Impulse 9

Charter 1.1 Modification

Charter 1.1 Modification  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Charter 1.1 Modification

• Yes
    • No

Existing:

1.1 - Maturity, Friendship, Professionalism, Respect, Cooperation, Teamwork and Courtesy are the core virtues in our community.

Proposed:

1.1 - Maturity, Friendship, Competence, Respect, Cooperation, Teamwork and Courtesy are the core virtues in our community.

Reasoning:

"Competence" accurately reflects our expectations without implying a paid job.

This poll is put up at regular Request.

This poll requires a 3/4 vote lasting 2 weeks.

Unnecessary and pointless. Being a professional in one's tasks and duties, be it in game or in community, should be a goal one strives for not just mere competency.

Undermines desire for people to excel in abilities and tasking. The desire to be mediocre is fairly insulting.

I would have supported the poll had it been greater then one sentence, had it explained that professionalism implies a level of performance that one is able to purse from a paid career, not from the internet role playing community we are. That "Competence" would expect a familiarity with our SOP's and the ability to follow them with out complication. However one sentence does not justify a change in this community's charter so i cannot support it.

I have to echo Impulse's sentiment. Conducting oneself in a mature, adult, and professional manner should always be an expectation of our community.

While I strive to not associate "amateur" with "incompetent", I don't think "professional" in this context requires one to think of something done as part of a profession.

Professionalism as a character trait doesn't imply a person who's really really really good at their job, after all.

The poll fails to explain why the word "Professionalism" is not suitable in this context.

In my mind, competence implies less skill than professionalism. We want to be good at what we do, not just average or above average. Hence I am voting no.

Absolutely not. Competency just implies being qualified ("the ability to do something well"), professionalism also includes the proper attitude to approach things with ("the skill, good judgment, and polite behavior that is expected from a person who is trained to do a job well").

Maintaining a professional attitude and atmosphere throughout our gameplay on the server is the core of what we are trying to do in this community.

Not to offend the original poster, but why are we debating the semantics of either "professionalism" or "competence" when "fun" was removed as a core principle behind the community several years ago? That's a significantly more important philosophical issue needing investigation.

Force

Absolutely not. Competency just implies being qualified ("the ability to do something well"), professionalism also includes the proper attitude to approach things with ("the skill, good judgment, and polite behavior that is expected from a person who is trained to do a job well").

Maintaining a professional attitude and atmosphere throughout our gameplay on the server is the core of what we are trying to do in this community.

Competence comes from "to compete". You are able to compete on par with others.

Professional comes from "to profess". You profess that you are skilled in something.

I believe that neither of these two terms are able to express the real meaning behind the charter. The word we are looking for here is 'excellency'.

Edited by W-Cephei

Not to offend the original poster, but why are we debating the semantics of either "professionalism" or "competence" when "fun" was removed as a core principle behind the community several years ago? That's a significantly more important philosophical issue needing investigation.

Force

User received a warning point for this post.

Edited by kalohepirate
3.4 - Zero Content, Uninformative, Unhelpful, and Off Topic posting.

I have heard the use of the term "unpaid professional" in reference to dedicated volunteers. Otherwise I never heard the term professional, profession or professionalism to describe a hobby.

Goes to show that the meaning of words change depending on how they are used.

Abstaining. Until I determine the meaning of the words.

Professional

1.2 - A person competent or skilled in a particular activity:

- e.g. she was a real professional on stage

Saw that, but you've skipped ...

1.1 A person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime:

And in the context of this discussion it's argued that it means MORE than competent or skilled.

This discussion is completely out of touch with reality, even if you want to see professionalism implying the possibility of payment (which it doesn't),

nobody here would seriously understand it as such. 

If you ask random new members how they understood the word in the context of the 1.1 Charter paragraph I'm fairly confident that they will reply,

with regards to how we play the game, or better how we conduct ourselves in the ArmA military simulation, the way we approach training and our events.

Everybody knows that we are gaming/simulation online community where nobody can demand payment because a minority of dictionary definitions might imply the 

possibility of compensation.

We really have more important things to work on than these made up semantic discussions.

Force

So much this!

Voting no.

Edited by Edwards

I'm not sure whether to be pleased that I am still learning or embarrassed at my ignorance. I wasn't trolling and am truly surprised that I misunderstood this term for so long. Thanks for the efforts made to explain.

Voting NO.

Q6LVh0G.jpg

Professionalism means much more than just being paid to do something, many of the qualities often associated with professionalism are qualities we should be emulating. No.