ignored it.

I'm far from an audio nerd and I have some significant hearing damage and I can tell the difference between "high end" gaming headsets like Astro A40's and my 8 year old Audio Technica AD700's.  You can be within your budget and have far better sound and mic quality than most every gaming headset available. 

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR60e-Headphones/dp/B00KYTNU9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458617527&sr=8-1&keywords=sr60e or http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458617799&sr=8-1&keywords=mdr+7506

http://www.amazon.com/Condenser-Multimedia-Microphone-Especially-Conference/dp/B014ULW9GC/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1458617672&sr=1-19&keywords=desk+microphone

Edited by The Count

He got suggestions to disregard gaming headsets because they are junk and ignored it.

I didn't ignore it. Learn to understand the difference between ignoring something, and listening to advice and replying with a reasoning why I didn't go with it. Advice is just that, advice. Not something someone MUST do. I clearly stated several times what my circumstances are. I want to get most convenience at best price, even if the convenience sacrifices little bit of quality. I'd love to have best stuff, but if it'll be in the way, no thanks.

I see you're stuck to the "gaming headset" thing, whatever that may be. I stated it before and I'll say it again: I am looking for a piece of audio equipment with 2 speakers next to my ears and a microphone with main use being gaming. That is all.

You can't go wrong with any circumaural  Sennheiser Period.

I have been through about 6-8 headsets both for gaming and for audiophiles and my PC 363Ds that I have now are easily my favorite. I would be willing to part with my old Razer Tiamat which had above average sound quality but the shittiest microphone I have encountered for cheap.

Logitch's headsets are all great value for what you pay but I had broken all of the cords or plugs in the two pairs I owned.

I have a pair of Astro A50s somewhere I still use from time to time, best sound quality you will get wireless audio from outside of professional equipment but again the microphone is still lacking, yet better than the Tiamat.

If you decide to go the headset + attached mic route the Antlion Mod-Mic is fantastic although the magnetic connector is slightly aggravating in my experience.

I could recommend some studio quality equipment  I have my eye on for my next upgrade (wont be happening any time soon). But I imagine outside your budget.

TL:DR Sennheiser

Edit: Also if you don't have anyone the noise would bother or the need to block out lots of outside noise go open-back. It makes a difference.

Edited by Briland

I didn't ignore it. Learn to understand the difference between ignoring something, and listening to advice and replying with a reasoning why I didn't go with it. Advice is just that, advice. Not something someone MUST do. I clearly stated several times what my circumstances are. I want to get most convenience at best price, even if the convenience sacrifices little bit of quality. I'd love to have best stuff, but if it'll be in the way, no thanks.

I see you're stuck to the "gaming headset" thing, whatever that may be. I stated it before and I'll say it again: I am looking for a piece of audio equipment with 2 speakers next to my ears and a microphone with main use being gaming. That is all.

Disregarding, ignoring, little difference. Get whatever you want, dude.

Do you use DAC/AMP for audio technica headphones?

All headphones plugged into a computer use a converter and amplifier, but that wasn't the intent of your question.

Do I use an external DAC? Technically yes, but really no, because I have a dedicated sound card, which kind of bypasses the question of "is my onboard sound good enough".

Additionally my monitor headphones spend most of their time plugged into either a G2V controller or the monitor slot on a UCA202 (a USB DAC(the techically yes bit) meant for line level RCA input/output, not headphone usage) , and not my computer directly.

Additionally x12's have an in-line amp which is really nice for a budget headset.

If I didn't have a sound card, would I? Probably.

Edited by S4dGuyInSn0

After buying many, many different headsets whilst being at UO.. I gave up on them as they were simply just not cost effective for me (or that good). Like others, I went with a high grade (for me) headphones and a relatively low cost microphone+stand.

Disregarding, ignoring, little difference. Get whatever you want, dude.

Thans for your "advice". Others are far more helpful with suggestions than your flame war enticing comments.

Briland, I think it was you I talked in TS this weekend about that. Open back might be an option if it's not too loud. I'll check out the 363D and A50 you mentioned.

To get back on topic: I used to use a plantronics gamecom 367 headset. Most comfortable headset I've ever used, but simply because they're the only headset I've used that sits completely around the ears.

Audio quality was adequate, seem to remember the mic being good but the speakers being mediocre to average. They fell apart quite quickly. I ended up with 2 sets somehow, probably a replacement set plus the original and ended up swapping bits from one to the other to keep it going. They were fairly cheap eitherway.

I recommend it simply for doing the job and being comfortable, though don't expect it to last very long.

Pax recommended a Gamecom 788, obviously this is a higher spec version of the headset. might be less prone to collapse.

At the moment I'm using a clip-op zalman mic and earbuds. even cheaper but you won't get a clip on mic as close to your mouth so it won't sound as clear.

Edited by Sandiford

Thans for your "advice". Others are far more helpful with suggestions than your flame war enticing comments.

Briland, I think it was you I talked in TS this weekend about that. Open back might be an option if it's not too loud. I'll check out the 363D and A50 you mentioned.

Those two I mentioned are the more expensive models, they each have more economic versions though. The PC 320 and the A30 respectively. Both are slightly above your stated budget but what I would consider "Good" headsets. Between the two I would go for the 320 but the A30 has good points too (especially if you don't have a external DAC or dedicated sound card, the mix-amp would be a big help.)

