PaxJaromeMalues

[Wargame Scenario] CinderCity

Hello,

how would one approach such a setup?

(I have no perfect solution, I just saw this attack in a video on my friends hardrivea nd would like to discuss it)

Informations:

- Forces are equal in strength (OpFor has garrisoned City heavy south)

--- This is due to limited ressources in the war

--- and the fact that your attack is taking place at a place where OpFor has no quick ways to send QRF or general reinforcements

--- Higher therefore believes that 1 x Platoon with 1 x IFV support is enough to gain situational superiority over the enemy

- You start in the SW behind a Hill 56 and small forest to your north

- Enemy is unaware of your attack (well... until you attack)

- For unkown reason the enemy stoped patroling the vicinity of CinderCity 2 months ago

- Up Hill fight towards the objective

- It is morning and the sun is coming up

Mission:

- Iniciate attack on Cinder City

- Overwhelm enemy with initial fires and push him north out of town

- If unable to gain full fire superiority, try to cut off the enemy platoon  to S, SW, SE and wait for reinforcements

Support:

- 1 x Bradley IFV

- No planed CAS

- No Company level Fire Support

INTEL: (never trust until you faked it yourself)

Regards,

Pax

I'll give it a shot.

First comments I want to make are:

1. Equal strength forces in an urban assault is not good. The defenders have an advantage, most of the time, especially when not contained to one area of the city or one building. Although the 3:1 attack ratio is recommended, I have read of sources stating 10:1 upwards.
  2. Urban areas are extremely difficult because of their nature - 360 degrees of "anything can blow me the f- up". With such open ground anyone with an RPG can peek and shoot the Bradley within seconds. This means that infantry have to foothold before bringing in the video. Leading to my next point...
  3. This is a combined arms question. Utilizing the Bradley and Heavy Weapons Team (AT especially) is vital to success. Maneuver without their support would be fatal, none the less them taking lead is not a good tactic.
  4. There is a lot of open ground before even meeting the town. Navigating around it therefore may be dangerous, even to get a better angle of attack on it. There are also numerous road/obstacle crossings involved. I can't really tell how the terrain lies and do a good map analysis and I haven't planed CinderCity in AGES so I might be off on some points.

Let's start by splitting up the objective. Not necessarily for multiple teams but like phase lines for each initial region to hit and for communication purposes:

n9KbT17.png

Red is dangerous. Especially for maneuver against the attacking element.

Orange is heavily defended residential area. Probably to put off the idea of a frontal assault. This area can be reinforced.

Yellow is the most dense urban area where the HQ and CCP are located. I suspect units there will remain in place to defend HQ.

Example 1, Western Assault (Flank):

eM8Aufg.pngNot a bad idea if the Bradley and Heavy Weapons Team/Anti-Tank Team are capable. This could lead to a clogged up firefight which is reinforced, none the less. These 9 buildings in orange clearing room-by-room could take a while.

Example 2, Frontal Assault:

JsLW3Zs.png

A nightmare. No doubt would lead to the most casualties. Therefore no center-penetration is recommended.

I think another maneuver like enveloping or pincer might split the forces numbers too low if they become dispersed or too far apart. And they're already low. Concentrating them and keeping the Bradley capable and the Heavy Weapons on overwatch is a priority. There is also limited terrain to do any kind of fighting patrol structure so it comes down to ducking behind one another and avoiding bunching. Satellite patrolling or paralleling would not be advantageous.

My main points would be:

• Destroying IFV and MG bunkers from afar is a good plan if capable. Countering IFV approach to outmaneuver the static bunkers and assault them is also a good plan.
  • Getting into short-range firefights risks not only losing a lot of men but getting clogged down where the enemy can reinforce or out-maneuver. Therefore the Bradley and HWTs should be in support of infantry, and each infantry unit in support of one another.
  • Infantry should use good combined arms approaches. Sending scouts forward. Checking corners and streets before moving. Covering 360 but reinforcing areas of likely approach. Infantry should also have light AT capable and towards the front of the group.
  • The target buildings (TBs) are big areas to clear that may also provide a greater view of the battlefield. Getting trapped/isolated or picked off in these buildings, however, is a bad idea.
  • The center fourway is very dangerous due to multiple IFV potential COA, infantry reinforcement and the MG nest. This place is a cluster. Destroying the IFV and potentially the MG nest will be the only way for a safe road crossing unless you find concealed angles/dead ground.
  • Pushing West may lead to an engagement with multiple IFV. If IFV2 has to maneuver, it is coming from an urban area which may provide cover/concealment. As opposed to IFV3 which is already in a make-do fortified area. Therefore pushing East might lead to a prolonged engagement. Infantry also has more cover from the West, both on approach and once inside where they can set up in buildings.

Ok, so I had a gander at this.

This first thing I'd do is desert my army immediately. My high command is clearly idiotic if they believe we can clear a town while outnumbered and out gunned, with no fire support. This is at least a company level objective if not a battle group objective.

However, assuming that I am either suicidal, very loyal or also idiotic, my plan for attacking the town would come in 5 phases, after the initial move into position.

