Sign in to follow this  
Impulse 9

Overlord for GSO

Add Overlord as a GSO  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Add Overlord as a GSO?

• Yes
    • No

I am interested in contributing to the maintenance and upkeep of United Operations game servers. For some time now, Impulse has shouldered this responsibility with no help or support, staying up late to babysit modpack updates or push configuration changes. Considering my background in IT and my availability, I believe I am an ideal candidate to shoulder some of the maintenance burden. Furthermore, having a second GSO would increase UO's bus factor from 1 to 2, and reduce response time during time critical incidents. Impulse and I have a healthy working relationship and this poll has been posted with his blessing.

This poll requires a simple majority vote lasting two weeks.

While I find your presence on the game server to be generally unoffensive, I cannot recall anything about you that makes you a stand out candidate. No.

HELP! I'm being oppressed!
This user is feeling particularly oppressed right now, perhaps you should comfort them.

EDIT: thanks for the gold

Edited by KmO

No.  While your fully qualified for the position I am a firm believer that there should be a need for the officer in the first place.  With many of the recent officer polls I have voted no based on that fact alone and will be do the same here.  At present with Impulse and Verox as his delegate they have things under control.

I'd like Impulse's input on that, kalohe, but since it appears that Impulse has been consulted and agreed, I don't see a reason not to vote yes.

The words "unpleasant" and "frustrating" come to mind when I recall previous interactions with you. Unfit for a position of power due to the lack of temperance and common sense. No.

EDIT: really, no.

Edited by Rein

I'd like Impulse's input on that, kalohe, but since it appears that Impulse has been consulted and agreed, I don't see a reason not to vote yes.

I will not put words into Impulse's mouth but I did talk with him prior to voting.  I try my hardest to fact check everyone claims before voting, no matter who it is.

What is not happening with the game server office that you want to make happen? What actions or procedures are you intending to facilitate?

Edited by Kevin31

A late reply from myself.

I have maintained the modpack and it's update schedule to not interfere with general playtime when at all possible. With the changes I have made to the modpack and how it is hosted, this changed my update procedure from a simple 15 minute effort to process into something that now takes between two to four hours on average. While an annoyance it is still something that I try to push into the early hours on Tuesdays to prevent interference with play times. This has yet to cause any disruption with my normal work at this time, but it is a concern and something I may need to change if I continue to run these updates myself.

As for a general need for a secondary GSO I am unsure on what tasks roles or functions that Overlord is looking to change or modify outside of modpack maintenance and assistance. I am not opposed to the appointment of a second GSO at this time nor should the community, should a need for a second person in this role if clarified.

My primary motivation is to provide support to Impulse and the community by assisting in the maintenance of the server and modpack. Impulse has stated that late nights for him are a concern, and I would like to alleviate that. I am not intending a shake up of game server management. Beyond that, I have been speaking with Verox about TeamSpeak database mirroring to improve the effectiveness of the backup TS server; this would be a project involving both batch and bash. Furthermore, in the event that something were to happen to Impulse, it is important that the community has a second individual who is able to ensure continuity of service. Thiis is colloquially referred to as the "bus factor" in the IT sector; the transfer of tribal knowledge should not be underestimated.

As for non-technical GSO responsibilities, I have no immediate plans for any modifications to the game server SOP or the GM program. Any changes in that respect would be the result of discussion and collaboration versus a unilateral decision.

In terms of non-specific Officer responsibilities at large, and why I would like to be an officer: I have always held an interest in guiding the direction of our community, and I believe that my dedication to the GM program speaks to my loyalty. I have always had the best for UO at heart and will continue to do so.

Edited by Overlord

Voting no. I believe you have neither the temperament suitable to be an officer, nor do I believe you would move the community in the right direction.