DarkFib3r

Boresighting AGM-65Ds on the ground?

I am wondering if anyone has been able to boresight their AGM-65Ds on the ground?  

I can get the Mavericks powered up and uncaged with GND JETT enabled, but I can't command a point track from the TGP on a building or structure when I am on the ground.  You need to get TGP to point track something to handoff to the Mav before you can realign and boresight the Mav.  It's not too big a deal to boresight them in the air, but I would much rather do this ahead of time, on the ground if possible.

Edited by DarkFib3r

I believe you cannot as it was never intended you would do such as thing. The covers on the seeker heads are supposed to be there to protect them during takeoff, so I wouldn't be surprised it doesn't work that way. Also, I believe the borsighting wouldn't be accurate anyway because you'd be so close to the ground, boresighting the Maverick wouldn't be accurate enough until the tgp can focus at longer distances

Edited by ghostdog

Possibly a weight on wheels switch preventing tracks. You did have master arm on or in SIM right?

I did have master arm on sim, but I retested to make sure.  It seems like you cannot point track buildings, signs, etc, on the ground.  But when I added a Patriot battery, I was able to point track it and calibrate the Mavs on the ground.  Perhaps certain structures are point trackable by the TGP while on the ground?  If you have a wingman, you could always boresight on them on the ground, I suppose.  For all the hassle, it is probably easier to boresight in the air.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Edited by DarkFib3r

The only thing I can say is, its real life SOP not to screw with the weapons on the ground unless your on the arming/dearming pad:

l5Pj9fs.jpg

Just wait until your airborne as VKing said, because you will get a more accurate correction.

Force

It's also worth noting that there's a limited time that the mavericks can a) stay powered on (I think it's 60 minutes per mission, cumulative) and B) be uncaged (30 minutes per mission), so by uncaging on the ground you're basically limiting your CAS station time to 30 minutes minus however long it takes you to get there.

You can power down the mavericks again after you complete the boresight.

Set it to auto power-up again when you get closer.

E: And I believe it's 30 minutes of transmitting video, not being uncaged, so presumably not having mavericks selected should make it not count, but I don't know if how they've made that work in game.

Edited by VKing

According to the manual you get 30 mins of transmitting TV ( I take this to mean 30 mins from when the protective covers are jettisoned), or up to 60 mins of standby time of they are not transmitting.

Odd, you'd think you'd get power off the rails, but I guess they just use their internal batteries for everything.

Also for IR Mavericks, there is probably a coolant bottle that will run out eventually once they've been turned on.

My guess is that BMS only sees "objects" in terms of database objects.  So things like taxi signs that arent in the database, wont be available to the game engine to lock to a tgp.   A patriot battery would be something in the games object database, thus you could lock on it.   Just my guess.  Try it out on some other things like airport radars, control tower, etc.