Sign in to follow this  
TuffShitSki

ACE 3 - Fire Missions

Recently, I saw a few new users completely lost with the artillery roles which they slotted in without knowing there are a bit of learning involved. Figure A2 veterans might also benefit from a quick updates to ACE3 as well.

Hence, I have created a Basic Fire Mission Guide on the wiki. It provides information for the following roles and radio procedures involved:

1. FO
  2. FDO
  3. Gunner

I'm in no way experienced FO or the like in RL or in game but I do know the procedures reasonably well. So please provide feedback here and I can update the page accordingly.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Darksidesix for showing me how mortar works patiently in the past and for creating the up coming training mission with artillery range so everyone can practice the procedures.

TODO:

• Would be good to provide some info for all available artillery guns. I'm not familiar with any other in game rather then the Mk6 mortar, so the guide is based that.
  • UOTC training officers inputs for proper radio procedures that are preferred to be used on primary server

Tuff

Edited by TuffShitSki

After briefly reading over this, I have to say it looks pretty well-done.

Took the liberty to change the title to make it more insightful and easy to find.

After briefly reading over this, I have to say it looks pretty well-done.

Took the liberty to change the title to make it more insightful and easy to find.

Thanks for the inputs. Updated both the wiki title and my first post with updated link.

To answer your second question (as a TI not TO), these are the radio procedures we have been teaching in UOTC FO/FDC courses,

aka the US Army Call for Fire procedures.

To answer your second question (as a TI not TO), these are the radio procedures we have been teaching in UOTC FO/FDC courses,

aka the US Army Call for Fire procedures.

Do you have links to the training slides/docs for that course? Would like to read them.

The current FO Course mission is with the slides on the training server. I'm working on the lesson plan, but it is medium priority right now.

Read through it and did some testing of my own. It's nice that they've fixed the mortar compass.

Anyway, about the guide, apart from some of the radio procedures and examples that you've already discussed, I noticed that the guide specifically references six-digit map grids, but we only use 4-digit grid lines on the map in our modpack.

Additionally: 200m might be a tad close for Danger Close. In reality it's still 600m for an 81mm mortar. That's a bit far for arma, maybe, but at 200m you still stand a real risk of being hit by shrapnel even if the round doesn't land closer than intended.

Read through it and did some testing of my own. It's nice that they've fixed the mortar compass.

Anyway, about the guide, apart from some of the radio procedures and examples that you've already discussed, I noticed that the guide specifically references six-digit map grids, but we only use 4-digit grid lines on the map in our modpack.

Additionally: 200m might be a tad close for Danger Close. In reality it's still 600m for an 81mm mortar. That's a bit far for arma, maybe, but at 200m you still stand a real risk of being hit by shrapnel even if the round doesn't land closer than intended.

Thanks a lot for your inputs, I'll update the guide. I forgot to switch back to UO mod pack that's why my map shows 3 digits when zoomed in.

For danger close, I did few tests before much closer than 200m blast radius and were fine but it was a mistake! The blasts never killed those units but I've never checked their health either, I just assumed they were OK by looking from Zeus.

I just did a few more tests with 200m blast radius:

The red box is a 400m x 400m square. The mortar targeted the 4 edges with 5 rounds per edge.

omkn0b7.jpg

Squad looked fine, no unit was killed from the blast.

RtBybsg.jpg

The entire squad except 1 guy suffered similar or lighter damages.

yTgtbxv.jpg

Same test with civilians, 4 were instantly killed by the blast.

xcahOWi.jpg

Edited by TuffShitSki