TuffShitSki

Lighting in Arma 3

Hi all,

I guess SweetFX and Reshade are no news to you guys. I found this Reshade preset which improves the lighting in A3. I only tested the standard one and not the Advanced or DoF presets.

The good:

• Makes lighting more realistic IMO
  • Does not degrade performance (1-3 FPS)
  • Easy to use, drop files and forget
  • Can be turn on/off in game

The bad:

• Menu, Maps becomes a bit yellowish but not too annoying to look at

I stop using external shaders since A3 as the base game looks very good already. Just the lighting I don't really like, it looks too dark regardless the time of day.

Below are some screenshots, showing noon and 4pm in game time.

Original

w5rLsPo.jpg

Reshade

HMDt1t0.jpg

Original

Om3BjBP.jpg

Reshade

acSnZcV.jpg

Hope you like it too.

Tuff

Edited by TuffShitSki

This is for all nivida card owners, even if you don't use the shader above.

The shader author posted a tip about enabling FULL RGB MODE on nvidia card. It provides much sharper color when turned on, never knew about this setting.  I can see a *huge* difference when enabled, the monitor becomes much sharper and white/black colors look more solid.

I'm using HDMI connection by the way.

VSY66cz.png

Just looks like they reduced contrast a small bit and turned up saturation.

I should have said color and the look in game especially in day time. I think you are right about the author's intent.

"The Real Light V6 preset for Arma 3 has nearly no noticable FPS drop when using the normal Version.

We are talking about 1-2 Frames per Second max. It uses very lightweight effects to achieve the look."

I suspect that if this is useful/good for you or not, depends more on the ambient light conditions that you're viewing the monitor under than anything else.

Many of these options and configs are end user dependent on what they view as good. I was running a modified visual version of this in the past, with much different settings, eventually while I felt that the game looked better, it became distracting on the map screen when some forest marks were tinted slightly lighter and a bit more yellow which made map reading almost impossible. Many of these prepackaged ENB/Shader mod filters are harmless, but in comparison to the prior benchmark threads a difference of 1-2 FPS wish ArmA can come at significant hardware options. 1-2 FPS at low end testing may be pretty minor but when under load in this engine that same 1-2 FPS scales differently in different situations that can be as large as a 10-15 FPS impact under extreme load in multiplayer.

This is for all nivida card owners, even if you don't use the shader above.

The shader author posted a tip about enabling FULL RGB MODE on nvidia card. It provides much sharper color when turned on, never knew about this setting.  I can see a *huge* difference when enabled, the monitor becomes much sharper and white/black colors look more solid.

I'm using HDMI connection by the way.

VSY66cz.png

This looks nothing like my Nvidia panel... Are you on the latest version?

I was 1 or 2 version behind. Just updated my driver but the setting screen is the same.

f63eBvk.png

Are you using HDMI, DVI, or VGA connection? I'm just rambling here, but my old screen is VGA-connected and I have absolutely no additional settings at all, and TuffShitSki uses HDMI.

Oh, and hello everyone! First post in aaaaaages.

WOW, what a difference!
Can we use this with UO's presets, like including it in Arma3Sync's list?

EDIT: BTW, checked my Nvidia CP and I use DVI Dual Link for 120hz monitor, there are no settings related to color like HDMI link shown above.

Edited by Vinicius