I was fortunate enough to get the PC 363D new at 33% off. Amazon appears to be beating that that the moment which is extremely impressive. A deal I would recommend anyone to spring for despite being out of budget. Unfortunately this headset only reaches its full potential with a proper external DAC or Sound Card but the included USB DAC would be more than enough for your needs.

In my opinion (most people will probably disagree with this point) if you don't spring at least one of the low-high-end headphones, usually around 100-150$, you're better off buying a cheap 20-40$ one until you can spring for a nicer one.

If you insist on the Sub 100$ range I recommend the Wireless Logitech G930 or the wired version of the same headset the G35. I owned both of these (Although older models) and each lasted me for about a year and a half of decent abuse before I then moved on to better headphones. With proper care they should last longer.

Edited by Briland

Those two I mentioned are the more expensive models, they each have more economic versions though. The PC 320 and the A30 respectively. Both are slightly above your stated budget but what I would consider "Good" headsets. Between the two I would go for the 320 but the A30 has good points too (especially if you don't have a external DAC or dedicated sound card, the mix-amp would be a big help.)

I was fortunate enough to get the PC 363D new at 33% off. Amazon appears to be beating that that the moment which is extremely impressive. A deal I would recommend anyone to spring for despite being out of budget. Unfortunately this headset only reaches its full potential with a proper external DAC or Sound Card but the included USB DAC would be more than enough for your needs.

In my opinion (most people will probably disagree with this point) if you don't spring at least one of the low-high-end headphones, usually around 100-150$, you're better off buying a cheap 20-40$ one until you can spring for a nicer one.

If you insist on the Sub 100$ range I recommend the Wireless Logitech G930 or the wired version of the same headset the G35. I owned both of these (Although older models) and each lasted me for about a year and a half of decent abuse before I then moved on to better headphones. With proper care they should last longer.

That is what I am aiming for. So far, everything I've been owning has been lasting for 3+ years before any signs of problems. Even flimsy TIR clip took 5 years to snap and only because it got squeezed. A few friends have G930s, so I'll see if I can try it out, but other stuff might be an option. Still have to look at prices in Canada, because rigged money value :dry:

All headphones plugged into a computer use a converter and amplifier, but that wasn't the intent of your question.

Do I use an external DAC? Technically yes, but really no, because I have a dedicated sound card, which kind of bypasses the question of "is my onboard sound good enough".

Additionally my monitor headphones spend most of their time plugged into either a G2V controller or the monitor slot on a UCA202 (a USB DAC(the techically yes bit) meant for line level RCA input/output, not headphone usage) , and not my computer directly.

Additionally x12's have an in-line amp which is really nice for a budget headset.

If I didn't have a sound card, would I? Probably.

Interesting and complicated.Thanks for answering.

Edited by enex

I use to rock plantronics 780's for 4 years. I bought two pairs over the last 4 years. I ended up going to sennheiser hd 598s and there is no going back from there. I recommend saving pennies up and buying a decent pair of headphones but it's up to you man. It's your money.

Edited by Slaughter

I've had the Plantronics Gamecom 780 for awhile now. My biggest gripe with them is how well they work with the Track IR. If you have a TrackClip Pro, good luck getting it to fit snuggly on the headset. The arms (see the metal pieces) are too wide for the part that clips on to your headset band. As such, it's loose and needs to be adjusted while gaming. I've also had this destroy two of my TrackClip Pros. Because they were wobbly, they eventually just wore out and broke.

I personally will be avoiding the Gamecom series only for this purpose. If you don't use TrackIR, or you don't use the TrackClip Pro, and you never plan to then go with the Gamecom 788 (assuming they didn't screw up between 780 => 788).

I don't own one, but I've heard enough glowing recommendations that I'd advocate for a regular pair of headphones and a Antlion Modmic.

I've had the Plantronics Gamecom 780 for awhile now. My biggest gripe with them is how well they work with the Track IR. If you have a TrackClip Pro, good luck getting it to fit snuggly on the headset. The arms (see the metal pieces) are too wide for the part that clips on to your headset band. As such, it's loose and needs to be adjusted while gaming. I've also had this destroy two of my TrackClip Pros. Because they were wobbly, they eventually just wore out and broke.

I personally will be avoiding the Gamecom series only for this purpose. If you don't use TrackIR, or you don't use the TrackClip Pro, and you never plan to then go with the Gamecom 788 (assuming they didn't screw up between 780 => 788).

I don't own one, but I've heard enough glowing recommendations that I'd advocate for a regular pair of headphones and a Antlion Modmic.

I agree with you on the TIR Clip not fittitng well on the headset, but I've never had a clip break on me because of that. I have broke many TIR clips from dropping my headset off my desk however...

After 4-5 of having the TIR Clip, it already broke once, so I might end up making my own metal attachment, depending on headset. Still holding off on purchase and looking around local area to see what the selection is. Thanks again for suggestions.

I believe there are already multiple types of TIR compatible headphone clips available that are both stronger and cheaper than TIR's own clip. Some are IR reflectors, like TIR, whilst others are IR emitters.

TIR Clip Pro is an IR emmitter. Any sort of gizmo with 3 IR emitters will works just fine. The reflector doesn't work well in my case due to glare on a wall behind me.