Impulse 9

Charter 4.3.3 Modification

Require Officer polls to have a 2/3 vote?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Require Officer polls to have a 2/3 vote?

• Yes
    • No

4.3.3 - Operations for the induction of new Officers must be decided by a majority vote lasting two (2) weeks.

Changed to:

4.3.3 - Operations for the induction of new Officers must be decided by a two-third (2/3) vote lasting two (2) weeks.

This poll has been posted at Regular Request.

This poll requires a 3/4 Vote and 2 Weeks.

Quite a few votes on this already, but no discussion.

What are the arguments in this case?

Looks to me like this is an attempt to railroad current polls.  The change is valid, but the timing is quite scummy. 

Looks to me like this is an attempt to railroad current polls.  The change is valid, but the timing is quite scummy. 

This won't effect current polls as far as I know.

This charter modification poll will close after the current officer polls. Don't be retarded.

Like overlord said, this shouldn't effect on any poll started before this poll finishes, it has to be voted into the charter before it can be enforced clearly. I have no doubt that this has been brought up because of the recent officer polls, but that isn't a good reason to vote no.  It is important that based on what is happening in the community we sometimes evaluate the way we do things; it is natural that four officer polls in less than a month would prompt something like this.

I am with VKing, I can personally see very valid arguments both for and against this and would like to hear from proponents of both sides. I wish this would have been put up for policy discussion before it was put to a vote.

I feel like I am leaning towards voting yes because I feel that the quality of our officers is extremely important  to the health of the community and that a simple majority may in cases be insufficient to show the communities good faith in an officer.

However I'm abstaining for now pending further discussion.

Voting yes:

An officer position is a core aspect of this community; it requires a great deal of responsibility and should only be granted to those who are support by the vast majority of Regulars and not just a slim majority.

If a Regular poll requires 2/3rds why shouldn't an Officer poll?

I would also support the poll affecting those that were posted a mere two hours prior, even if they change the outcome. 

When the charter was first drafted, was there any reason in particular for officer inductions being set to 50% instead of 66%?

The community is now too large to require this kind of super-majority. We would end up with it being extremely difficult to appoint new officers.

The poll has also failed to introduce a corresponding amendment to removal thresholds, which would mean the standard operation rules would apply. It does not seem right that it requires 66% to get someone in and 50% to remove them.

The community is now too large to require this kind of super-majority. We would end up with it being extremely difficult to appoint new officers.

The poll has also failed to introduce a corresponding amendment to removal thresholds, which would mean the standard operation rules would apply. It does not seem right that it requires 66% to get someone in and 50% to remove them.

Officer removals already require a 2/3 vote

4.3.4 - Officer Removals are conducted by a Personnel Removal Operation

2.2 - Personnel Removal Operation

2.2.1 - Personnel Removal Operations are Standard Operations that last for two (2) weeks and require a two-third (2/3) majority.

Edited by Briland

I'm gonna vote yes

To be honest when I put up my officer poll I was surprised it was a simple majority

As for why I'm voting yes, officers represent and direct the community. An officer should represent the community as a whole and as such should be voted in by the community as a whole.

Voting Yes.

I see the officers as core members of the community and as such should only get the position if they have the backing of the community.

Hasn't this been voted on already, in the past? Not that it'd invalidate this poll, but I swear we've put this to poll before...

Officer removals already require a 2/3 vote

That's even worse. Why would we require 66% of the community to approve of someone to appoint someone in the first place, but allow them to continue when it has dropped to a 34% approval rating?

Edited by IAJT

Hasn't this been voted on already, in the past? Not that it'd invalidate this poll, but I swear we've put this to poll before...

Yes it has. Voting no.

The poll will not affect anyone that has an active poll in process before this poll completes.
Once this poll completes, any poll made from that point forward will be affected by the outcome of this poll.