Phase 1:

3RfEyqy.jpg

As Rye identified the area to the South of the objective is entirely open and well covered by enemy machine guns. However, by the looks of things there is a wood block to the East that should provide cover. This is where I would put my FUP.

From here, the Weapons squad (minus the SMAAW) and the Bradley will hold at the Southern edge in order to put fire on the enemy and attempt to fix them South of the blue line shown. Due to the buildings this will be difficult, however they will also serve the distract the enemy who may move against them rather than against the main infantry assault. With the Javelin and the Bradley's TOW missiles, and IFV that manoeuvres against this force will be destroyed, and the two machine guns and the Bradley's main armament should be enough to fix any infantry that move against them.

Meanwhile the rest of the Platoon, with the SMAAW attached to the rear squad, will move into the town and clear through the first few buildings as quickly as possible. The squad with the SMAAW attached will cover the Northern flank, while the other squads clear the buildings.

The enemy's MLCOA in response to this, in my opinion, is this:
uTJO9sY.jpg

So the SMAAW on the Northern flank can destroy the enemy IFV. The Western Most IFV will probably be destroyed the Javelin, either trying to engage the BOF or to flank the assaulting force.

Phase 2:

iYXEwGi.jpg

Onto Phase 2. The SMAAW and one squad will move to the North in order to isolate the Western side of the blue area, while another squad will isolate the Southern side. The third squad will move forward and clear the shaded area. The BOF will switch their fire further South, and continue to protect the flank of the attack.

The enemy's MLCOA for this phase:
8bMvhPN.jpg

Again the flanking IFV will be destroyed by the SMAAW, while the infantry squad will be blocked by the squad to the South.

Phase 3:

SYDLq83.jpg

We are slowly getting there!

The squad that cleared the last area will move West to cover the Western flank, the Northern most squad will assault the Northern MG bunker and the Eastern squad will clear the next blue area and the enemy HQ.

No change for the BOF.

MLCOA:

lNsZff4.jpg

This counter attack will hopefully be blocked by the Northern most squad.

Phase 4

pQekH54.jpg

The squad that just cleared the previous area will hold in reserve, while the Northern squad assaults the enemy infantry squad to the North, and the central squad pushes South to clear the blue area and the enemy weapons squad. The BOF will concentrate its fire on the Eastern bunker.

No enemy MLCOA for this as all of their units are being engaged.

Phase 5:

T2ZPqpX.jpg

The end is nigh, huzzah.

The end game, the reserve squad assaults the Western bunker while the Northern squad assaults the Eastern, clearing both of any enemy that're left.

Friendly Forces End State:

qFTwZ6n.jpg

The BOF follow the proven route to re org and the squads are moved to defend the town from attack from the North.

Somes notes on this COA:

1. Despite this, attacking this objective held by those forces, with the forces available is suicide and would never happen. We've moved on from the days of Stalingrad where we discovered that this stuff does not work.
  2. This plan relies on the enemy being very inactive. A proactive enemy would be able to flank and destroy the assaulting force.
  3. The terrain makes any approach to the town difficult. It is likely that friendly forces would be engaged on the way to the town, and therefore to move into position would take a long time.
  4. The fact that the enemy aren't patrolling shouts out "Mines!" to me, these are most likely to the South in the red area shown in Phase 1.
  5. Please don't make this a mission.

Additionally, your markers are bad and you should feel bad.

Edited by Herbiie

Somes notes on this COA:

1. Despite this, attacking this objective held by those forces, with the forces available is suicide and would never happen. We've moved on from the days of Stalingrad where we discovered that this stuff does not work.
  2. This plan relies on the enemy being very inactive. A proactive enemy would be able to flank and destroy the assaulting force.
  3. The terrain makes any approach to the town difficult. It is likely that friendly forces would be engaged on the way to the town, and therefore to move into position would take a long time.
  4. The fact that the enemy aren't patrolling shouts out "Mines!" to me, these are most likely to the South in the red area shown in Phase 1.
  5. Please don't make this a mission.

Additionally, your markers are bad and you should feel bad.

1. Absolutely right, the players still did though; So I asked because I was interested in others opinions.

2. ArmA AI

3. Looking at the map right now I think that there is barely any cover at all, except for the hill they spawned behind

4. In the mission in the video there were no mines; they actually attacked the town from south.

5. I am not a retard, I would never do this xD; adding the fact that I am a shit MM

Yes, my markers are shit, serveral people told me.

Pax

1. Absolutely right, the players still did though; So I asked because I was interested in others opinions.

4. In the mission in the video there were no mines; they actually attacked the town from south.

Who did this? Can you link the video/aar (if it was here)?

Edited by VKing

Who did this? Can you link the video/aar (if it was here)?

Was not at UO.

Video was on friends hard drive. Mission took place about 4 years ago on a different map. I tried to picture the scenario as good as possible.

Video is not available on the internet. I can ask him to upload it though, I fhe did not yet delete the file, it was really eating up space on his drive.

Pax