Impulse 9

Charter 3.7 Modification

Charter 3.7 Modification  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Charter 3.7 Modification

• Yes
    • No

Original Charter Definition

3.7 - The rules of this community shall be applied equally across all mediums and services including, the Forums, TeamSpeak, and Game Servers.

Proposed Charter Definition

3.7 - The rules of this community shall be applied equally across all mediums and services.

Intent - Removal of Forum, Teamspeak and GameServers as uniquely defined sources where this rule applies.

This poll requires a 3/4 vote lasting 2 weeks.

Going to have to vote no, there is not enough text explaining the proposed change.

(voted yes)

"All mediums and services owned by United Operations."

Unnecessary, the charter is for United Operations, what else is it going to apply to.

Voted yes, will include the wiki. 

Unnecessary, the charter is for United Operations, what else is it going to apply to.

Voted yes, will include the wiki. 

The problem is that regulars are required to adequately represent UO outside UO.

The problem is that regulars are required to adequately represent UO outside UO.

Is it a problem to enforce the charter when representing UO on third-party services?

This would only apply to UnitedOperations hosted and maintained services (such as Skype/Discord/Teamspeak/Forums/Wiki/Databases/AAR/Misc Games and titles yet to be determined).

That said if users are acting as representatives of UnitedOperations and are caught breaking the rules of this community those actions as well could still be held against them in some regard should it be appropriate. i.e. cheating/impersonation and the like.

At least from how I am reading into it.

Is it a problem to enforce the charter when representing UO on third-party services?

Not at all, except non-regulars are not asked to do it.

Edited by W-Cephei

The wording of the existing paragraph list services as "including", it doesn't mean that the other services are excluded.

It applies to the wiki as it is.

The wording of the existing paragraph list services as "including", it doesn't mean that the other services are excluded.

It applies to the wiki as it is.

^ This change adds nothing. 

I am generally voting no on poorly reasoned charter amendments that have not been subject to a policy discussion to discuss the drafting. Waste of everyone's time and effort.

"All mediums and services owned by United Operations."

This needs to be added, these mediums should be clearly defined. Based on the proposed wording, hypothetically I could be banned for bypassing ACRE on my own locally hosted server, which makes no sense.

This needs to be added, these mediums should be clearly defined. Based on the proposed wording, hypothetically I could be banned for bypassing ACRE on my own locally hosted server, which makes no sense.

Less hypothetically, someone could be banned for hosting a private imageboard related to UO.

That is already the case though, while someone could read the current wording to mean only the forums, teamspeak and server, that reading would be wrong.

The word "including" is not content exclusive.

this is a meaning-neutral change so retards don't get the wrong idea.

Edited by S4dGuyInSn0

Yes, there will be no question that the rules will now apply to Skype/Discord, Steam, Facebook, and anywhere else UO maybe.

Yes, there will be no question that the rules will now apply to Skype/Discord, Steam, Facebook, and anywhere else UO maybe.

Except, the last time I checked, Skype is not official an UO medium. It certainly used to be unofficial, despite its widespread use for officer chat etc). So it doesn't actually clarify anything, unless we accept the charter applies to absolutely every method of communication, regardless of whether or not it has been formally adopted.

Except, the last time I checked, Skype is not official an UO medium. It certainly used to be unofficial, despite its widespread use for officer chat etc). So it doesn't actually clarify anything, unless we accept the charter applies to absolutely every method of communication, regardless of whether or not it has been formally adopted.

Per the proposal I'd say it sounds like the rules would now cover those areas.   

3.7 - The rules of this community shall be applied equally across all mediums and services.

But the bit in bold is undefined. There is nothing in that proposal that should extent the scope of UO services, it merely states that the rules should apply to those services.

It can't mean what it actually says, as otherwise it would cover any communications medium whether related to UO or not. In that case, it begs the question what it does mean. Even if, as Briland/Impulse suggests, we imply into the wording "UO services", how do I know what it a UO service and what is not?

There is no list anywhere. Is it just because UO members happen to use a service and discuss UO on it? How does that square with the previous position that Skype is not an official UO service, but it now apparently is? 

I don't disagree with the underlying rationale and it's not like these are insurmountable issues, but the current proposed wording does nothing to simplify or add clarity to things.

Poll Failed - 66.67%

EDIT - Poll Failed - Mistook vote percentage for standard operation when closing out bulk polls.

Edited by Impulse 9
Corrected - Changes Made